A matter of semantics

A matter of semantics

This is a discussion on A matter of semantics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It just occurred to me that politicians want to get guns off the street by taking them away from people who own guns. Well, criminals ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By ExactlyMyPoint
  • 2 Post By blanco64
  • 1 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 3 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By MamaMaria
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: A matter of semantics

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

A matter of semantics

It just occurred to me that politicians want to get guns off the street by taking them away from people who own guns. Well, criminals do not own guns....they HAVE guns. How many of them have actually bought them in a legal fashion? And if they did buy one, they probably bought it from someone who stole it from someone else.

Not that this would matter one bit, but I thought I would mention it.
    zacii likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think the number is somewhere around 93% of firearms used in crime are obtained illegally.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

The gun control laws on the books are for the most part senseless. Here is a novel idea which actually repeats an on the books law.... If you own an "evil" rifle it is legal however if you have one and do not own it then it is illegal. No more senseless then what Senator Feinstein is proposing..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Get criminals off the streets and "gun crime" will go down dramatically, along with "all crime".
    niks and MamaMaria like this.

VIP Member
    What you say is too logical for many politicians to grasp.
    WINTEJER000 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I agree!!
    I think we are missing their goal is to obtain a legal means to disarm the law abiding citizen to control (enslave), the criminal will have and always have a weapon the citizen on the other hand only wants to live in peace

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I think the number is somewhere around 93% of firearms used in crime are obtained illegally.
    96% from what I have been able to determine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I find great irony in the fact that one of the biggest gun grabbing groups out there is "Mayors against ILLEGAL guns." Well, then why are they trying to take them away from people who own them and use them LEGALLY??? Seems to me that ALL of their efforts are aimed against LEGAL gun owners. I don't think they really care about the criminals' guns.

We should start a group called, "Responsible Abiding Gun Enthusiasts Against Crime" or "RAGE Against Crime".
    zacii likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Moderator
    Politicians dont want "crooks" off of the street.

For one, if you do that, it's one step closer to removing them and it makes them uncomfortable.

Second...there is way too much money in it. Since most politicians are lawyers that used to make their living running crooks in and out of the system, there is no benefit to them practicing Justice, rather than "law".

And fact of the mattter is, many Mayors are too self absorbed and self important to have an original thought. They do what they are told to do, same as any other.
    BugDude, Rock and Glock and zacii like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

no one is interesed in reducing crime. Its big business. Think of all the jobs created fighting the war on drugs and keeping us all safe from the boogey man. How many cops live in your neighborhood? I have three
    that park their cars out front within sight of my home.

without criminals, the lawyers, social workers, prison guards, police officers, judges, court reporter, news medial crime reporter, would be out of work. Without illegal drug and gun activity, the GDP of the State
    of Florida would be half of what it is right now. Families would be without any source of income (drug dealers) and homes would be foreclosed, and legitimate businesses would lose customers and close.

The economic impact of eliminating crime would be catastrophic.....so its just easy passing a law that those of us here (the law abiding) will have to follow, and the cops will just have a new division:

The Illegal Assault Rifle - High Capacity Firearm Investigation and Enforcement Division: Poof...instant new jobs for the government workers. And the criminals will do what they always do: Pay no attention to the new law...they're probably laughing hysterically while the rest of us are in a panic.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Change "gun owners" to "gun possessers" and put an end to this issue. Now, on to the clip vs magazine thread.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Where are all these "guns on the street"? I have yet to see a gun sitting on the curb, just lookin' for trouble, in all the places I've ever been. Yes, the whole "get the guns off the street" argument is ridiculous, both practically and grammatically. Stop dumping the CRIMINALS on OUR streets, and I bet you'll see the "gun problem" disappear.
    BugDude likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wholehearted agree with getting guns off the street. They can damage expensive tires if run over.
    MamaMaria likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links