Shooting pistol left of center, need advice

This is a discussion on Shooting pistol left of center, need advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm right handed , right eye dominant. When shooting my 9mm or 357 about 50% of the time I am 4-6" left of center. Did ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By GlassWolf
  • 1 Post By jem102
  • 1 Post By KyBill

Thread: Shooting pistol left of center, need advice

I'm right handed , right eye dominant. When shooting my 9mm or 357 about 50% of the time I am 4-6" left of center. Did a google and saw that means I'm squeezing the gun not just pulling the trigger? But dont you need to hold the pistol pretty tight? What am I missing? Would dry fire help overcome this particular problem? Shooting 2 hands, isoceles stance. Ruger sr9c and 357 magnum 2" barrel. Not a problem with my 380 LCP even if shooting 1 handed point and shoot.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    May be too little finger on the trigger, thus pushing the gun to the left. I have this tendency also, only low and left.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    If the sights are not fixed, are you certain they are properly adjusted? It does sound like your finger is
    pushing them off to the left. Why not on the LCP? Maybe the long pull? Or, maybe it is a problem with the sight
    alignment on the others.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Grip should be like a firm handshake - not a hand squeezing competition or death grip, but not a dead fish either. Try shooting with your left hand. Take your time, and see if you hit center. If you do - it's your grip.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    zacii and Jemsaal like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

On my old S&W revolver I finally figured out that when I was pulling the trigger (right handed), the barrel would move up and to the left, mostly due to a pretty heavy trigger pull. I could see this when I loaded it with snap caps and practiced pulling the trigger over-and-over on a target ~10 feet away. I could see it moving each time. I could actually correlate the movement with how it pressed against the fleshy part of my palm and just kind of "squished" around (and I'm a pretty skinny guy, so no fat hands).

Follow the chart.

You're anticipating the shot and mashing the trigger. Dry fire practice will cure it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    I'm right handed , right eye dominant. When shooting my 9mm or 357 about 50% of the time I am 4-6" left of center. Did a google and saw that means I'm squeezing the gun not just pulling the trigger? But dont you need to hold the pistol pretty tight? What am I missing? Would dry fire help overcome this particular problem? Shooting 2 hands, isoceles stance. Ruger sr9c and 357 magnum 2" barrel. Not a problem with my 380 LCP even if shooting 1 handed point and shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Follow the chart.

You're anticipating the shot and mashing the trigger. Dry fire practice will cure it.
    I agree. You are working with a short sight radius and not seeing how far off you are pulling the sight alignment when anticipating the shot/recoil. Dry fire will greatly improve your shooting. During live fire add a little more grip pressure with your left hand cupped over your right and move your right foot slightly to the rear, these are "small" movements that you build into muscle memory. Follow through and stay on the front sight until the gun comes out of recoil, you may be raising your head to look for the hit. It's amazing how small a body movement can move POI across the target.
    KyBill likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Thanks guys. The sights on my 357 revolver are not adjustable. I asked one of the range officers to test fire my last two bullets on my Sr9c one day and he put the first shot about an inch to the right of dead center at ten yards and the second at dead center. He told me it's possible the gun sights to the right but he wasn't certain, it could just have been him. I did notice that when he took aim the pistol was rock steady the entire time. I seem to have slight movement when sighting those two guns so I'm definitely doing something. My trigger finger falls naturally near the break of the first joint but I've been trying to adjust to keep the pad on the trigger.

My LCP has a crimson trace but I cant really use it because my hands are too big; if I apply enough pressure on the switch to keep the laser "on" then the laser moves quite a bit on the target. And the sights on the gun are lousy so I don't spend much time trying to line them up, I just lift the gun and as soon as the front sight seems to be on target I pull.

Dry fire practice can make a big difference. Watching the sights and practicing holding them steady while you pull the trigger is the idea. Not to mention just the finger "exercise" of pull the trigger a lot.

Does this happen in single action mode or just double action?

Austin

I have not tried the Rossi single action, the LCP is double action only and I'm not sure how the Sr9c is classified but there is only one way to fire it. But I'll try the suggestions to practice dry firing and also regarding stance and grip.

Went back to the range, have seen some improvement by painf more attention to grip and trigger pull ( double action) but inconsistent. Guess I just need more practice and dry fire.

With the revolver, I tried single action and did not experience and difficulty keepig my shots centered.
    aus71383 likes this.

Glad to hear it!

Austin

Sponsored Links