Just because you can...

This is a discussion on Just because you can... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As an FFL and one that has been very busy to due to drama incited by the antigunners to ban everything, I have recently heard ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever bought a gun "just because"?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have bought one just to annoy the anti's.

4 3.13%
  • I buy them because of what the future may bring

21 16.41%
  • Never cared what anyone thought

102 79.69%
  • I wouldnt consider buying one just to annoy someone because I am a caring sensitive person

1 0.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Just because you can...

Senior Moderator

Just because you can...

As an FFL and one that has been very busy to due to drama incited by the antigunners to ban everything, I have recently heard this statement a bunch in overheard conversations. I have even asked it myself to determine what a customer wants, just to make sure that they are getting the right tool for the job.

The question goes like this,"why are you getting that, or what do you need it for"?.

Normally I'll get a straight forward answer that is pretty simple, like " I want it for home defense",or " I want it to plink with". A couple of answers that I have been hearing a lot lately is" because I can" and the other that pops up frequently is " to annoy the gun grabbers" or a variation thereof. Its not hard to figure what group of people, or person that they are reffering to if you have half of a brain.

So, just for fun I decided to put up a poll..just to see how many have actually bought a gun, not because you needed it, not because you wanted it, but just because you wanted to make a statement of sorts.

I'll be the first to admit, I did it just last night. I bought a GSG HK MP5 clone, a .22 actually, just because it looks wicked and because it scares some people to death. I didnt "need" it as I have several dozen other rifles, I didnt even really want it. An opportunity to get it came up at the spur of the moment, it was a great price, new in the box,never shot so I basically said, "what the heck" and got it.

Thinking of the many times that I wanted something and didnt get it for one reason or the other, and then kicking myself in the tail over and over when they became unavailable or tripled in price due to panic or fear, I decided not to let that happen again.

So, I got it for a couple of reasons. One, is because I have been sufficently blessed to be able to, and another and equally important is because there are lots of people out there in the world that dont want me to have it.

So lets hear it. If you've been there or done that, get on that poll and tell us about it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

I could care less about what others think of my purchases.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Every gun I've ever bought I bought just because.

Just because I had to have it
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Never cared what anyone thought, it I saw something I liked and I could afford it I bought it.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

OD*
    The poll should be multiple choice, I've done A, B and C.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Re: Just because you can...

First handgun in the middle of the rush when supply was good for hd/cc. Also have wanted an handgun for years and could finally afford one. Don't have cable and wasn't really on the up and up with current events so that was when I heard about sandy hooks and proposers gun bans so none of that was in my decision making process.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

All the guns ive bought were for a reason. Rifles and shotguns for hunting, pistol for CC.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

I just buy what I "need" because of what I "want", or what may "happen"....I don't tell the "gun grabbers" what I'm buying - I prefer no one knows.

Austin

VIP Member
    Considering I've never seen a gun I didn't want, I'm not sure how to answer this!
    ctr, revldm, BurgerBoy and 4 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

The only opinions I value and take into consideration (other than my own) are from those who are knowledgeable and experienced in the application of the tools I wish to purchase. My choice of firearms ownership will "annoy the antis," no matter if I'm purchasing a small pistol in a large caliber for CC, or choosing a "high capacity" pistol for my nightstand, or even seeking out practical, defensive pistol training. The anti-gunners only see someone serious about home and family defense as a vigilante, chomping at the bit for any excuse to "murder" someone, training for the day that they can start a modern day "shootout at the OK Corral."
    msgt/ret, OD* and HotGuns like this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Just because?

Yep, I would have to say that every purchase I've made is "just because" I wanted that particular firearm. Never purchased one to anger someone else even if it did, though I've had other purchases questioned by an ex wife--like "Why do you need another guitar? You can only play one at a time" I should have responded along the lines of "Same reason you need another pair of shoes", but I took the high road. Alas, she DID end up as an "ex", but whatever. Back to firearms--I've purchased one or more on a whim, thinking it would be a great carry firearm, or "I'd like to have that rifle", or whatever, but fact remains it's my right and if anyone questions me about it I'll just tell 'em "Just because".

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Considering I've never seen a gun I didn't want, I'm not sure how to answer this!
    KittyRifle.jpg

Does this tickle your fancy TX?
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member

Just because you can...

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    KittyRifle.jpg

Does this tickle your fancy TX?
    Well I do admit that it would appeal to the wife, so yeah, I'll take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

PB2
    The first stimulus package after Obama was elected I used the money to buy a gun. I don't remember which gun it was but I figured the biggest "up yours" I could do was to stimulate the firearms industry.

I never really cared what anyone thought about my firearms purchases, other than my wife and then, mainly from the budgetary standpoint, I am, like others on here, a person that has met few firearms that I didn't like. However, my latest purchase was a Ruger SP 101, this purchase was purely in response to "what might happen". My wife even said that a revolver would be a good purchase in light of the emotional political situation--I think she said that 'cause she has been eyeing my Ruger with rather covetous eyes!
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links