Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

This is a discussion on Purpose of stockpiling ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Realleycat I just bought 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag from my LGS. $29.99!!!! Yikes, that hurt. I'll either stop shooting or look ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    I just bought 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag from my LGS. $29.99!!!! Yikes, that hurt. I'll either stop shooting or look somewhere else. I questioned him about it, and he stated that his cost has gone through the roof... He's the only place around the area that has any ammo???
    Unfortunately he is not alone. Many have gone up in price.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned that, and I can understand buying up .223 or .556. But why in the heck is there no 9mm or .45acp on the shelves? Handguns aren't under attack........YET!

As for stockpiling, I guess I consider 1000 rounds to be a stockpile. I have a monthly budget (4 kids, 1 wife, 1 meger income) and cannot afford to spend $250 a pop on ammo. My $50 weekly budget (total cost for 100 rounds of .40 and range time/targets) is about all I can swing.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would need a 1000 rounds of handgun ammo. I mean, I always keep a few mags full of my SD ammo for home/personal defense and then just buy and shoot range ammo as needed. Never really felt the need to buy "stores". So why do you all keep 1000 rounds in your cars or houses? For a war? (not being funny, trying to make up my mind if I am missing something and need to devote some money to adding more ammo to my cache)
    On any given day, all it takes is one perceived mistake by a LEO or an unpopular verdict and we can be placed in a position to either fight our way out of (or into) our homes. During the recent London riots, in certain neighborhoods, families were stranded in their homes for days playing Anne Frank with all of the violent home invasions by some of the roving gangs. You may be thinking "But, that won't happen where I live."...they didn't think that either, until it did.
    aus71383 likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

4 words. Pew pew pew! 'Murica!

I have about 1000-1200 rounds of 9mm sitting in my closet just waiting to be burned through! The only reason I bought so much at one time (5 day period) is because I knew it would be at least a month or two of dry shelves

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I got an email from my favorite online ammo store. They had AR-15 ammo in stock at $1 per round. I got home 1 hour and 12 minutes after receiving the email and clicked on the link...they were already out of stock!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My definition of stockpiling is; 1k rnds per weapon plus 250-500 rnds of JHP for each SD weapon, other than antiques. This is not the definition used by many of my relatives and friends, most believe that there is always a need for more ammo regardless of present supply. Up until recently on my normal range trips I expended at least 1k rounds per month.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I've always been a buy as I go kind of guy, but this hysteria has me rethinking my ammo purchases. I'm buying in larger quantities when I see it and will keep a modest cache in my gun safe from now on.

I load up on as much ammo as I can within reason. I have a minimum threshold for each caliber I own, for example 1,200 quality SD 9mm and .45 rounds each, 1,500 5.56, 500 .308, 2,000 .22 ...Anything above is typically FMJ and my recreational ammo. When my personal thresholds are hit, I stop taking the kids to the range and I stop going and depleting my ammo. Its just my method right or wrong. I really enjoy shooting for fun and like most of us, have built up my ammo stocks over an extended period of time and have been disciplined. Just 2 cents.
    aus71383 likes this.

Really does depend on what a person considered stockpiled ammo. Where I live I have never, and still never, have a problem finding ammo. I get the cheap stuff, 9.99 to 11.99 a box blazer 9mm to plink with. I went in a week ago and bought 14 boxes and while I was there a guy was picking up .223 and didn't seem to have a problem getting it, at least this is what one guy was saying to the other guy he was with. To my husband 14 boxes is stocking up lol. To me 14 boxes is a nice day at the range with friends lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Even .22 LR ammo is drying up.I usually get my ammo from Wally World and all they have left are boxes of buckshot and a few boxes of .380.9mm ,.45,.22,.223,even ammo for the AKs (forget what rounds those are) are gone.

Re: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

Also, some of us belong to outdoor ranges that don't sell ammo. Why run to the LGS when you can buy a case and use it for a month or so? If it was on sale, why not stock up? Have you not seen the top couponer show where people have a year's supply of soda?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Purpose for stockpiling ammo is the same as rationale for stockpiling food, water or purchasing other supplies that you expect to be in short supply.
    Lotus222, phreddy, OD* and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Purpose for stockpiling ammo is the same as rationale for stockpiling food, water or purchasing other supplies that you expect to be in short supply.
    Agreed. Also, not everyone is "stockpiling" in huge quantities. Many people, like myself, buy ammo on an as-needed basis. Sure I have a box or two of SD ammo, but not a lot for practice. I'm used to hitting the local store and buying what I need for the day. Well, with all of the hooplah talk and legislation proposed, I thought I could use a little "reserve" of ammo. As in, buy a few boxes for the guns that I own. Nothing crazy, just a little extra that I don't normally have. Multiply that same attitude across the country, and there is a lot of ammo being bought up. It isn't just the guys (and gals) buying in huge bulk quantities.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Which is exactly why? So you can practice or so you can hoard? Not trying to be a butt by the way, just trying to grasp this concept of needing so much ammo. I still am unconvinced I need 1000 rounds or 10,000 rounds. I mean, the SD ammo in my carry gun has been in there for some time. I don't HAVE to shoot if the supply runs empty. Just need enough for SD until more becomes available (anyone understand my logic?)
    Seriously! Are you unable to come up with a single rational reason as to why you might need more than the amount of rounds of ammo that your gun holds?
    aus71383 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I think the reason why is that there were rumors that the Gov't may increase taxes on ammo to the point where even if you have firearms you couldn't afford the ammo. I myself buy a box each for my Ruger P90, my Glock 27 and my Bersa Thunder 380.

Hey all, thanks for the lively discussion. Good points I didn't think about (especially the competitive shooters). I feel better knowing that I am not missing the boat so to speak with my relatively small hoard of bullets (200). For me, it is more than enough. I guess I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to run out and buy another 1000 rounds cause I didn't know something. I feel better.

As for roving gangs doing home invasions, well, if that happens I am going to bug out and head over to my buddies house. He stockpiles AR's and ammo like I do donuts and coffee cakes :)
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links