Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ??

This is a discussion on Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ahhhh that explains why shelves so bare when looking at ammo the other day in a NY walmart..... looking for 243 and shelves were close ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ??

Ahhhh that explains why shelves so bare when looking at ammo the other day in a NY walmart.....

looking for 243 and shelves were close to bare!!
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

2. Remove Ads

The way ammo has been selling............not like a retailer to turn their nose up to the cash cow unless they know more than we do.

Ahhhh......now I see.....caving to Shumer's request......Hmmmm.

Distinguished Member
    This really suprises me. Based on the vendor agreements that Wal-mart makes its suppliers sign, the goods are basically sold on consignment. Wal-mart does not pay until the goods are sold. Wal-mart also has extensive return rights and shipping is paid by the supplier. There is almost no risk to Wal-mart if the ammo was banned and could not be sold.

Don't expect big box stores to support firearms retailing if it costs them a nickel more. Sports Authority was a huge retailer of handguns and long guns until the 1994 AWB. First, the handguns went, then the evil black rifles, and heaven knows if they even sell any guns at all since I rarely have a need to go in there. Even liability is a concern. My wife's law firm was involved in civil suits following a murder case, and the shooter bought his 9mm ammo at 11 pm from a Wal-Mart. Well, the Phoenix area Wal-Marts have a policy of not selling ammo after 10 pm, so guess what - they were named in a lawsuit as contributing to the death of the victim.

I won't shed a tear about Wal-Mart not making any money from shooters. Sam Walton would be doing 30 rpm in his grave if he knew what became of his All-American company.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Guys, Wally mart isn't caving. They are doing what is best for their bottom line. They are holding off on new purchasing until they know the outcome of any possible new legislation.

The bottom line is that they don't want to be stuck with 5 million units of product that they can't sell. Be it guns or widgets, it makes no difference. Wally mart is all about the dollar. If they have a market to sell guns and make a profit they will sell them.
    For now, this is the correct response, IMO.

Wal-Mart doesn't purchase things in reasonable quantities; they purchase things in such quantity that they can't really afford to get stuck holding millions of dollars worth of ammunition that they cannot sell. It's a liability and they are a public company, so they have to play it cautious. We have no idea what "new laws" they were fed during their meeting but the fact is if they have been informed, they can't go ahead and gamble millions of dollars.

Now after all the dust has settled, and if the community organizer has been unsuccessful at creating any laws that actually effect Wal-Mart, we'll see what their position really is. If they go back to business as usual, then fine. If they maintain a freeze on guns or ammo sales, then they will go on the boycot list along with all the other sell-outs.
    WHEC724, atctimmy, Bark'n and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Believe me, I would love for a retailer locally to come close to WM's prices. The closest I've found is nearly $15 a box more for 100 rnds of WWB .45s. That adds up quick!

Hopefully other retailers will grab up WM's allotments and drop their prices.

Re: Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ??

This is ridiculous. Everybody seems to be running scared.

I don't understand why they just can't operate like business as usual. It's not like they would be stuck with any inventory, ammo is flying off the shelves.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    This is ridiculous. Everybody seems to be running scared.

I don't understand why they just can't operate like business as usual. It's not like they would be stuck with any inventory, ammo is flying off the shelves.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Well, I can tell you why they are running scared. The current administration has proven on multiple occasions that they will do what they want, when they want, and they don't really care about how "legal" it is. If you have that many zeros tied up in a product, you'd be crazy not to be scared, IMO.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

That is why a lot of people stocked up on ammo, guns and the like. The run on that stuff has been reignited by the current administrations push and the talk of another AWB and restricting high capacity magazines. Ammunition in itself has not been on the table, and there will always be single shots so other than people stocking up the ammo will be back. Prices will be dictated by the market.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I get the sense that the Walmart decision is based strictly on business. Since they buy in such huge quantities, they don't want to get stuck with a warehouse of ammo if laws are passed that restrict selling. Another thought is that they are paying a much higher price for ammo and are holding off until prices settle back down, not wanting to appear to be gouging and losing their image of "low price" retailer. Or, they could be jerks.

Have to admit, I never went to wally world for anything either, until I was looking for ammo for my new gun. HATE places with slanty parking spots- you know the ones where you're only allowed to go one direction down the aisles in your car?! If only Target sold ammo... Talk about one stop shopping!! I did find about 5 boxes of Winchester white box .380 (100 rounds!) at wal mart about a week ago for $35 and change and only bought 1. Kickin myself now!! My gun ate it right up!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I don't believe in formal boycotts, but I have stopped spending money at WM, Dicks, and Cheaper than dirt...

Lol, to hell with everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    How anyone could shop at that God awful place is beyond comprehension. Youre giving money to a company that lowers your property value, and probably driving by dozens of closed down stores to buy 3 dollar underwear and 'ol roy.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    But there actions, whether intentional or not, plays into the hands of Obama because there were no objections by Wal Mart and they have basically dropped their gun/ammo department, which I am sure was a major profit center, without as much as a whimper.

Wal Mart, IMO, is nothing more than a major vendor for Chinese produced junk.

Lets see, I am boycotting:
    Wal Mart
    Dick's
    Cheaper than Dirt
    Hornady Ammo
    All businesses that have "No Guns" signs posted

Are there others that I should boycott?

Whether they "are caving" or doing what is best for their bottom line, if Wlamart does not order the ammo from the manufacturers, some one else will. Supply and demand will always rule. If there is a demand, the inventory that would ave been reserved for Wlamart will just be sold to another ammo dealer.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Biden probably whispered to them: "if you help us out now, when the mandatory gun buy-backs take place we'll pay everyone with walmart gift cards"
    TX expat, sauerpuss and Warmon like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links