Lifetime secret service protection for presidents

This is a discussion on Lifetime secret service protection for presidents within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obama signs lifetime Secret Service protection for George W. Bush, himself and future presidents | Trail Blazers Blog Why? If we have a ban everyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Lifetime secret service protection for presidents

Lifetime secret service protection for presidents

Obama signs lifetime Secret Service protection for George W. Bush, himself and future presidents | Trail Blazers Blog

Why? If we have a ban everyone should be safe as kittens.....right? Bueller? Bueller???
    Thompsonian and msgt/ret like this.

2. Remove Ads

If we can't be protected by semi-automatic firearms with a capacity higher than 10, neither should they.
    ctr, msgt/ret, tkruf and 2 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Maybe he's beginning to get worried?
    bigmacque, BugDude and tkruf like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The protected few. Signs lifetime protection for the few, but would apparently sign lifetime forcible disarmament for the many, in a heartbeat.

Treason by any other name is still treason, when it comes to gutting the Constitution by anything other than Amendments via 2/3rds of the elected reps. Though the likelihood of it ever been taken that way by "the few" is practically nil.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    It never made sense to me when the 10 year law was enacted. I think this is probably a good thing for everyone. Sure the cost of protecting former presidents is high, but I imagine the cost of losing one to a terrorist attack would be even higher.
    Hopyard likes this.

He spends a lot of time golfing,wide open spaces lots of standing around,once he leaves the Presidency he gets a scaled back personal detachment and nothing like the one he now enjoys
    tkruf likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    Sure the cost of protecting former presidents is high, but I imagine the cost of losing one to a terrorist attack would be even higher.
    What would such so-called "costs" be, pray tell?

Bummer to lose a prior politico, sure. But, a high cost? I don't see it, really. Beyond the office, a previously-hired person who's gone on to other things is ... well, just that.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It would be a huge victory to whatever group was able to pull it off. That's not something we need. If we can spend a few mil a year to prevent that, it is money well spent.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What would such so-called "costs" be, pray tell?

Bummer to lose a prior politico, sure. But, a high cost? I don't see it, really. Beyond the office, a previously-hired person who's gone onto other things is ... well, just that.
    Plus most of those guys reap the profits of their position long after they serve their term; 10 years, I'm ok with but after that they ought to pony up the dough if it's that important.

Of course, having that lifetime of protection does become a little more urgent when you've made an enemy of half the country so I can see why the community organizer would get that one signed and off his desk quickly.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

It would be a huge victory to whatever group was able to pull it off. That's not something we need.
    Sure, the claimed "responsible" group would be able to claim it. And so? As with any other robber, murderer or whomever, they get treated as what they are and held responsible for it. With a previously-hired person, it's little different than with any other citizen who's got a vested interest in surviving life in the future. Welcome to the real world. Either the former hireling is one of the People, or he/she is not.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had always thought that former Presidents already received it.

I have no problem with it. ( I can't believe I'm saying it about something Obama did, but there it is)

If you can't see the difference between an ex-POTUS and a guy that worked at the local plant down the street for 40 years then we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I always thought former presidents had this - and they did. I didn't realze it had changed. Fom the secretservice.gov site FAQs:

How long do former presidents receive Secret Service protection after they leave office?

In 1965, Congress authorized the Secret Service (Public Law 89-186) to protect a former president and his/her spouse during their lifetime, unless they decline protection. In 1997, Congress enacted legislation (Public Law 103-329) that limits Secret Service protection for former presidents to 10 years after leaving office. Under this new law, individuals who are in office before January 1, 1997, will continue to receive Secret Service protection for their lifetime. Individuals elected to office after that time will receive protection for 10 years after leaving office. Therefore, President Clinton will be the last president to receive lifetime protection.

If you can't see the difference between an ex-POTUS and a guy that worked at the local plant down the street for 40 years then we're going to have to agree to disagree.
    I certainly see the difference. I just don't see any attack or loss due to a criminal act post-office as being a "high" cost, beyond the media frenzy it would likely generate. And that alone isn't, in my view, enough of a reason by itself. In that we'll likely disagree. Which is fine.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Plus most of those guys reap the profits of their position long after they serve their term; 10 years, I'm ok with but after that they ought to pony up the dough if it's that important.

Of course, having that lifetime of protection does become a little more urgent when you've made an enemy of half the country so I can see why the community organizer would get that one signed and off his desk quickly.
    Though you were being sarcastic, you made a point. Serving as POTUS makes you very unpopular with a large chunk of people (nationally and world-wide). For that reason alone, the job should come with lifetime protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links