my first handgun

This is a discussion on my first handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought a new stoeger 8040f today and can't wait to shoot. I'm very familiar with rifles but was just recently introduced to handguns. Around here ...

Thread: my first handgun

Smile my first handgun

Bought a new stoeger 8040f today and can't wait to shoot. I'm very familiar with rifles but was just recently introduced to handguns. Around here all the ammunition is hard to come by so had to settle with winchester 180g Target .
    I had a relative tell me to be sure to oil the slide before first time shooting is that really needed with it being new out of the box. Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Congrats! Heard lots of good things about stoegers. Welcome to the club, be safe and practice often (when ammo comes back in stock).
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Welcome and congratulations on the new purchase! I have no experience with Stoeger, but it seems to get solid reviews. In general, any new firearm I purchase gets a strip, clean, and lube before I take her to the range. I find it good to do to familiarize yourself with its operation and assembly, and you'd be surprised how dirty and dry a new "out of the box" pistol can be.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Welcome to the world of handguns. Enjoy your new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    Welcome and congratulations on the new purchase! I have no experience with Stoeger, but it seems to get solid reviews. In general, any new firearm I purchase gets a strip, clean, and lube before I take her to the range. I find it good to do to familiarize yourself with its operation and assembly, and you'd be surprised how dirty and dry a new "out of the box" pistol can be.
    Thanks for reminding me! I bought a Glock 19c a few weeks ago. Have no money to splurge driving to the range so it just sits locked up :( But I haven't cleaned it so maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Thanks for reminding me! I bought a Glock 19c a few weeks ago. Have no money to splurge driving to the range so it just sits locked up :( But I haven't cleaned it so maybe I'll do that this weekend.
    Yep, unfortunately, lots more cleaning(and fondling) than shooting here recently .
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

my first handgun

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    Take this advice! All new guns need stripped and cleaned before taking them to the range

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the advice everybody was right on. Took it apart and the nasty film the factory uses to protect it collects a lot of dust amazingly. Cleaned it and ready to go, thanks for the knowledge.

Links