Defensive Carry banner

Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

16K views 109 replies 74 participants last post by  cmdrdredd 
#1 ·
Just curious about this. Unless you live under a rock as a gun owner you likely realize that ammo is getting hard to find in most popular calibers. Lots of board members here and people I know are stockpiling thousands of rounds. I am just curious as to why people are doing this? I mean, if they outlaw guns completely (not gonna happen.......yet) then you will be forced to either break the law or hand in your weapons and ammo. So what other reason would people have to store up 1000 rounds. I mean, you aren't going to stave off military action against yourself with 1000 rounds of 9mm handgun ammo are you?

Don't get me wrong, I have a small stash for myself. But I want to go to the range dang it, and it is hard to do without ammo. If everyone would stop buying so much, maybe I could get in my weekly 100 rounds at my range........

Thoughts?

Reactions: Mecread
#80 ·
I only read the first page of response so,,

I only read the first page of responses but one of the internet rumors going around is that the administration will propose a 50% tax on ammo. That means my $18 box of ammo will now cost me $27 dollars after taxes instead of 19.08 after taxes like it does now.

That plus the fact that there will most likely be an across the board increase in ammo in general means its likely to be more like $30 a box out the door.

#81 ·
... people I know are stockpiling thousands of rounds. I am just curious as to why people are doing this?
To avoid situations like the anti-2A furor going on right now, for one, in which ammo purchases are likely to be tracked in some places (ie, NY), certainly tough/expensive to come by in others.

#82 ·
A read a few responses on here that were a little hostile. Please, calm down people. I wasn't saying those who have lots of ammo on hand are bad, I have no problem with it. I used the words "stockpile" and "hoard" and perhaps those were poor choices of words. But hey, isn't a new topic to discuss a little better than the usual? No offense meant to anyone if you somehow took any of my comments that way, was not my intent. I have since reading this thread added a few hundred rounds extra. Not really sure why, I will likely end up just shooting it all at the range. Like another mentioned, I have no self control!

#83 ·
I reload. For one I can custom tailor loads that my guns & I shoot best. For another I have 5 cents in a 9mm per round and 6.5 cents per 45 colt. 308 runs about 12 cents.
I have been slowly building my stock of supplies over the last few months. Like Smolck I have to budget my shooting supplies. The nicest thing about reloading is that I do have close to 1000 9m on hand and the supplies to reload them. Same with my 45 colt although I dont have quite as many on hand. Probably 200 308 and I dont shoot it that often so I am good on it. Stockpile is relative to the shooter but I think a lot of people are going to curtail their range trips and limit the rounds downrange while they are there.
I am going to keep on stocking up on primers and powder until I think I have enough or they tax the crap out of it. Un assembled rounds cant actually count as ammo if it comes to the nut cutting. I can run off a few hundred to keep on hand in an evening them break down my bench and store my supplies and no one would be the wiser. If this gets nasty I want to fly under the radar. Without ammo a gun is just an expensive club.

#84 ·
I usually keep around 200-400 rounds of 9mm SD, and 800-1200 9mm fmj. Wife usually keeps 150-250 .38 sd and 400-600 .38 fmj.

Today the LGS started a two box limit on any caliber ammo purchased.

I bought 2 boxes 9mm Federal target (50 rounds each) for $ 16.95 each box, and 2 boxes .38 Hornady Critical Defense (25 rounds each) for $24.95 each box

#85 ·
I buy in bulk and stockpile because I like to shoot a lot. I don't want to have to run to the gun shop every time I want to go to the range. Plus, I buy when I have extra money. For me, its better to spend 500 bucks now, when I have it to spare, then try to squeeze a hundred or more out of a paycheck I can't afford cut short.

#86 ·
Plus, a fully stocked gun safe looks way better than 1 puny .380 and a couple boxes of ammo. Thats just depressing.

#87 ·
I buy ammo because I presently have the right, the funds, to support my stockpile of guns, but most of all i have the right to do so without question. As far as storage of my "stockpile" I have ammo that was manufactured in the 1950's stored in the original boxes on open shelves in my fathers garage for over twenty years. I now have that ammo and the few rounds that I have fired shoots as new, but is now stored in ammo cans along with my stockpile.
Why did I start stockpiling back in the 70's? First, it was to have ammo readily available to support my hunting and range needs. Second, it was to capitalize on sales, cheaper by the bulk lot. Third, because of escalating prices. Fourth, because of Clinton's gun ban. Fifth, because of the known intent of Obama to place a ban on weapons starting in 2008.
Do I buy ammo today? No! I believe I have a sufficient amount.

There is a side to Obama's continued attack on our rights, it has driven panic buying that has depleted present inventories, drives prices up, but most of all it restricts the purchase by the majority of low income citizens. This works in favor of Obama, only a few with large amounts of ammo but the majority with little or none.

#90 ·
I just received 2000 9MM 115GR bullets for reloading from Cabellas. This was the only place late last week after an hour search online that I was able to find 9MM projectiles. All my other sources had dried up. I had just done an inventory of all of my components and determined that I needed powder and lead. Got the powder over the weekend (only $2 more than I ever paid for it) and today the lead arrived. I will also be alternating which ammo I take to the range to shoot so I do not shoot up all the 9MM and have none left. I have a selection of 4 pistol calibers from which to shoot so I should be good for quite a while. I have been reloading since the early 1970's.

#91 ·
Just thought I'd share this. Went to Academy and wally world yesterday to buy some .40 S&W rounds. NONE on the shelves. So I went to my LGS, he had PLENTY of 40 S&W along with a decent amount of any other caliber. I didn't care for the $19 price for 50 rounds, but at least he had some. Hopefully the price gouging won't get too bad.

#92 ·
If it is my cash I buy what I want when I want. If it is my house I will stock pile what I want. What you may call a stock pile may may a weekend at the range to me.
What is it of anyone's concern what I buy or how much of it .
The supply's will all come back as soon as it all settles down. Obama is not going to restrict your rights in any way turn off fox news.
Remember he does not want to
Even if he wanted to he can't
And Congress won't allow it.

#93 ·
Wow, have a bad day did we? Did you bother to read any of my more recent posts? Calm down, it is a topic for discussion. You can keep the "I'll do what I want" for someone who is against your right to do so, of which I am not.

#95 ·
One more reason to "stockpile" would be so that if you live in a state like NY where they steamroll a new law restricting ammo purchases you won't get flagged for buying often or in large quantities because you already have it - you can just buy to replace what you shoot, which for most folks isn't all that much.

Austin

#98 ·
I stockpile ammo, just not what everyone else stockpiles. My stash is a few bulk boxes of .22 ammo every week. Say what you want but you can never have enough .22 ammo on hand. I'd rather have 15,000 rounds of .22 ammo than no ammo at all. When I find ammo for my 9mm I will pick it up as well, you never know when the well will run dry.

#99 ·
i stockpile ammo also. upto 415 40 cal bullets for my glock 23 and 200 12 gauge shells for my rem 870. i always wish i have an had more but i'm comfortable with what i got right now. i can protect my family and if needed be i can extend it out for a long time. shoot at what you can hit and shoot to kill!

#100 ·
Shhh! (Looks over both shoulders.) Don't bring this up until I close the deal on 2,000 rounds of .223 I bought back in 2011. I paid $580 for it, I'm selling it for $1,450.

#101 ·
If everyone would stop buying so much, maybe I could get in my weekly 100 rounds at my range........
If you had bought 200rds a week and saved that extra 100 you wouldn't be in a bind now.

I wouldn't call it stockpiling, I'd call it being able to shoot when you want without having to worry about ammo availability.

#103 ·
Just curious about this. Unless you live under a rock as a gun owner you likely realize that ammo is getting hard to find in most popular calibers. Lots of board members here and people I know are stockpiling thousands of rounds. I am just curious as to why people are doing this? I mean, if they outlaw guns completely (not gonna happen.......yet) then you will be forced to either break the law or hand in your weapons and ammo. So what other reason would people have to store up 1000 rounds. I mean, you aren't going to stave off military action against yourself with 1000 rounds of 9mm handgun ammo are you?

Don't get me wrong, I have a small stash for myself. But I want to go to the range dang it, and it is hard to do without ammo. If everyone would stop buying so much, maybe I could get in my weekly 100 rounds at my range........

Thoughts?
They will not ever ban ammo, but they will somehow find a way to make it so expensive , you will not like buying it anymore. It is really a matter of buying up ammo at current prices for me.

#105 ·
I look at my SD ammunition purchases as an investment! The SD ammunition I purchased last year has increased in value. My range ammunition is a write off for business as I'm a NRA firearm trainer. Since fire code allows 10,000 rounds per structure, I try to stay within the code.

#106 ·
Because the day before a snowstorm is not the day to buy kerosene/propane/gasoline. The same applies to ammo.

Because victory loves preparation.

Reactions: aus71383
#107 ·
I mean, you aren't going to stave off military action against yourself with 1000 rounds of 9mm handgun ammo are you?
If you are doing it with a handgun, you are destined to fail.

A handgun is the LAST thing you want to use in a fight.

I'd work on the proper mindset before I worried about ammo because all the ammo in the world isnt going to do you any good if you dont have the proper mindset.

#110 ·
Eh? The one with ammo can just go hunting.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.