Reloading 9mm

Reloading 9mm

This is a discussion on Reloading 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased magnum small pistol primers. What considerations should be taken to use in 9mm? Thank you........

Thread: Reloading 9mm

Reloading 9mm

I recently purchased magnum small pistol primers. What considerations should be taken to use in 9mm? Thank you.....

VIP Member
    Hmmm. Can't help you with any specifics because I've never done it, but I don't think you necessarily need to do anything different beyond reducing your powder by a couple of 10ths.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

If you start your loads at the bottom of the suggested range, and work from there you should not have any problems. I have used small pistol magnum primers in 9mm before and didn't do anything different to my load.

However I was loading light, at a point where it functioned all the guns reliably. I didn't notice any really change in the load using the SPM primers.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear....

Thank you......

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My only experience with why not to use magnum primers comes from Ultra light loads used in Cowboy Action Shooting. With the lightest loads the magnum primers would back out of the case and the light load would not press the case back against the recoil shield hard enough to reset it. This would lock up the gun tight. At first we thought he had reloaded his brass too many times and the primer pockets were loose. So next time he tried new brass. That's when it was discovered he was using magnum primers. A switch to Standard primers stopped the primers from backing out. I'm not sure if it will effect your loads at all. But just load a few first and see if its a problem before loading hundreds, and then having to break them down. DR

Thank you for asking this, I just recently bought a few thousand SMP primers. I have heard on another reloading forum that they can even be used, in a pinch, in place of small rifle primers. Just something to consider...

Sponsored Links