What do you suggest: looking for 9mm <$650

This is a discussion on What do you suggest: looking for 9mm <$650 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The instructor in my ccw class emphasized that you should get the biggest gun you can comfortably conceal and comfortably shoot. For me, that's my ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What do you suggest: looking for 9mm <$650

The instructor in my ccw class emphasized that you should get the biggest gun you can comfortably conceal and comfortably shoot. For me, that's my Ruger LC9 and two additional magazines. Light, very concealable, sort of fun to shoot, and more than accurate enough. Good luck on your search.

2. Remove Ads

Re: What do you suggest: looking for 9mm <$650

Quote Originally Posted by godawgs82 View Post
    Walther PPS for sure
    +1

I just got the PPS .40 and it is a nice gun.

Re: What do you suggest: looking for 9mm <$650

Glock and M&P dominate in this category.

They also dominate the market for available accessories like magazines and holsters.

I found a nice Sig P229 last summer, used for 600.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I carry the Glock 19 and 26. Both are very accurate.

GeorgiaCarry

Another vote for Glock/M&P. They're not for everyone, but they're at least worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBiker View Post
    How about an M&P 9c? List price $569. Holds 12+1, very concealable. Accurate and dependable.
    +1 to this and also it will accept 17 round full size m&p magazines. Ive grown really fond of my 9c.

Glocks are good.heard Springfield xdm is a good one..Havent shot the s&w m&p shield but havent heard anything negative,yet

I bought my first G17 a few months ago for about $480 plus tax. I carry .40 caliber Glocks on most days for ccw....... but always wanted the G17....... since it seems to be the one which set Glock on fire many years ago.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Smith & Wesson M&P9C, or Glock 19.

Your budget is very realistic, so you won't have any issues finding a number of quality firearms at that price.

As far as what to look at, I'm going to echo Live_2_ride and suggest that you get the largest size pistol that you feel you can realistically carry. That will likely mean more magazine capacity than a smaller pistol, as well as making it more controllable with the same cartridge - which means that you're likely to shoot it better and enjoy training with it. For most people, this is probably a "mid-sized" pistol - essentially a slightly scaled down version of their service pistol offering. Generally this means a somewhat shorter grip, a slightly shorter barrel, and slightly reduced magazine capacity.

There are a few Glock Fanbois that will answer "Glock 19" to every single question that is every asked....but in this case, their answer is perfectly valid. The S&W M&P compact would also be a sound choice, or something mid-sized from the Springfield XD family. As you pointed out, H&K also makes great pistols, but I believe that you'd have a hard time finding one new inside that price range. A used H&K might be do-able...but is by no means the only thing that will work for you.

Personally, I think that pistols in this size range are an excellent choice for a "do it all" pistol. As an example, I have a H&K USP Compact - it's small enough to carry concealed in a Comp-Tac IWB hybrid holster, but large enough that I can use it to shoot IDPA without being handicapped. I will have to improve my skills a LOT before the capabilities of a mid-sized pistol become a limiting factor in my performance.

One thing that I don't recall reading earlier in this thread....buy a pistol that fits your hand comfortably. Ergonomics (the way the pistol fits your hand) is far more important than any doohickey, go-fast feature, or splashy graphic.

If you do choose a psitol from the range that have been suggested to you by the majority of the posters here, I have no doubt that you'll be well served by it. Glock/S&W/Springfield/H&K are all quality pistols and I would be surprised if you're anything other than happy with your purchase.
    Last edited by wsquared; January 13th, 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Typos

ok. let me address some issues brought up.

i know what sizes I like. this isn't my first.

I appreciate the durability and quality of Glock, but for some reason I just can't get myself to care for them. I feel like i'm damaged because I know I SHOULD love them, lol. also, and I know it's illogical, ever since i shot my friend's s&w LE9, i was so turned off from s&w--however, I know that's their crummiest handgun and the M&P has a lot of people raving.

Not much mention from you guys about the sigs.

Are there any H&Ks I'm over looking that might be close to this price range? I'm not sure If I want a polymer lower anymore either, which I know is the big difference between the p250, p2022 and the p226

Kahr pm9 which I have carried for five years. Just added a Springfield XDS in .45 and still can conceal easy.

OH. the other thing i was going to bring up.

I know NOTHING about the CZs people were suggesting. I checked their website out and I saw a tab on there for Dan Wesson--that got my eyebrow up...what's the relation? Can someone tell me more about this brand? Sorry if it's a newbie question.

Walther PPQ
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Walther PPQ
    that looks like a great option!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links