Probably been raised before... using correct terminology.

This is a discussion on Probably been raised before... using correct terminology. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a technically correct person, and I get frustrated with the use of some terminology. I am not talking about magazines versus clips, although ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By aus71383
  • 1 Post By Crowman
  • 2 Post By phreddy

Thread: Probably been raised before... using correct terminology.

I am a technically correct person, and I get frustrated with the use of some terminology. I am not talking about magazines versus clips, although there is a difference. I have gotten to the point where I will hold my tongue on the use of this term (except when CNN, CBS, etc uses both terms in the same news article or story when they are talking about the same thing).

It is the "High Capacity" term that drives me nuts - are magazines that hold the number of rounds that the gun is designed for "High Capacity" or is it "Standard Capacity"?

Is high capacity REALLY any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds? Or is "High Capacity" an after-market or an accessory device that allow the gun to hold more than the typical magazine that a particular gun is designed to hold?

Edited: Fixed an error the grammar police pointed out.
    Last edited by DMan; January 13th, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    High capacity, like assault weapon, is defined in whatever manner the banners arbitrarily decide upon.
    phreddy and ccw9mm like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I think the "No Capacity" would be 0, "Low Capacity" would be 1, and "High Capacity" is anything more than 1. Thus - all of my revolvers have "High Capacity" cylinders.

Austin
    WINTEJER000 and Crowman like this.

I've never thought about it that way.What is high capacity?.Why is it over 10 rds?When i bought my glock19,about 6 yrs ago,it came with 2-15 rd mags,as most know,that has one.I bought 2 more,and glad i did now.

The media would have no problem describing a 'horrible' crime being committed with an 'assault/high capacity' Ruger SP101.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So, you are a "technically correct person" huh? Then you shouldn't, in your third paragraph, use the singular "an aftermarket accessory..." accompanied with the plural "devices". If you're gonna' tell us what you are, I suggest you actually...be what you tell us.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    So, you are a "technically correct person" huh? Then you shouldn't, in your third paragraph, use the singular "an aftermarket accessory..." accompanied with the plural "devices". If you're gonna' tell us what you are, I suggest you actually...be what you tell us.
    Like I have said before, I am not a great writer, it is a weakness that I am aware of and constantly trying to improve on. However, the grammar police here can beyond ridiculous. MY GOD. If I can overlook some people's use of magazine versus clips, others can overlook other weaknesses. Yes, my personality drives me to be a technically correct person, and when I am incorrect, it drives me crazy. Now that you pointed that out, it is totally driving me nuts. THANKS A LOT. Now I have to back and fix it, and will probably have to fix something in here as well.

Fighting a form of dyslexia that affects my ability to navigate and read, writing and proofreading is really tough for me. Don't ever hire me to be a professional driver, or to write for you.

However, the grammar police here are beyond ridiculous.
    I was just pointing out that if you're gonna' spout about your rigid "technical correctness", it might be, uh...prudent to reinforce that self-professed credibility with correct grammar. As you your "previously mentioned" learning disability, I surely wasn't intending to tweak you. But, with all due respect, I'm not likely to dig through 748 previous posts to discover it. As for me being "beyond ridiculous"? You could have easily made your point without first telling us what a technical stickler you are.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I was just pointing out that if you're gonna' spout about your rigid "technical correctness", it might be, uh...prudent to reinforce that self-professed credibility with correct grammar. As you your "previously mentioned" learning disability, I surely wasn't intending to tweak you. But, with all due respect, I'm not likely to dig through 748 previous posts to discover it. As for me being "beyond ridiculous"? You could have easily made your point without first telling us what a technical stickler you are.

Gee, remind me not to ever point out any irony in your "I am a technically correct person" threads. First you call me names; "grammar police" & "master". You've dismissed my noticing it; "blah blah". And you've prayed about it; "MY GOD". Seems you are less concerned about actually being technically correct than you are about convincing us how true it is. And then testy at ME when you're not? Re-read my posts, I never...insulted you. Please accept my apology for any affront.

Get it back on topic, gents.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    The so-called media are notorious for exaggerating any thing to do with firearms; a scoped hunting rifle in their minds suddenly becomes a lethal high-powered sniper rifle. Three boxes of ammunition morphs into a cache of ammunition capable of killing hundreds and more than two firearms are an arsenal capable of equipping a third world country. And assault rifles are anything capable of causing them to lose bowel and bladder control at the mere sight of them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The term "high capacity" is being used to brainwash the public into thinking having them on weapons is more dangerous. The so called 10 round limit the anti gun crowd purposes means nothing but again it helps in the brainwashing of the public into believing something was accomplished. The anti gun agenda has been and always will be to slowly erode the 2nd amendment rights and to someday ban all firearms from the general population. They realize they can not go for the gold since it would never work.

Sadly "their" brainwashing" tactics are working on Americans that don't understand/or care less. Plus "they" get free media from the anti gun media outlets which are many.
    MamaMaria likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If you haven't, read the novel "1984" by George Orwell. If you can control the launguage, you control the arguement.
    gasmitty and MamaMaria like this.

Right on, Phreddy! I read 1984 and Brave New World as required reading in 12th grade Brit Lit class way back in 1994 (now you now how old I am ). I remember being "awakened" that year. The leaders and media are NOT stupid. They have carefully crafted their language to appeal to the "useful idiots."

CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, and yes, even FOX news fill the heads of the uneducated with "scary" sounding words about "scary" looking "death machines." It is by no accident that these terms are chosen. (Okay, back to my tin foil lined cave )
    Last edited by MamaMaria; January 14th, 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling, my Lit teacher would be so disappointed
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Sponsored Links