Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

This is a discussion on Purpose of stockpiling ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son and I will burn through 1000 rounds in a day at our range. We do this at least once a month. Keeping a ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

VIP Member
    My son and I will burn through 1000 rounds in a day at our range. We do this at least once a month.

Keeping a reserve so that we can keep shooting whenever there is another purchase panic seems like a no-brainer to me.

Shooting is a perishable skill. Use it or lose it.
    aus71383 and soonershoote like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, the purpose depends on the goals of the person in question.

For myself, "stockpiling" is merely a bad-dog euphemism for having enough on-hand in case of the supply pipeline either drying up or getting so expensive it's irrelevant. How much is enough is a judgment call, based on many factors and perceptions, many of which are outside of my control.
    OKay, great point. Now let me ask you this. Say you have 1000 rounds of your given carry gun ammo. And the supply line goes dry. Do you have this extra 1000 rounds so you can keep practicing like you normally do (i.e. 100 rounds a week) until more is available, or do you hoard what you have? If the latter, why hoard 1000 rounds?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    OKay, great point. Now let me ask you this. Say you have 1000 rounds of your given carry gun ammo. And the supply line goes dry. Do you have this extra 1000 rounds so you can keep practicing like you normally do (i.e. 100 rounds a week) until more is available, or do you hoard what you have? If the latter, why hoard 1000 rounds?
    Exactly why I have much more than a mere 1000 rounds on hand at any given time.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Exactly why I have much more than a mere 1000 rounds on hand at any given time.
    Which is exactly why? So you can practice or so you can hoard? Not trying to be a butt by the way, just trying to grasp this concept of needing so much ammo. I still am unconvinced I need 1000 rounds or 10,000 rounds. I mean, the SD ammo in my carry gun has been in there for some time. I don't HAVE to shoot if the supply runs empty. Just need enough for SD until more becomes available (anyone understand my logic?)
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Which is exactly why? So you can practice or so you can hoard?
    I keep an abundance of ammo on hand so I can continue to train, rotate my stock, and not run short when supplies tighten up.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I keep an abundance of ammo on hand so I can continue to train, rotate my stock, and not run short when supplies tighten up.
    Fair enough. Thanks for your insight!

"Hoard" is another one of those bad-dog euphemisms for those who dislike that another has any supply when for others the supply's gone dry.

Everyone's different, based on perceptions and goals. I prefer to keep up my shooting practice, and I really prefer to have sufficient carry ammo on-hand to weather however long the "storm" is going to be. Trouble is, it's hard to know how bad it'll be, and for how long. Depends on the "storm."

Somewhat similar to the current crazy environment, I can recall back in 2008 and 1994 vividly, and a bit of 1986. The run in 2008 seemed a bit worse, overall, though this one has hit like a freight train. Overall, prices spiked at those times for many things as well, badly for some items. And if anyone's looking to how bad/long it could be for fully-banned items, one need only look as far as the full-auto rifle market and what prices and availability did then ... and how it's still that way. Could this situation be that bad? Depends on what the unconstitutional tyrants shove down our throats this time, if they're able to shove it. Hence the runs. Won't know until the fat congress critter "sings."
    aus71383 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would need a 1000 rounds of handgun ammo. I mean, I always keep a few mags full of my SD ammo for home/personal defense and then just buy and shoot range ammo as needed.
    Some people shoot more than that, especially competitors. I know a few that are putting that many down range a week. I don't buy ammo but usually am stocked up on powder and primers. The people that didn't have supplies on hand the last time this happened, either cut back or had to quit for a while. Considering insured money earns practically nothing these days, why not stock up if you have some extra cash?
    Last edited by Simonsay; January 14th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    .you think people are panicking like sheep?
    Absolutely. Just look at the 'flock' at gun shows, gun shops. There are lines. Yes, that's pure fear buying. Fear that your not going to get your share.

I stopped going to the range because of all the newbies that have 'flocked' there. Consuming all they can. Very poor gun handling as well and I want no part of being around the current frenzied 'herd'.

I bought my share long ago and maintain it.
    rstanek likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    With Biden's "task force", talks of executive orders to carry out restrictions, an administrative mission to re-instate an "assault" weapons ban, bills being proposed left and right from people like Fienstien, and shooting incidents from mad men being used as scapegoats for more restrictions and a full-on national registration ...you think people are panicking like sheep?
    No, I think they are stampeding like cattle.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    With a family of 6 adult children, 26 grandkids, and 9 going on 10 great, we go thru a 5000 round brick of 22 lr in the first month of summer! As for training I go thru 4,000 rounds of 9mm ever 3 months! So I need 16,000 round of 9mm annually! Whats the stockpiling limit? According to the NFP Code it is 10,000 rounds within a structure (unless you have a storage magazine**), so until you exceed that you're not hoarding!

Yes I reload, but that is for my hunting rounds as I don't have time for the training ammo and working!

** for those in Pahrump, NV, a "storage magazine" IS NOT A CLIP NOR A MAGAZINE FOR A FIREARM!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Absolutely. Just look at the 'flock' at gun shows, gun shops. There are lines. Yes, that's pure fear buying. Fear that your not going to get your share.

I stopped going to the range because of all the newbies that have 'flocked' there. Consuming all they can. Very poor gun handling as well and I want no part of being around the current frenzied 'herd'.

I bought my share long ago and maintain it.
    I wouldn't go near a gun show either. Some people haven't stockpiled any ammo, like you have already done. They are worried that it won't be available when they actually need it. When supply is low, demand is high. Prices are also going to go up. Taxes may increase on all things gun related as well.

Distinguished Member
    I'm glad you mentioned that, and I can understand buying up .223 or .556. But why in the heck is there no 9mm or .45acp on the shelves? Handguns aren't under attack........YET!

As for stockpiling, I guess I consider 1000 rounds to be a stockpile. I have a monthly budget (4 kids, 1 wife, 1 meger income) and cannot afford to spend $250 a pop on ammo. My $50 weekly budget (total cost for 100 rounds of .40 and range time/targets) is about all I can swing.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would need a 1000 rounds of handgun ammo. I mean, I always keep a few mags full of my SD ammo for home/personal defense and then just buy and shoot range ammo as needed. Never really felt the need to buy "stores". So why do you all keep 1000 rounds in your cars or houses? For a war? (not being funny, trying to make up my mind if I am missing something and need to devote some money to adding more ammo to my cache)
    Au Contraire... pretty much anything with a detachable magazine is under attack.
    Lnafree likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I just bought 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag from my LGS. $29.99!!!! Yikes, that hurt. I'll either stop shooting or look somewhere else. I questioned him about it, and he stated that his cost has gone through the roof... He's the only place around the area that has any ammo???
    Tony

I wish I had more ammo. I did go to the gun show here in Mesa this weekend and it was crazy. The longest line we have ever seen. I was looking for some 1911 mags and some reloading stuff, but not much there at reasonable prices. I did get some bullets though at a good price, sucked I had to carry them around for awhile though, didn't want to miss out and have them all sold out. LOL!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links