Poly 1911???

This is a discussion on Poly 1911??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all you polymer gun fans and 1911 fans, I have a question. I recently read about the Rock River Arms new Polymer 1911 and ...

Thread: Poly 1911???

Poly 1911???

Hey all you polymer gun fans and 1911 fans, I have a question. I recently read about the Rock River Arms new Polymer 1911 and am intrigued. I haven't been able to find one at any lgs, don't think they are released yet. I read that it is projected to have a MSRP of $800. Do you think this will be worth it? I already have 1 1911 but am always looking for another.
    Rock River Arms: RRA 1911 Poly

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Somewhere JMB and Col. Cooper are rolling over in their graves.

OK seriously, there are some other polymer 1911 style guns out there already and they seem to run just fine. STI and SV come to mind. At an msrp of $800 I'm guessing that you'd be better served by a Springer. To me the wow factor of the 1911 isn't worth paying the extra money for them. Then you add in the polymer frame that takes away half of the old school beauty. So, to me, I'd go with a Springer if I was buying a 1911. Or, if I wanted a polymer gun, I'd go with Glock/M&P.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Thanks for your input, i thought it was kind of odd myself. No offence i don't loke Glock (just doesn't feel good in my hand) even if they are great sidearms. Thinking twords either the xd9 or m&p9 for next sidearm buy.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Of the polymer-framed 1911's out there, the one I'd really take a look at is one of 2011 (wide-body 1911s) from STI. In the hand, they feel amazing. Spendy, sure, but with features that make them attractive. It's worth finding one and seeing how it fits, if you're looking for "polymer."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

was curious about it because its a single stack poly
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

VIP Member
    There is just something about plastic that would take away from the beauty of a 1911.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

BUL Transmark Ltd. has been building their BUL M5 in Israel for years. Poly 1911s have been around for a while. Are they worth it? That's up to the buyer. But IMHO, there are plenty of tried & true alloy-framed 1911 variants for weight to be the salient attribute. So I'm not seeing the advantage. Buy a poly-framed (GLOCK, XM, M&P) autoloader if you're inclined. Ditto for a more conventional 1911. But unless you uniquely want/need a competition double-stack 1911 (STI), what's the use?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links