What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

This is a discussion on What is your definition of "assault weapon"? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm What is your definition of "assault weapon"? A term that the antis are currently using to describe the firearm that is ...

View Poll Results: What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single/dual-shot pistol

    0 0%
  • Revolver -- less than X rds

    0 0%
  • Revolver -- over X rds

    0 0%
  • Semi-auto pistol -- less than X rds

    0 0%
  • Semi-auto pistol -- over X rds

    0 0%
  • Semi-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, less than X rds

    0 0%
  • Semi-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, over X rds

    0 0%
  • Semi-auto rifle -- less than X rds

    0 0%
  • Semi-auto rifle -- over X rds

    0 0%
  • Full-auto pistol -- any nbr rds

    12 12.24%
  • Full-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, any nbr rds

    13 13.27%
  • Full-auto rifle -- smaller caliber, less than X rds

    14 14.29%
  • Full-auto rifle -- smaller caliber, over X rds

    24 24.49%
  • Full-auto rifle -- larger caliber, less than X rds

    16 16.33%
  • Full-auto rifle -- larger caliber, over X rds

    23 23.47%
  • None -- "Assault Weapons" is a misnomer

    67 68.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What is your definition of "assault weapon"?
    A term that the antis are currently using to describe the firearm that is used to assault people even less than hammers and fists.

    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Member Array BelaOkmyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Are you saying that chain of command has something to do with The People keeping the same arms as soldiers? Or are you implying that citizen rebels could never defeat the king's men because they would run away from battle?
    We can use the same personal weapons, but we can never use the weapons that require commanders to operate (tanks, bombers) because we can't give each other commands. When you have a rifle you alone shoot it and you alone make the decision to shoot it. But if you have a B-52 and the rest of the guys in your plane don't agree with your decision to bomb a target, what can you do, you can't force them to go along like the Air Force can.

    Now one thing we can do that a soldier can't is conceal our weapons. Army pistols are big because a soldier is required by law to carry it openly. Even if we were fighting as a civilian militia we would be required to carry openly, or else we would be considered outlaws and not prisoners of war if captured. This is a concealed carry forum, which by law means we are only talking about civilian, peacetime use of weapons.

    Would we run away from battle? I sure would!!! I am not nearly as brave as a US Marine. All I could do is strike with my little pistol and run away like a rat, calling 911 as I flee.

  4. #18
    Member Array Bardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    147
    Everyone claiming that the term "Assault Rifle" is a made up term is actually incorrect.

    According to Wikipedia, the term "Assault Rifle" actually originated during World War II as a translation of the word "Sturmgewehr" which was a combination semi-automatic rifle, carbine, and submachine gun.

    Source: StG 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The weapon was chambered for 7.62x33mm kurz rounds and featured selective fire. Some historians believe it's design was later stolen by the soviets and used as the basis for the design of the AK-47.

    In any case... based on this, I'd say it's a rifle that features selective fire between semi-automatic and fully automatic. That's all.

    A purely fully automatic, full sized rifle would be a machine gun.
    A purely fully automatic, reduced sized weapon would be a sub-machine gun.
    A semi-automatic rifle would be a rifle.
    And a semi-automatic reduced size rifle would be a carbine.

    An assault rifle, essentially, allows you to select whether the weapon is a (sub)machine gun or a rifle depending on the need at the time.

    That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it! :)
    BelaOkmyx likes this.

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array Sheldon J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    Posts
    2,281
    I am highly offended by the term "ASSAULT WEAPON" as it implies if you own something that looks threatening to the left, you will likely become a criminal in short order and go off on a murdering spree. Which could not be further from the truth! This assault against the English language is is nothing more than propaganda nomenclature invented in a blazon attempt to disarm the law abiding citizens of America!!

    WE MUST PUT THIS TERM WHERE IT BELONGS IN AN AREA SO FORGOTTEN IF IT IS EVER UTTERED AGAIN THEY SAY "Assault what?"
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    We can use the same personal weapons, but we can never use the weapons that require commanders to operate (tanks, bombers) because we can't give each other commands. When you have a rifle you alone shoot it and you alone make the decision to shoot it. But if you have a B-52 and the rest of the guys in your plane don't agree with your decision to bomb a target, what can you do, you can't force them to go along like the Air Force can.

    Now one thing we can do that a soldier can't is conceal our weapons. Army pistols are big because a soldier is required by law to carry it openly. Even if we were fighting as a civilian militia we would be required to carry openly, or else we would be considered outlaws and not prisoners of war if captured. This is a concealed carry forum, which by law means we are only talking about civilian, peacetime use of weapons.

    Would we run away from battle? I sure would!!! I am not nearly as brave as a US Marine. All I could do is strike with my little pistol and run away like a rat, calling 911 as I flee.
    I am baffled by whatever point you are trying to make, and I disagree with whatever it is. Citizens cannot operate planes without the ability to issue commands? Do you think Muslims can fly planes into buildings or does that require orders from a CO too?

    In what context would a citizen fly a mission against a legitimate target? What exactly precludes his friends or family from flying with him and 'taking orders' to carry out the mission? What are you even talking about?

  7. #21
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,096
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    An "assault weapon" is any weapon that you can use to assault someone.
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

    Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

  8. #22
    Member Array BelaOkmyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Everyone claiming that the term "Assault Rifle" is a made up term is actually incorrect.

    According to Wikipedia, the term "Assault Rifle" actually originated during World War II as a translation of the word "Sturmgewehr" which was a combination semi-automatic rifle, carbine, and submachine gun.

    Source: StG 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The weapon was chambered for 7.62x33mm kurz rounds and featured selective fire. Some historians believe it's design was later stolen by the soviets and used as the basis for the design of the AK-47.

    In any case... based on this, I'd say it's a rifle that features selective fire between semi-automatic and fully automatic. That's all.

    A purely fully automatic, full sized rifle would be a machine gun.
    A purely fully automatic, reduced sized weapon would be a sub-machine gun.
    A semi-automatic rifle would be a rifle.
    And a semi-automatic reduced size rifle would be a carbine.

    An assault rifle, essentially, allows you to select whether the weapon is a (sub)machine gun or a rifle depending on the need at the time.

    That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it! :)
    That's a pretty good way of putting it. In a military context 'assault" implies mobility, actively taking a target instead of defending a position. Full auto requires a ton of ammo and the soldiers running into the building can't carry that much, they have to do what they're going to do with a few magazines. The guys outside of the building have a lot more ammo at their position and they can lay down full auto suppressive fire with the same M16. A heavy belt-fed machine gun like an M2 is not something you can walk around with.

    Army Field Manual 23-65 -- .M2 Machine Gun

  9. #23
    Member Array BelaOkmyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I am baffled by whatever point you are trying to make, and I disagree with whatever it is. Citizens cannot operate planes without the ability to issue commands? Do you think Muslims can fly planes into buildings or does that require orders from a CO too?
    Sure, you can behave like a criminal and a terrorist in a plane by yourself, but to responsibly execute a mission in a warplane or other exclusively military hardware requires professionals with training and command that civilians cannot have. That's why we're civilians; we haven't submitted ourselves to training and command. At the same time a civilian can learn to use a rifle or pistol as responsibly and as well as anyone in the military. That is what we should be focusing on- maintaining our right to self-defense instead of silly apocalyptic arguments about collapsed governments and military coups.
    pgrass101 likes this.

  10. #24
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    5,669
    just a "trigger" word for the media to use.

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array cmdrdredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,026
    You cannot call something an assault weapon until it is used to assault someone. So until my butter knife and spoon assault someone they are not assault weapons, nor is your Suppressed 6.8MM Wilson Combat SBR.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

  12. #26
    Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,303
    Here is what I use as a definition:

    As the United States Defense Department's Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, "assault rifles" are "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[21] In other words, assault rifles are battlefield rifles which can fire automatically.[22]

    See link the full article: Rational Basis Analysis of "Assault Weapon" Prohibition


    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

    If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    As of this posting 36 posters choose the wrong answer... The answer is none......
    The Truth About Assault Weapons
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  14. #28
    Senior Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North of the Line
    Posts
    1,159

  15. #29
    Senior Member Array acepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    547
    ANY weapon used to assault someone. Bat, hammer, car keys, brick, rock...the list goes on and on.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

  16. #30
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    As of this posting 36 posters choose the wrong answer...
    Opinions vary. Hence the anonymous poll.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

assault rifle definition

,

assault weapon definition

,
assault weapons defined
,

assault weapons definition

,
define assault weapon
,
definition of assalt rifle
,
is a glock pistol an assault weapon?
,
is there a militar definition known as a asault weapon
,
semi-automatic assault misnomer
,
what is a military assault weapon
,

what is an assault weapon

,

what is considered an assault weapon

,
what is the definition of an assault weapon
,
what is the difanition of assault weapon
,
why assault weapons is a misnomer
Click on a term to search for related topics.