Anyone thought about having a FFL dealer be middle man when selling guns privately?

This is a discussion on Anyone thought about having a FFL dealer be middle man when selling guns privately? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I consider myself to have a moral obligation in deciding who to trade or sell a gun to. Most of us have been saying for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Anyone thought about having a FFL dealer be middle man when selling guns privately?

VIP Member
    I consider myself to have a moral obligation in deciding who to trade or sell a gun to. Most of us have been saying for years that the gov't can't legislate personal responsibility; we have personal responsibility. And I consider it my personal responsibility to keep my guns out of the hands of someone who may be incompetent or likely to commit illegal acts with them. But my private sale is private and an FFL and the gov't shouldn't be all up in it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

I heard that registration of guns leads to confiscation of guns but I could never find an example in history of this happening in a democracy. In a non-democratic state guns are taken from you or your heirs, not confiscated. Cars are registered and are required to carry certain levels of insurance and a license plate, so why not guns? Why are all the military style guns so popular? If any gun owner thinks he can go up against the US military, then he really shouldn't have a gun.

Senior Moderator
    Packing...when they pass a law that requires registration and an FFL to do the transaction...I'm charging you 500 bucks for the privelege of doing so.
    atctimmy, MamaMaria and Bark'n like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In AZ I've bought and sold firearms from private individuals. Going to an FFL and paying 20-50 bucks is a waste of money.

I fear they will try to do away with this - as well as create a database of firearms (who owns what, etc), which bothers me even more.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's a pretty harsh statement.

If it's not legally required to pass thru a FFL for a private transfer, why do it? Unless you have reason to suspect the buyer cannot legally possess a firearm, you are not responsible for what he does with it. If having a paper trail for private gun trasactions were needed, there'd be a law requiring it. Comply with what your state/federal laws require.
    It's harsh, but the reality is that anyone who's not in prison has access to firearms. Anything the government does just makes the process a bit more tedious for everybody, whether its the criminal or the legal purchaser. Society will take care of the people who shouldn't have guns on its own The legislative process is just a complicated and often corrupt way to definine what the public opinions are.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by packing View Post
    I heard that registration of guns leads to confiscation of guns but I could never find an example in history of this happening in a democracy. In a non-democratic state guns are taken from you or your heirs, not confiscated. Cars are registered and are required to carry certain levels of insurance and a license plate, so why not guns? Why are all the military style guns so popular? If any gun owner thinks he can go up against the US military, then he really shouldn't have a gun.
    Tell that to the Founding Fathers. England had the most powerful army on the planet at the time of the American Revolution.

When the govt starts taking the guns - It won't be a democracy.
    aus71383, atctimmy and MamaMaria like this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Senior Moderator
    Gee...and all this time I thought I was living in a Constitutional Republic.

You know...like when one says the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag that states "and to the Republic for which it stands".

Silly me...
    aus71383 and MamaMaria like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Tell that to the Founding Fathers. England had the most powerful army on the planet at the time of the American Revolution.

When the govt starts taking the guns - It won't be a democracy.
    I would also say tell that to those who are fighting the US military in the middle east. The cost of the wars over there have bankrupted the US, and if we keep it up over there we'll end up failing just like the British Empire.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's a pretty harsh statement.
    It was meant to be. And meant to be thought provoking. I think banning certain guns is harsh. BTW, it's a much a statement about recidivism and a revolving door justice system, criminals on the streets, and the feleonization of every petty thing to make it "more worser" and keep them from doing it.

Hotguns, I'll keep that in mind.
    aus71383 and atctimmy like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    A NICs check cannot be done on a gun, a NICS check is ON YOU, not the gun, it is illegal for them to keep any record of the gun and/or serial number and don't even ask for it.... they'll ask handgun or long gun, to verify you are of legal age to buy it. Second, if we call our PD, they will tell us if a gun reports as stolen, and can check the State and FBI databases on it to see if it's been stolen and then will let us know back. YOUR PD , just apparently doesn't want to do it.
    you could go to your local PD and have them run an NCIC check on the serial number of the gun before you bought it but that is long gone.
    Eagleks. I am well aware of what and who the NICS checks go through and what they require. Please read the bold portion, NCIC stands for the National Crime Information Center just as ACIC stands for Arkansas Crime Information Center. Many police departments no longer offer this as some considered it releasing sensitive information.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    It was meant to be. And meant to be thought provoking. I think banning certain guns is harsh. BTW, it's a much a statement about recidivism and a revolving door justice system, criminals on the streets, and the feleonization of every petty thing to make it "more worser" and keep them from doing it.

Hotguns, I'll keep that in mind.
    I agree. Decriminalize recreational drug use. The laws on violence are already in place, there just isn't any manpower or money to enforce them.

This is a stupid idea - you're giving away rights and gaining nothing. Laws don't prevent crime - never have, never will.

I will now go meditate and distract myself somehow because I will throw up if I keep thinking about people coming with "bright ideas" like this.

Austin
    atctimmy and MamaMaria like this.

I was going to keep calm and carry on, but this post was too much to go unanswered....

We are a democratic republic, as stated by many others. Because you can't find an example of something doesn't mean it's going to work out great and is a good idea.

Cars are registered voluntarily - if you want to keep one on your own land and drive it around with no license plate and no insurance, go right ahead. Not to mention - a car isn't mentioned in the bill of rights, isn't a natural right, and has nothing to do with a gun.

If everyone was running around all day every day shooting guns in the streets (at targets) - insurance might be a good idea. As it is - they don't get pulled out and fired unless it's an extreme situation. If a bystander gets hurt/killed in a situation like that, the courts will decide whether it was an accident, negligence or whatever. Just like they would if someone without insurance caused an accident. They'll get a ticket for not having insurance - and they'll be held liable for damages. It's not that complicated.

Military guns are so popular because they are fun to shoot, lots of people that served are already familiar with them, and they are the perfect tool for defending yourself.

There are a lot of gun owners going up against the U.S. military right now in Iraq and Afghanistan. They're are putting us to the test, and when we eventually leave - they will still be there. Some of them will have died, and some will have their guns destroyed/confiscated - but most of them will still be there, and still have guns. Fighting a guerrilla war isn't so simple - it's not like in the movies. Nothing is like in the movies.
    If you think that the government will use the military, government agencies, and brute force in general to enforce unconstitutional violations of civil rights.....and you don't plan on resisting that in any way - then you shouldn't own a gun. What you shouldn't do is make a statement such as, "If any gun owner thinks -----, then he shouldn't have a gun." You don't make that decision - no one does. It is a fundamental right.

Austin

Ferdinand Marcos/Philippines. I won't do any more of your homework.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I was going to keep calm and carry on, but this post was too much to go unanswered....

We are a democratic republic, as stated by many others. Because you can't find an example of something doesn't mean it's going to work out great and is a good idea.

Cars are registered voluntarily - if you want to keep one on your own land and drive it around with no license plate and no insurance, go right ahead. Not to mention - a car isn't mentioned in the bill of rights, isn't a natural right, and has nothing to do with a gun.

If everyone was running around all day every day shooting guns in the streets (at targets) - insurance might be a good idea. As it is - they don't get pulled out and fired unless it's an extreme situation. If a bystander gets hurt/killed in a situation like that, the courts will decide whether it was an accident, negligence or whatever. Just like they would if someone without insurance caused an accident. They'll get a ticket for not having insurance - and they'll be held liable for damages. It's not that complicated.

Military guns are so popular because they are fun to shoot, lots of people that served are already familiar with them, and they are the perfect tool for defending yourself.

There are a lot of gun owners going up against the U.S. military right now in Iraq and Afghanistan. They're are putting us to the test, and when we eventually leave - they will still be there. Some of them will have died, and some will have their guns destroyed/confiscated - but most of them will still be there, and still have guns. Fighting a guerrilla war isn't so simple - it's not like in the movies. Nothing is like in the movies.
    If you think that the government will use the military, government agencies, and brute force in general to enforce unconstitutional violations of civil rights.....and you don't plan on resisting that in any way - then you shouldn't own a gun. What you shouldn't do is make a statement such as, "If any gun owner thinks -----, then he shouldn't have a gun." You don't make that decision - no one does. It is a fundamental right.
    Austin
    I'm glad you didn't keep calm and carry on. The last paragraph in bold hits all the points about why gun control is a task for fools.
    aus71383 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links