What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

This is a discussion on What is your definition of "assault weapon"? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm What is your definition of "assault weapon"? A term that the antis are currently using to describe the firearm that is ...

View Poll Results: What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single/dual-shot pistol

0 0%
  • Revolver -- less than X rds

0 0%
  • Revolver -- over X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto pistol -- less than X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto pistol -- over X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, less than X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, over X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto rifle -- less than X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto rifle -- over X rds

0 0%
  • Full-auto pistol -- any nbr rds

12 12.24%
  • Full-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, any nbr rds

13 13.27%
  • Full-auto rifle -- smaller caliber, less than X rds

14 14.29%
  • Full-auto rifle -- smaller caliber, over X rds

24 24.49%
  • Full-auto rifle -- larger caliber, less than X rds

16 16.33%
  • Full-auto rifle -- larger caliber, over X rds

23 23.47%
  • None -- "Assault Weapons" is a misnomer

67 68.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What is your definition of "assault weapon"?
    A term that the antis are currently using to describe the firearm that is used to assault people even less than hammers and fists.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Are you saying that chain of command has something to do with The People keeping the same arms as soldiers? Or are you implying that citizen rebels could never defeat the king's men because they would run away from battle?
    We can use the same personal weapons, but we can never use the weapons that require commanders to operate (tanks, bombers) because we can't give each other commands. When you have a rifle you alone shoot it and you alone make the decision to shoot it. But if you have a B-52 and the rest of the guys in your plane don't agree with your decision to bomb a target, what can you do, you can't force them to go along like the Air Force can.

Now one thing we can do that a soldier can't is conceal our weapons. Army pistols are big because a soldier is required by law to carry it openly. Even if we were fighting as a civilian militia we would be required to carry openly, or else we would be considered outlaws and not prisoners of war if captured. This is a concealed carry forum, which by law means we are only talking about civilian, peacetime use of weapons.

Would we run away from battle? I sure would!!! I am not nearly as brave as a US Marine. All I could do is strike with my little pistol and run away like a rat, calling 911 as I flee.

Everyone claiming that the term "Assault Rifle" is a made up term is actually incorrect.

According to Wikipedia, the term "Assault Rifle" actually originated during World War II as a translation of the word "Sturmgewehr" which was a combination semi-automatic rifle, carbine, and submachine gun.

Source: StG 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The weapon was chambered for 7.62x33mm kurz rounds and featured selective fire. Some historians believe it's design was later stolen by the soviets and used as the basis for the design of the AK-47.

In any case... based on this, I'd say it's a rifle that features selective fire between semi-automatic and fully automatic. That's all.

A purely fully automatic, full sized rifle would be a machine gun.
    A purely fully automatic, reduced sized weapon would be a sub-machine gun.
    A semi-automatic rifle would be a rifle.
    And a semi-automatic reduced size rifle would be a carbine.

An assault rifle, essentially, allows you to select whether the weapon is a (sub)machine gun or a rifle depending on the need at the time.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it! :)
    BelaOkmyx likes this.

I am highly offended by the term "ASSAULT WEAPON" as it implies if you own something that looks threatening to the left, you will likely become a criminal in short order and go off on a murdering spree. Which could not be further from the truth! This assault against the English language is is nothing more than propaganda nomenclature invented in a blazon attempt to disarm the law abiding citizens of America!!

WE MUST PUT THIS TERM WHERE IT BELONGS IN AN AREA SO FORGOTTEN IF IT IS EVER UTTERED AGAIN THEY SAY "Assault what?"
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    We can use the same personal weapons, but we can never use the weapons that require commanders to operate (tanks, bombers) because we can't give each other commands. When you have a rifle you alone shoot it and you alone make the decision to shoot it. But if you have a B-52 and the rest of the guys in your plane don't agree with your decision to bomb a target, what can you do, you can't force them to go along like the Air Force can.

Now one thing we can do that a soldier can't is conceal our weapons. Army pistols are big because a soldier is required by law to carry it openly. Even if we were fighting as a civilian militia we would be required to carry openly, or else we would be considered outlaws and not prisoners of war if captured. This is a concealed carry forum, which by law means we are only talking about civilian, peacetime use of weapons.

Would we run away from battle? I sure would!!! I am not nearly as brave as a US Marine. All I could do is strike with my little pistol and run away like a rat, calling 911 as I flee.
    I am baffled by whatever point you are trying to make, and I disagree with whatever it is. Citizens cannot operate planes without the ability to issue commands? Do you think Muslims can fly planes into buildings or does that require orders from a CO too?

In what context would a citizen fly a mission against a legitimate target? What exactly precludes his friends or family from flying with him and 'taking orders' to carry out the mission? What are you even talking about?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    An "assault weapon" is any weapon that you can use to assault someone.
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Everyone claiming that the term "Assault Rifle" is a made up term is actually incorrect.

According to Wikipedia, the term "Assault Rifle" actually originated during World War II as a translation of the word "Sturmgewehr" which was a combination semi-automatic rifle, carbine, and submachine gun.

Source: StG 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The weapon was chambered for 7.62x33mm kurz rounds and featured selective fire. Some historians believe it's design was later stolen by the soviets and used as the basis for the design of the AK-47.

In any case... based on this, I'd say it's a rifle that features selective fire between semi-automatic and fully automatic. That's all.

A purely fully automatic, full sized rifle would be a machine gun.
    A purely fully automatic, reduced sized weapon would be a sub-machine gun.
    A semi-automatic rifle would be a rifle.
    And a semi-automatic reduced size rifle would be a carbine.

An assault rifle, essentially, allows you to select whether the weapon is a (sub)machine gun or a rifle depending on the need at the time.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it! :)
    That's a pretty good way of putting it. In a military context 'assault" implies mobility, actively taking a target instead of defending a position. Full auto requires a ton of ammo and the soldiers running into the building can't carry that much, they have to do what they're going to do with a few magazines. The guys outside of the building have a lot more ammo at their position and they can lay down full auto suppressive fire with the same M16. A heavy belt-fed machine gun like an M2 is not something you can walk around with.

Army Field Manual 23-65 -- .M2 Machine Gun

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I am baffled by whatever point you are trying to make, and I disagree with whatever it is. Citizens cannot operate planes without the ability to issue commands? Do you think Muslims can fly planes into buildings or does that require orders from a CO too?
    Sure, you can behave like a criminal and a terrorist in a plane by yourself, but to responsibly execute a mission in a warplane or other exclusively military hardware requires professionals with training and command that civilians cannot have. That's why we're civilians; we haven't submitted ourselves to training and command. At the same time a civilian can learn to use a rifle or pistol as responsibly and as well as anyone in the military. That is what we should be focusing on- maintaining our right to self-defense instead of silly apocalyptic arguments about collapsed governments and military coups.
    pgrass101 likes this.

VIP Member
    just a "trigger" word for the media to use.

You cannot call something an assault weapon until it is used to assault someone. So until my butter knife and spoon assault someone they are not assault weapons, nor is your Suppressed 6.8MM Wilson Combat SBR.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is what I use as a definition:

As the United States Defense Department's Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, "assault rifles" are "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[21] In other words, assault rifles are battlefield rifles which can fire automatically.[22]

See link the full article: Rational Basis Analysis of "Assault Weapon" Prohibition

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

As of this posting 36 posters choose the wrong answer... The answer is none......
    The Truth About Assault Weapons
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

ANY weapon used to assault someone. Bat, hammer, car keys, brick, rock...the list goes on and on.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    As of this posting 36 posters choose the wrong answer...
    Opinions vary. Hence the anonymous poll.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links