Range report PPQ.

This is a discussion on Range report PPQ. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife gave me a Walther PPQ for Christmas. Before today, I had fired about 200 rounds downrange at bulls-eye targets. Today, I experimented against ...

Thread: Range report PPQ.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar

Range report PPQ.

My wife gave me a Walther PPQ for Christmas. Before today, I had fired about 200 rounds downrange at bulls-eye targets.

Today, I experimented against a silhouette target. I fired 5 magazines of 124gr 9mm FMJ in timed fire. I was trying to simulate a hurried response to a threat. I used timed fire for each mag. 15 round mag and timed at 15 seconds, so I had to empty the mag at about 1 round per second...It was a lot of fun, just point and shoot. Put that front sight on target at 25 feet and fire. I even tried 2 mags at 15 feet one-handed with acceptable results early in the session. I tried about 10 rounds one-handed at the end of the session with terrible results.

I LOVE THAT PPQ!!

I was shooting at the head of the silhouette target. Mostly one large hole centered with 10 "misses"...3 outside the kill zone. BANG, BANG, BANG!

I then tried with my primary EDC, a Sig P239, and it looked like I had used a shotgun at center mass...very few "large holes", mostly in the colored center mass.

I LOVE THAT PPQ! I just wish it were smaller so I could carry it concealed. Of course, it would then not be so accurate. I OC the PPQ around the house.

I tried a few carefully aimed mags at 30 and 35 feet with the P239 with some good groups, so I'm still confident with the Sig.

I sure love that PPQ....

Sorry for rambling...

2. Remove Ads

I have a PPQ as well. It certainly is a nice gun!

The PPQ is such a great gun. Great trigger and even better reset. It's one of our home defense guns but I wish I could carry it as we'll. Little big for my stature but I have a Shield and I am completely happy with that. Enjoy the PPQ!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    If the gun was smaller, and didn't have that 4" barrel, it wouldn't be as accurate :)

I EDC a 9mm PPQ myself, and I'm 110 lbs. I don't see why you can't do the same. I have Trijicon bright & tough night sights on mine, which I really like. I believe there are XS big dot tritium sights for it as well which may help with quick firing. I love the trigger on the PPQ, and can rapid fire it at 15 to 20 yards and put all of them in the black, which for someone with small arms like me is pretty good. The only other mod I made to mine was replacing the plastic guide rod with a stainless one, stock spring, and the stainless guide rod I used is a mirror of the OE rod, just steel, so it doesn't affect shooting in any way other than longevity/reliability. It's a BT guide rod if I recall.

Try to get some spare mags for that thing too, if you can find any. I have 6 15 round mags and a 33 round mag for mine. If a ban passes, they'll go from difficult to impossible to buy.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Try to get some spare mags for that thing too, if you can find any. I have 6 15 round mags and a 33 round mag for mine. If a ban passes, they'll go from difficult to impossible to buy.
    Momma gave me 2 Walther 'aftermarket' mags with the gun, so I have 4 15 round mags.

The only other semi-auto gun I have that is as accurate is my old Colt Woodsman .22 with the 6-inch barrel and a "smithed" trigger. I sent that .22 to a gunsmith almost 50 years ago and it has a 2-pound trigger pull...strictly a target pistol.

I can't believe the smoothness of the PPQ trigger.

I carry my P239 IWB and decocked so the first round is DA. I'm a little leery about carrying the PPQ IWB with it essentially cocked without safety with that light, smooth trigger. I OC the PPQ around the house in a nice ITAC OWB holster. For many, many years, I carried a heavy .357 revolver with a 4-inch barrel. The revolver is now my backup home defence gun, loaded with .38 FMJ.

Gotta say i'm kind of intrigued by the PPQ just on the basis of what everybody's been saying about the trigger.

Links