Purpose of stockpiling ammo? - Page 4

Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

This is a discussion on Purpose of stockpiling ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by smolck Just curious about this. Unless you live under a rock as a gun owner you likely realize that ammo is getting ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Just curious about this. Unless you live under a rock as a gun owner you likely realize that ammo is getting hard to find in most popular calibers. Lots of board members here and people I know are stockpiling thousands of rounds. I am just curious as to why people are doing this? I mean, if they outlaw guns completely (not gonna happen.......yet) then you will be forced to either break the law or hand in your weapons and ammo. So what other reason would people have to store up 1000 rounds. I mean, you aren't going to stave off military action against yourself with 1000 rounds of 9mm handgun ammo are you?

Don't get me wrong, I have a small stash for myself. But I want to go to the range dang it, and it is hard to do without ammo. If everyone would stop buying so much, maybe I could get in my weekly 100 rounds at my range........

Thoughts?
    One of the most sensible threads I have read so far. I guess some ppl think if they have a certain number of rounds that they are gonna keep the gov't from taking their whatever, If they send the military after you I promise no one will be able to stand up do that, some fools have even put videos on the net stating "they will start shooting ppl" Well, go ahead and see what happens.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What gets me is the majority of folks scarfing up all the ammo probably aren't regular shooters, only those afraid they might miss out on something. The Keeping-up-with-the-Jones effect. I may have about 1000 rounds of ammo in various calibers, mostly reloads, more than enough for my purposes as I can't get out to shoot as often as I'd like.
    Tally XD and Sig35seven like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I shoot a lot more than that, and have no desire to take up re-loading.
    If I have free time, I'm going down the road 10 minutes to the gravel pit and doing some drills, not sitting around reloading. Before all the idiots started panic buying, 9mm could be had online in bulk pretty darn cheap. The super uber serious reloaders I know all say it's no longer the great savings it use to be.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Because I want to and don't need any other reason.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The "savings" is a relative term. I don't reload a lot compared to others, so I don't buy in bulk. I buy a few hundred primers, a LB of powder, 500 cast bullets, etc., and I load a box of pistol rounds for about $9, regardless of caliber. Big savings over 9mm (befoere the latest craziness)? Not really. Much better on the .45 ACP, my costs still @$9. The investment in equipment pays for itself fairly quickly, depending on rounds produced, etc. I still crank 'em out on my single-stage press. those who fire 100s-100s a month would certainly want to consider the more expensive but faster progressives. I enjoy the reloading as much as I enjoy the shooting.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Im a guilty one I have been buying a box or two every week for the last year or so in various calibers , background I usually shoot 250 rounds or more once or twice a month and always buy what I shoot on range day went to buy ammo for range trip and couldn't find 1 solo box in 380, 9mm, 40 or 45 so panicsettled in and I made an emergency carry box with over 1, 000 rounds did an inventory and found out i hab no spare 380 been looking for it evrday found it today and bought all they would allow me to have 250 rounds at a 4 dollar per box increase and return tomorrow always want enough on hand tobeable to go to the range and not run out at home ammo keeps going up I wish I would have bought 4 extra per week
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If people, who shoot regularly, would buy smaller amounts every week instead of huge amounts every week, and if those that don't buy anything, until its time to go to the range, then there wouldn't be a shortage.

Sudden demand taxes the ammo manufacturers and component suppliers, back orders stack up, it drives up the prices for everyone and creates an emergency crisis ammo shortage.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Also, a lot of people are grabbing all the ammo so they can stick it to those, who don't have any, with super high prices.

I will do without before I pay their price.

I have all I need. I will not store more than I can carry with me.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Purchasing ammo in bulk such as 500rounds of .45acp and 1,000 rounds of .40sw and 9mm is good for a couple reasons. First, the price per box is typically less if you buy the case. Second, ammo prices aren't going down and ammo is hard to find as it is. So if it is possible to just buy 1000 now, I would do that. Third, some training courses require you to shoot 500-750 rounds so you need a lot to begin with. Lastly, if ammo is hard to find I want to know that I have enough to go to the range and not be told "sorry we don't have any of that caliber".

I used to shoot a lot. Now I don't shoot so much. Mostly because I am afraid to dry up my supply and not be able to find any at the store. I cut back significantly. When I can I do buy a couple boxes of this or that. Like this past weekend I found some .40sw at BassPro so I went ahead and grabbed two while I was there. 9mm was gone and .45acp was there. It just happens that I found a couple boxes of .45acp hanging around in Walmart so I picked them up the day prior.

I figure I have enough so that if I can find nothing I can still go to the range each month and have enough for a while and replenish when things settle but I will try to replenish here or there as I can. Most bulk supplies are gone and you have to buy smaller amounts anyway right now.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Well I stashed a bunch back prior to BHO taking the throne.
    Ammo was quite a bit cheaper then, and thinking about what was to happen, (with the wife's encouragement) I loaded up...I mean, I really loaded up.

Skip two years when I took a point shooting class...1400 rounds of .45 in two days, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Today that ammo cost would probably be 3-4 times the price of the class.

I still have one box left, yep, after the big fire, that's all I could find.
    aus71383 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm waiting on two shipments of ammo - one that should be here in a couple days, the other should be here in a week or two. When I get that, we'll have about 2k rounds for my .40, 1600 rounds for the 9mm, and 250 shells for the shotguns.

Is that stockpiling? Well, by buying it like that I've saved anywhere from 5 to 10 cents a round over what I'd pay at the range. At 2000 rounds, that's a hundred to two hundred dollars I've saved. Makes sense to me.

Second, there's the idea that congress can place a tax on rounds in order to fund "gun crime." If they do, how much would that tax be? A dollar a box? It's a nifty little way of not violating 2A by the letter, while still invoking "Gun control." I prefer to by my practice rounds before anything like that could happen as well.

Last, my wife and I shoot every week. We shoot about 200 rounds plus some shotgun shells. That means we go through a little under 1000 rounds a month. When I buy meat or paper products or whatever else, I like to shop monthly. It seems to be about the same thing here.

So, less hassle plus more savings - not sure that = stockpiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I'm waiting on two shipments of ammo - one that should be here in a couple days, the other should be here in a week or two. When I get that, we'll have about 2k rounds for my .40, 1600k rounds for the 9mm, and 250 shells for the shotguns.

Is that stockpiling? Well, by buying it like that I've saved anywhere from 5 to 10 cents a round over what I'd pay at the range. At 2000 rounds, that's a hundred to two hundred dollars I've saved. Makes sense to me.

Second, there's the idea that congress can place a tax on rounds in order to fund "gun crime." If they do, how much would that tax be? A dollar a box? It's a nifty little way of not violating 2A by the letter, while still invoking "Gun control." I prefer to by my practice rounds before anything like that could happen as well.

Last, my wife and I shoot every week. We shoot about 200 rounds plus some shotgun shells. That means we go through a little under 1000 rounds a month. When I buy meat or paper products or whatever else, I like to shop monthly. It seems to be about the same thing here.

So, less hassle plus more savings - not sure that = stockpiling.
    That's 16,000 rounds? or a typo?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I like to think of it as a par level of inventory. I shoot (or at least, used to shoot) 5,000 - 8,000 rounds per year. I have many calibers, and like to keep a base inventory of 1,000 rounds of each caliber of carry gun. To me, that's not much at all. Kind of a bare minimum really. I would also immediately get back to that point right after going to the range. My last range trip was Thanksgiving and I went through 750 rounds...and that was all 40, 9, and 45. Wish I had that back now...
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Re: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

did someone say 1K rounds was a lot?

C'mon, that's easy to burn up. I'd say 10K of any one caliber a minimum inventory. To bad I can't afford to do it like that.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If you look at it in economic terms, you consider alternative uses for your money (current interest rates, stock returns, etc.) and or utility (groceries)....so if you stocked up a lot when 9 MM was $100 per 1,000 or 7.62 X 39 $175, etc. etc. a few years back, well...........you might have done well compared to stockpiling now. Now........well, it's a different equation, but I do not see prices so elevated for too long. I do doubt they'll go back where they were though.

Inflation is not good.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links