Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

This is a discussion on Purpose of stockpiling ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TheConcealer All of you who are storing your ammo for the long haul... do you vacuum seal it? How do you store ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    All of you who are storing your ammo for the long haul... do you vacuum seal it? How do you store it?
    Read this, will answer a lot of storage questions and myths:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ammunition.pdf
    aus71383 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    If people, who shoot regularly, would buy smaller amounts every week instead of huge amounts every week, and if those that don't buy anything, until its time to go to the range, then there wouldn't be a shortage.
    Sounds good Comrade! Seriously though, why should I change my buying habits so other people who waited till a crisis happened to buy ammo can have some too? You have a disparaging Obama quote in your signature but your post sounds a lot like the spread the wealth redistribution fairness crap that comes from Zero and his followers.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Yep, getting my share of 223, 762x39 and 40 S&W just to feel good. It has all but vaporized in Florida. Most smaller gunshops have gone to reman which shoots fine IMHo

I store ammo in ammo cans with desiccant. I like the small sized cans best - they get heavy if you use the .50 cal or bigger ones.

Austin

I only read the first page of response so,,

I only read the first page of responses but one of the internet rumors going around is that the administration will propose a 50% tax on ammo. That means my $18 box of ammo will now cost me $27 dollars after taxes instead of 19.08 after taxes like it does now.

That plus the fact that there will most likely be an across the board increase in ammo in general means its likely to be more like $30 a box out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    ... people I know are stockpiling thousands of rounds. I am just curious as to why people are doing this?
    To avoid situations like the anti-2A furor going on right now, for one, in which ammo purchases are likely to be tracked in some places (ie, NY), certainly tough/expensive to come by in others.
    soonershoote likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A read a few responses on here that were a little hostile. Please, calm down people. I wasn't saying those who have lots of ammo on hand are bad, I have no problem with it. I used the words "stockpile" and "hoard" and perhaps those were poor choices of words. But hey, isn't a new topic to discuss a little better than the usual? No offense meant to anyone if you somehow took any of my comments that way, was not my intent. I have since reading this thread added a few hundred rounds extra. Not really sure why, I will likely end up just shooting it all at the range. Like another mentioned, I have no self control!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I reload. For one I can custom tailor loads that my guns & I shoot best. For another I have 5 cents in a 9mm per round and 6.5 cents per 45 colt. 308 runs about 12 cents.
    I have been slowly building my stock of supplies over the last few months. Like Smolck I have to budget my shooting supplies. The nicest thing about reloading is that I do have close to 1000 9m on hand and the supplies to reload them. Same with my 45 colt although I dont have quite as many on hand. Probably 200 308 and I dont shoot it that often so I am good on it. Stockpile is relative to the shooter but I think a lot of people are going to curtail their range trips and limit the rounds downrange while they are there.
    I am going to keep on stocking up on primers and powder until I think I have enough or they tax the crap out of it. Un assembled rounds cant actually count as ammo if it comes to the nut cutting. I can run off a few hundred to keep on hand in an evening them break down my bench and store my supplies and no one would be the wiser. If this gets nasty I want to fly under the radar. Without ammo a gun is just an expensive club.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

I usually keep around 200-400 rounds of 9mm SD, and 800-1200 9mm fmj. Wife usually keeps 150-250 .38 sd and 400-600 .38 fmj.

Today the LGS started a two box limit on any caliber ammo purchased.

I bought 2 boxes 9mm Federal target (50 rounds each) for $ 16.95 each box, and 2 boxes .38 Hornady Critical Defense (25 rounds each) for $24.95 each box
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

I buy in bulk and stockpile because I like to shoot a lot. I don't want to have to run to the gun shop every time I want to go to the range. Plus, I buy when I have extra money. For me, its better to spend 500 bucks now, when I have it to spare, then try to squeeze a hundred or more out of a paycheck I can't afford cut short.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Plus, a fully stocked gun safe looks way better than 1 puny .380 and a couple boxes of ammo. Thats just depressing.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I buy ammo because I presently have the right, the funds, to support my stockpile of guns, but most of all i have the right to do so without question. As far as storage of my "stockpile" I have ammo that was manufactured in the 1950's stored in the original boxes on open shelves in my fathers garage for over twenty years. I now have that ammo and the few rounds that I have fired shoots as new, but is now stored in ammo cans along with my stockpile.
    Why did I start stockpiling back in the 70's? First, it was to have ammo readily available to support my hunting and range needs. Second, it was to capitalize on sales, cheaper by the bulk lot. Third, because of escalating prices. Fourth, because of Clinton's gun ban. Fifth, because of the known intent of Obama to place a ban on weapons starting in 2008.
    Do I buy ammo today? No! I believe I have a sufficient amount.

There is a side to Obama's continued attack on our rights, it has driven panic buying that has depleted present inventories, drives prices up, but most of all it restricts the purchase by the majority of low income citizens. This works in favor of Obama, only a few with large amounts of ammo but the majority with little or none.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I only have 400 rounds of ammo in my drawer. Never again. As soon as I can find 9mm I'm hoarding, no lie. Fortunately 357 has been easy to find so I can still shoot that caliber. But my wallet likes me to mainly use my 9...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    The right to own firearms is protected by the 2A. The right buy ammo, I don't know.
    Firearms are not when deprived of ammo, ammo is part of the firearm within the meaning of the second amendment.
    NRA Life Member

I just received 2000 9MM 115GR bullets for reloading from Cabellas. This was the only place late last week after an hour search online that I was able to find 9MM projectiles. All my other sources had dried up. I had just done an inventory of all of my components and determined that I needed powder and lead. Got the powder over the weekend (only $2 more than I ever paid for it) and today the lead arrived. I will also be alternating which ammo I take to the range to shoot so I do not shoot up all the 9MM and have none left. I have a selection of 4 pistol calibers from which to shoot so I should be good for quite a while. I have been reloading since the early 1970's.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links