Purpose of stockpiling ammo? - Page 5

Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

This is a discussion on Purpose of stockpiling ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by cmdrdredd That's 16,000 rounds? or a typo? Oops. Yeah, a bit of a typo there. 1600 rounds....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    That's 16,000 rounds? or a typo?
    Oops. Yeah, a bit of a typo there. 1600 rounds.

I have 70,000 rounds of various calibers. 25,000 are .22lr up to 10,000 7.62x39. I had an awakening last year and got serious about my ability to protect my family and not rely on the government. Last year I spent over $30,000 on guns and ammo with another $10,000 in food/water stores and hardening my home to entry. I empty most of my savings out and feel good about it. Why.....

The dollar is and will continue to devalue. Even IF there are no increased restrictions on ammo inflation alone will cause it's price to rise. As our economy continues to get worse and more criminals are let out of jail/prison we will be dealing with them. Half the country's population quality of life is dependent upon entitlements from the government. In my state of CA its soon to look like Greece with rioting on the streets. Those are ecomonic reasons that lead my decision making process.

Look to natural disasters like Katrina. I want to be able to protect me and mine. CA is ripe for a big earthquake. Supply chains for food/water/and power could be disrupted for long periods of time with areas to large for the government to offer help or protection. Look to where you live I bet you are susceptible to some sort of natural disaster as well.

Firearms are useless without ammo. I'd rather have a baseball bat than a $3000 AR-15 without ammo. The govenmrnt will try to controll guns through ammo. The way I see it if I don't use my ammo in my lifetime it will be the best gift I could pass on to my children to protect thier family's in the future.

I could have bought a car with the ca$h I spent on preps but I feel good about my decision and am fine driving my 12 y/o Saturn that requires liability insurance only. I don't leed a flashy materialistic life but security make me feel good. Stockpiling gives me security. Know guns,know safety,Know peace. No ammo,no saftey,no peace.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    .... Lots of board members here and people I know are stockpiling thousands of rounds. I am just curious as to why people are doing this? I mean, if they outlaw guns completely (not gonna happen.......yet) then you will be forced to either break the law or hand in your weapons and ammo..... So what other reason would people have to store up 1000 rounds. I mean, you aren't going to stave off military action against yourself with 1000 rounds of 9mm handgun ammo are you?

Don't get me wrong, I have a small stash for myself. But I want to go to the range dang it, and it is hard to do without ammo. If everyone would stop buying so much, maybe I could get in my weekly 100 rounds at my range........

Thoughts?
    I didn't read the 5 pages of thread so far...just replying to the OP.

1000 rounds is not a stockpile. If you can (responsibly) afford to buy it in a month, it's not a stockpile. A stockpile is a "lifetime supply" or a "worst case scenario" supply. Buy it cheap and stack it deep....

If you plan on shooting 100 rounds a week, and you don't reload - it makes sense to save up some money, and buy a few thousand rounds at a discounted price. Then you are set for years. Ammo prices don't really go down - so buying in bulk and planning ahead is just being smart.

As for "staving off a military action" with 1000 rds of 9mm - there's no way to know that. A single bullet at the right time can change the course of history - but then again, so can a single word, or the presence of a person in protest, etc...

It's clear you have no ammo and want to go shooting. Think of all the money you're saving. Put that money somewhere in the "for ammo" section of your accounts, and wait. Dry fire a bit, practice your draw, read a book, go for a walk...in a couple months, ammo will be back.

Austin

Re: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

I didn't read all pages myself, but there's more to it than gun confiscations. If EPA gets their way, we won't be able to buy lead bullets anymore.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

This really bums us out that we can't find ammo! DD shoots every weekend with her .22 pistol and rifle. While we keep a small cache on hand. I pick up ammo every few weeks and now its starting to be a major pain for us!

Stockpiling LOTS of things... not just ammo.
    BUT... some day, ammo will be a GREAT bartering item. You know what they say...
    "lead is worth its weight in gold when you have nothing with which to protect your silver."

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Which is exactly why? So you can practice or so you can hoard? Not trying to be a butt by the way, just trying to grasp this concept of needing so much ammo. I still am unconvinced I need 1000 rounds or 10,000 rounds. I mean, the SD ammo in my carry gun has been in there for some time. I don't HAVE to shoot if the supply runs empty. Just need enough for SD until more becomes available (anyone understand my logic?)
    I've been lurking here for few months and have to register to answer your response.

I'm fairly new to gun ownership and just recently started to buy guns and ammo early last year. Always wanted one but is fairly expensive hobby to get into. Inital high cost of the gun, continued maintaince, training and cost of ammo. One of my friends finally convinced me after going with him out to the range. After that.... few handguns and long black rifle and good stock of ammo, Im pretty happy guy. Good enough ammo to last me 1-3 yrs depending on caliber and going out to the range once a month.

My friend who owns a few handguns, do what many of you do. Go to the nearest Academy or Walmart and pick up ammo for that day at the range. He didn't quite understand why I bought large quanities of ammo per caliber. Term some people referring it to "hoarding" or "stockpiling".

I'm usually smart with my money and do my homework before I buy something that cost alot. First things I know as a fact that everyone will agree on. American dollar continues to devalue and will continue cost more for everyday items such as gas, food, milk, metals, labor, etc. You see it everyday. Portions of food getting smaller while the prices stay the same or get higher. i.e. cereal, snacks. I'm sure alot have experienced the Ammo shortage of 2008 and now. Prices tend to skyrocked fast but slow to go down. When I started to purchase my ammos in early 2012, I was able to get 100 rds of 9mm reloads for 16 each. Doing a quick search, now its at 100rds for 30 each. Hell, I frequent another forum where guys are still using 7.62 ammo that they purchased decade ago for 80 bucks per 1k rds. I just purchased some on sportsman guide for 205 to 220 shipped per 1k 7.62 rds. Walmart prices pre-shortage was 269 per 1k with taxes. Now? 300 to 400 easy.

Buying large amounts of ammo is the same thing as your wife does when she finds toliet paper on sale. Buy in bulk so she can save money, don't have to waste gas every time the toliet paper runs out and less affected by seesawing affect of shortage/days of plenty.

My friend finally understands now after going to 3 walmarts and 2 Academys with nothing for show for it in this hectic environment. Im sure everyone loves to save money since our paycheck is worth less and less every yr. Going out to the range tomorrow with that same buddy of mine, barely fazed by the ammo shortage and know that the range won't be packed. Will still sell some of my ammo to him at pre-crazed prices. lol

Same concept applied during Sandy Hurricaine. Shelves easily emptied during the pending crisis and everything skyrocked. Smart ones bought in bulk when it was on sale and bought a generator during the off season. Now sat in comfy as the storms roared in.

I do the same for christmas presents. Keep my eyes open for sales throughout the year instead of wasting my time on long lines, rude people, potentially spending higher prices during the peak christmas season, potential headache of soldout stocks and worry.

Here is a good thing to ponder on.

This shortage of everything of AR15, AKs, guns, shotguns, ammo of all calibers, magazines, optics, etc........ happened right there like a week before christmas. Sold out in 3 days. Not in the middle of summer or spring when nothing is going on. Month where money are stretched, credit cards maxed, or rent money used to buy christmas presents. Where that money come from especially when we are still at a recession and many "supposively" live paycheck to paycheck? This buying spree cannot go on forever. Sooner or later, the supply will catch up and people will run out of money.
    aus71383 likes this.

VIP Member
    Even before the latest rush I kept about 1500 rounds of 9mm, .40, .45, 9 Mak and 7.62 on hand. When I run across ammo and the price is right, I pick more up. Never know when the supply will be available again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've always shot through my ammo as fast as I bought it. You'd find me every Monday at the range and it was rare for me to go through less than 200 rounds a week. I tried to grab an extra box or two when at Walmart, up but if I had it, I shot it. Lol no self restraint. I kept telling hubby I wanted to go to a gun show and buy in bulk but never did. Now I haven't been to the range in a month, ammo's too hard to find and the range is packed!

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Ok, gonna say I could see having stashes of ammo that I don't ever plan on shooting for range trips. I could see having them just for the highly unlikely event that tommorow, or any day, life as we know it could be totally different. I just feel that in any situation like that, the last thing I would ever think is "oh, why do I have so much extra ammo?" I have a feeling it would be quite the opposite.

Most importantly, I (would) have it because I CAN.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I stockpiled last time the scare happened. I bought enough to shoot my hunting rifles and shotguns for a few hunting seasons. Didn't get to hunt as much as I liked so I still have quite a bit left.

Besides the guy with 70k rounds I have more ammo saved than anybody else listed so far. Why? One, I just feel better. It's like an insurance policy. Two, the value of ammo isn't going down. I can either shoot it, sell it or barter with it. Three, I can share it if things ever get really bad. I have concern for more people than just my family. Fourth, I like looking at it!

You should stockpile anything you can of value or use in the case of an emergency. I promise you that is SHTF, you will want more than 100 rounds. Just do what you can afford and what makes you feel good. There is no wrong answer.

All of you who are storing your ammo for the long haul... do you vacuum seal it? How do you store it?
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

I don't stockpile ammo. I would like to but it's not in the budget. I have some ammo for all the guns I own.

So I know what your saying OP I use to wonder how people could buy a lot of ammo in bulk and store it away but at the same time guns are a hobby and with any hobby you want to have extra on hand of the things you use most. In this case it's ammo.

I use to build/mod R/C hobby cars so I always kept a toolbox full of extra parts because I knew those parts would break, or wear down, so in a way I was stockpiling parts because at certain times it was hard to find what I needed when I needed it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links