Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ??

This is a discussion on Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TX expat Actually I think I'm back to undecided on BoA. I've done a lot of research on these claims and honestly, ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ??

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Actually I think I'm back to undecided on BoA. I've done a lot of research on these claims and honestly, I'm not sold that BoA was doing anything out of the ordinary.

First off, on this second incident they didn't freeze accounts, they froze deposits. They did this because of the huge uptick this company had in deposits. They do have some responsibility to investigate and make sure that there is nothing "wrong" is going on. Fraud, like it or not, is a huge issue for the banking industry and they sometimes have to limit their liability by making sure transactions are legitimate. I'm not going to make any judgements on what someone said someone else said on the phone because that's just too unreliable, and since that someone probably doesn't dictate policy, it's potentially inaccurate as well.

I'm not saying they are, or are not, anti-2A. I'm just suggesting that I have yet to be convinced either way.
    That's what I felt on this too when I read it. They have to watch out for their bottom line. If they get a bunch of bad deposits and they accept them, they are out whatever amount they accepted.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Guys, Wally mart isn't caving. They are doing what is best for their bottom line. They are holding off on new purchasing until they know the outcome of any possible new legislation.

The bottom line is that they don't want to be stuck with 5 million units of product that they can't sell. Be it guns or widgets, it makes no difference. Wally mart is all about the dollar. If they have a market to sell guns and make a profit they will sell them.
    Nope... The government would not say tomorrow we stop selling everything... they always give the stores, etc a period of time before the door shuts. So I don't buy that statement that they'd be stuck with inventory... no way, no how... If or when the law changes, that 5 mill in inventory would be sold in less than 24 hours I am absolutely sure of that...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Next best thing to purchase is ShotGun Shells. Dunhams usually has a sale on it every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    Nope... The government would not say tomorrow we stop selling everything... they always give the stores, etc a period of time before the door shuts. So I don't buy that statement that they'd be stuck with inventory... no way, no how... If or when the law changes, that 5 mill in inventory would be sold in less than 24 hours I am absolutely sure of that...
    It has been said that Walmart has deals with the manufacturer that they have easy returns no questions asked and the shipping is on them. That's the benefit of buying 5million rounds at a time.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Their ammo has been overpriced since 08 in my area.

If they have caved, I will just shop at Meijer in the future.
    NRA Life Member

GOA Member

Walmart -- -have they caved, or have they just put selling ammo "oh hold" ??

How could they be worried about "overstock" if they have none?
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    That's my point. But if more people stopped buying at wal mart they'd have to give locals a break. Clearly they are spineless, compared to the small guys that are pretty hardcore 2A supporters.
    No, they don't have to give the little guys a break. And they wouldn't give the little guys a break. Basic economics always wins and unless you can meet the scale of Wal Mart you're not going to get their price.

Kind of like when a certain manufacturer found out their product had been ordered by Dick's customers and then Dick's cancelled it all and quit selling the product. They came out and said that they'd be looking for outlets but unless the new outlet could meet the scale offered by Dick's the price would have to increase. Same works with ammo. If I order 5000 rounds a week for my LGS I'm not going to get the price that a company that orders 5,000,000 rounds a week is going to get.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The LEFT has been beating up Walmart ..... for selling ammo and guns in different articles out there.

http://www.thenation.com/article/171...weapon-america#
    How Walmart Helped Make the Newtown Shooter's AR-15 the Most Popular Assault Weapon in America

So when he saw the weapons for sale at Walmart, Brown took action. He called the chief of police and members of the City Council, who in turn applied pressure on local Walmart managers. In response, the chain promised the city in writing, in June, that it would no longer sell assault weapons in South Bend.

Brown thought the problem was solved. Then, this past fall, his phone rang: “I had a parent call me and say, ‘Mr. Brown, they’re selling them.’” He went back to Walmart, and indeed, the weapons were still on display—without much in the way of security. “I saw the glass unsecured,” Brown said. “The employee who worked there said, ‘I only work part-time back here.’ He opened the glass…. This guy left the cabinet open and walked away.”

This time, Brown came prepared: he’d brought a police officer and a reporter for the local ABC station with him. They took pictures, and the reporter did a story that made waves in South Bend. Walmart apologized and promised to fix the error.
    A month later, Brown said he’d heard from a police officer that the combat-style weapons were being sold inside the packed store on Black Friday. He said he’ll keep up the fight and plans to visit the City Council again to ask for tougher action. “I’m not against guns; I’m not trying to go against the NRA,” Brown said. “But I’m against the way they sell them. You can go in Walmart at 3:30 in the morning and you can’t buy a can of beer. But you can walk in there to the ammunition [counter] and buy as many boxes as you want. I have a problem with that.”
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    My LGS owner just returned from a distributors show this week. He met with reps from most major manufacturers. This is what he related to me.

Federal- no civilian 223 until April

Armalite, Daniel Defense, Bushmaster- entire 2013 production capability has been sold

Colt- running at " War time production output " 15000 units per month " order what you want, expect to see 5-7% of that arrive"

Troy- has an outlet for their products ( as yet unnamed )

We've already heard of 1M PMAGs on backorder

The distributors warehouse was EMPTY !!! They wrote orders totaling 1.5B . Keep in mind, writing and being able to deliver are not the same.

This was just one distributor and SHOT SHOW isn't until next week. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

" WE HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY, AND IT IS US"

It's time to TAKE A DEEP BREATH, UNTWIST OUR KNICKERS, PULL ON THE BIG BOY BRITCHES and FOCUS ON THE REAL PROBLEM. IE: THE FECES SPEWING FROM THAT TOILET ON THE HILL-- WASHINGTON.

For more insight, see my sig line.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Wait, wait, it's ok. Have you heard the news? Wal-Mart is going to hire veterans and buy more American products. See, all is right with the world. Aaaarrgghh!! Their spin-doctors are working overtime, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    How anyone could shop at that God awful place is beyond comprehension. Youre giving money to a company that lowers your property value, and probably driving by dozens of closed down stores to buy 3 dollar underwear and 'ol roy.
    Amen to that. I get physically ill when I enter the parking lot. When absolutely unavoidable, I did feel better picking up some cheap WWB to shoot paper...now, the is no reason at all to make myself go...and that's ok.

VIP Member
    OK_15 Jan ca. 3:00 Went to WM. Ammo shelves are almost empty. Friendly ammo guy says we can't order
    any till this stuff in Washington is settled.

Me: I thought that was an internet rumor.
    He: Here's our manager I'll ask him.
    Manager: Huh? Haven't heard anything about that.
    Ammo guy : So can I order ammo from Walmart or from other suppliers?
    Manager: Puzzled look. Whatever you've been doing. Get it from wherever. I haven't
    seen anything that says we can't order ammo from WM.

Ammo guy: ( Shakes head. Looks puzzled.)
    Me: When do you think I should come back again?
    Ammo guy: Who knows. I don't know what's going on.

OK-- that's the situation at Hopyard's place as of 30 minutes ago. YMMV.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    My son works there and they have shipments of ammo coming in every day. But they won't put it out on the shelves. He says there is plenty in the back shipping area. Maybe they are going to hold off and sell it at a premuim after the 19 EOs are signed.

I didn't realize Wal Mart had any ammo to hold.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    I didn't realize Wal Mart had any ammo to hold.
    I am guessing there is a fair amount in the pipeline ( on trucks, warehouses ....) Who knows maybe they plan to give it back to Obama.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links