Lifetime secret service protection for presidents - Page 2

Lifetime secret service protection for presidents

This is a discussion on Lifetime secret service protection for presidents within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet Maybe he's beginning to get worried? I can't imagine why...he's only peeved off one-third of the US population...of course, it's the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Lifetime secret service protection for presidents

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Maybe he's beginning to get worried?
    I can't imagine why...he's only peeved off one-third of the US population...of course, it's the third that are rabidly clinging to their 2A rights...
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think that if he wants lifetime protection, he should get his own carry permit and his own gun, just like I did. If he doesn't want to do that, then he should hire his own security, paid with his own money. My two cents.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'm kinda stumped as to exactly how to feel about this. On one hand, "Of the people, by the people, for the people" should mean from an idealogical standpoint just that. Go back to being one of the people...perhaps the reality of living in a post-leader role without the government protection would give cause to think through decisions and words more carefully.

On the other hand, in a position like that you WILL peeve off about half of the people ALL of the time no matter what you do. Especially as extremely divided as the country has become. The polarity of the two parties is at its most extreme in recent years. Add in the world politics and terror angle and I can certainly understand. We don't need foreign or domestic extremists waxing any former pres for any reason. Nothing good could come from it.

Also, knowing the history behind it and the fact that he didn't dream this up on his own (it has historical precedence) and I can understand it. The ideological side of me still doesn't like it, but I like the thought of playing up the political theater aspect of it and yanking the chains of ultra-libs on other blogs given the timing (I know, I shouldn't poke them with sticks...but sometimes I can't help it).

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I always thought former presidents had this - and they did. I didn't realze it had changed. Fom the secretservice.gov site FAQs:

How long do former presidents receive Secret Service protection after they leave office?

In 1965, Congress authorized the Secret Service (Public Law 89-186) to protect a former president and his/her spouse during their lifetime, unless they decline protection. In 1997, Congress enacted legislation (Public Law 103-329) that limits Secret Service protection for former presidents to 10 years after leaving office. Under this new law, individuals who are in office before January 1, 1997, will continue to receive Secret Service protection for their lifetime. Individuals elected to office after that time will receive protection for 10 years after leaving office. Therefore, President Clinton will be the last president to receive lifetime protection.
    I think Bill wanted protection from Hillary.
    BugDude, pittypat21, Lish and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think Bill wanted protection from Hillary.
    And I can certainly understand why...

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    It never made sense to me when the 10 year law was enacted. I think this is probably a good thing for everyone. Sure the cost of protecting former presidents is high, but I imagine the cost of losing one to a terrorist attack would be even higher.
    IMHO, it would depend on which one we lost to a terrorist. LOL
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I always thought former presidents had this - and they did. I didn't realze it had changed. Fom the secretservice.gov site FAQs:

How long do former presidents receive Secret Service protection after they leave office?

In 1965, Congress authorized the Secret Service (Public Law 89-186) to protect a former president and his/her spouse during their lifetime, unless they decline protection. In 1997, Congress enacted legislation (Public Law 103-329) that limits Secret Service protection for former presidents to 10 years after leaving office. Under this new law, individuals who are in office before January 1, 1997, will continue to receive Secret Service protection for their lifetime. Individuals elected to office after that time will receive protection for 10 years after leaving office. Therefore, President Clinton will be the last president to receive lifetime protection.
    Wait...if Congress already has this Public Law on the books, how can the President unilaterally change it. While he can use EOs, won't it be up the House to fund the USSS to maintain that level of protection? Interesting....especially if Congress has language specifically endorsing the previously passed PL.

I'm not against protecting former POTUS, but question the legality of the process whereby an EO superseded a PL.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It's a part of Obama's job creation plan that he has been selling.

Seriously though. I have many problems with the current administration, but no problems with this. Even if he or Bill Clinton want to disrespect the office, I choose to still hold it in the highest regard. Despite political beliefs, the POTUS is a symbol that goes beyond any current holder of the title and should be protected. JMO
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I think they had it right when they limited it to 10 yrs. No need to pay for protection for up to the next 40-50 yrs. I could even buy 15 yrs, but that's about it.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.c...esidents.html/

Obama signs lifetime Secret Service protection for George W. Bush, himself and future presidents
    By Todd J. Gillman/Reporter
    tgillman@dallasnews.com
    4:05 pm on January 10, 2013

WASHINGTON — Dallas’ best-protected resident, George W. Bush, can now sleep more soundly. President Barack Obama today signed into law a measure granting the 43rd president — and himself and future presidents– a lifetime of protection by the Secret Service.

Congress stripped that benefit in 1994, enacting a 10-year limit for presidents who take office after Jan. 1, 1997 — a list that so far includes only Bush and Obama.

Under the new law, children of presidents will be protected until they turn 16. Presidents and their spouses get lifetime protection.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I say 10 years on the taxpayer dime, the rest on their own dime. All the Presidents alive today are multimillionaires. We're also paying them a nice retirement. I think they can afford to hire their own security if they think they need it after 10 years.

Enough with the ego massaging.
    myrkr likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    So with this new law, the only ones unprotected are Carter, Bush I (who may have one foot on the banana peel anyway) and Clinton?

That somehow seems to me poetic justice.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I say 10 years on the taxpayer dime, the rest on their own dime. All the Presidents alive today are multimillionaires. We're also paying them a nice retirement. I think they can afford to hire their own security if they think they need it after 10 years.

Enough with the ego massaging.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I think that if he wants lifetime protection, he should get his own carry permit and his own gun, just like I did. If he doesn't want to do that, then he should hire his own security, paid with his own money. My two cents.
    That would help to provide strong incentive to act like one of the People during one's entire term, too, instead of daring to act like a petulant tyrant knowing full well you'd get lifetime protection against anyone afterwards seeking their 15mins of infamy.

Incentives can work. Erasure of incentives provide no motivation to realize that life's a contact sport and there are consequences for our actions. Prior hireling or not, prior POTUS ranking or not, the person no longer in that role now has nothing to do with that role in a formal sense. In very real ways, I think we'd be far better off stopping our treatment of such folks as national treasures and instead get back to treating them what they are: temporarily-hired staff to execute administration of our governance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Personally I thought it was a mistake to change it to 10 years. Regardless of your politics I think it would be a black eye for the US if any former president was murdered after their SS protection expired. Compared to the cost of a million other things the actual monetary cost of protecting them can't be all that high.

Private citizens shouldn't have tax payer funded security details.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links