What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

This is a discussion on What is your definition of "assault weapon"? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Select as many types of firearms you believe legitimately fall into the category of "assault weapons" (firearms). A few points: This is an anonymous poll ...

View Poll Results: What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single/dual-shot pistol

0 0%
  • Revolver -- less than X rds

0 0%
  • Revolver -- over X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto pistol -- less than X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto pistol -- over X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, less than X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, over X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto rifle -- less than X rds

0 0%
  • Semi-auto rifle -- over X rds

0 0%
  • Full-auto pistol -- any nbr rds

12 12.24%
  • Full-auto shotgun -- 12ga+, any nbr rds

13 13.27%
  • Full-auto rifle -- smaller caliber, less than X rds

14 14.29%
  • Full-auto rifle -- smaller caliber, over X rds

24 24.49%
  • Full-auto rifle -- larger caliber, less than X rds

16 16.33%
  • Full-auto rifle -- larger caliber, over X rds

23 23.47%
  • None -- "Assault Weapons" is a misnomer

67 68.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

Question What is your definition of "assault weapon"?

Select as many types of firearms you believe legitimately fall into the category of "assault weapons" (firearms).

A few points:

• This is an anonymous poll with multiple-choice selections.

• Am using the term "assault weapon" because that's the commonly-used phrase we all hear (or "assault rifle"), though this poll is about firearms in that category (pistols, shotguns, rifles ... if that's how you see the term).

• For the purposes of this poll: Let's focus on what the term means to each of us. The term has a meaning for you personally. Either it's a red herring euphemism designed to sway public opinion, or it's a legitimate term referring to certain firearms but not others. Select your choice(s) from the list.

BTW, my apologies for the previous shot at a poll on this topic. I realize several folks had already made their poll selections. There were some errors in the choices. Sorry about closing/zapping the old one, but it wasn't going to reflect our full understanding of the term. Hence the change to a new, replacement poll.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

An "assault weapon" is any weapon that you can use to assault someone. So, its actually a bit a misnomer, and can apply to pretty much anything.

An "assault rifle" is a select fire, box magazine fed rifle that fires and intermediate cartridge.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Just like "Dangerous Weapon" or "Deadly Weapon" - it's all relative.

Austin

The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", "storm" as in "military attack"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler as a new name for the Maschinenpistole 43, subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularise the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:
    1 It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder
    2 It must be capable of selective fire;
    3 It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
    4 Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
    5 it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet).

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 that share parts or design characteristics with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective fire capable. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines.

The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely and incorectly used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.

The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    A weapon comparable to those of the forces the Second Amendment intends us to be equal to.
    bombthrower77 and tdw63 like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I voted none, because the 2A was written to keep the people on a equal footing with the military.
    aus71383 likes this.

who cares?

As of this post 39 voters got it wrong. Since the term "assault weapon" was concocted by the anti gun crowd there is no such weapon. Unfortunately the public and even many on this forum have accepted the made up definition.
    pfries and msgt/ret like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
    I voted none, because the 2A was written to keep the people on a equal footing with the military.
    Can't happen. Civilians will always be different than the military because the military has a chain of command that they are sworn to follow, and we do not. As civilians we can only fight as individuals because none of us have to take orders from another. And unlike soldiers we can walk away from any fight we don't believe in.

Regarding the OP, I'd take "assault weapon" to mean any man-portable, selective-fire weapon. No semi-auto rifle would be included and a heavy machine gun would not be included.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think the original meaning was probably a weapon suitable for a military 'assault', i.e. a D-Day assault on Normandy...

Obviously the term has been stolen and perveted for political gain. The political definition of 'assault weapon' is of no use to me -- regardless of what it is or isn't, it is an 'arm' that I have a right to keep and bear. My right encompasses any number of pistol grips, barrel shrouds, high clip bullets (lol), short barrels, silencers, semi-auto, full-auto, bayonet launcher, or any other particular. For that matter, even particulars that haven't been invented yet. I'm sure someday Star Trek phasers will be popular -- and it will be my right to keep them and bear them.

Assualt weapons are arms, and nothing else matters.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Can't happen. Civilians will always be different than the military because the military has a chain of command that they are sworn to follow, and we do not. As civilians we can only fight as individuals because none of us have to take orders from another. And unlike soldiers we can walk away from any fight we don't believe in.

Regarding the OP, I'd take "assault weapon" to mean any man-portable, selective-fire weapon. No semi-auto rifle would be included and a heavy machine gun would not be included.
    Are you saying that chain of command has something to do with The People keeping the same arms as soldiers? Or are you implying that citizen rebels could never defeat the king's men because they would run away from battle?

I've taken to correcting people when they use the term assualt rifle to me. After they explain what they mean I say: "Oh a patriot rifle".
    DaRedneck likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

This is a great site to pass on to those that might not know what an assault weapon really is.....

The Truth About Assault Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    who cares?
    Anyone using the term "assault rifle" or hearing it used badly.

Me, for being interested in knowing what interested people think of the term.

Others who are participating.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I voted none. My reasoning. I consider any weapon used to attack an individual or a group of the same to be an assualt weapon; just like I consider any firearm used for defense to be a defensive one. So, bottom line for me, it's how the weapon is used that determines its title, if there really is one, other than the make and modle. IMO, the term "Assualt weapon" is a misnomer used by the opposition for political purposes.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links