Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

This is a discussion on Purpose of stockpiling ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious about this. Unless you live under a rock as a gun owner you likely realize that ammo is getting hard to find in ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

Purpose of stockpiling ammo?

Just curious about this. Unless you live under a rock as a gun owner you likely realize that ammo is getting hard to find in most popular calibers. Lots of board members here and people I know are stockpiling thousands of rounds. I am just curious as to why people are doing this? I mean, if they outlaw guns completely (not gonna happen.......yet) then you will be forced to either break the law or hand in your weapons and ammo. So what other reason would people have to store up 1000 rounds. I mean, you aren't going to stave off military action against yourself with 1000 rounds of 9mm handgun ammo are you?

Don't get me wrong, I have a small stash for myself. But I want to go to the range dang it, and it is hard to do without ammo. If everyone would stop buying so much, maybe I could get in my weekly 100 rounds at my range........

Thoughts?
    Mecread likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

2. Remove Ads

Certain kinds of ammo are being stockpiled because if certain kinds of guns are banned, finding the ammo will be very difficult. It's good to have a stash for when those times get tough. Stockpiling ammo in bulk now (or before prices sky rocketed) is also a good idea so that later on if/when prices are even higher, you'll already have a good amount.

Also, buying in bulk is just cheaper.
    aus71383 and crossfireltd like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

1,000 rounds of 9mm used to be an approximate $200 purchase, which might be enough for a month of practice. I keep more months worth of toilet paper. If the cost will rise over time greater than what a savings account will pay, and availability is questionable, it is a good investment. I would consider 20,000 rounds and up stockpiling.
    aus71383 and crossfireltd like this.

If you are shooting 100 rounds a week,, I'd consider RELOADING ; ) PS If not reloading by now ,,you are behind the eight ball so to speak..

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

"Stockpiling" and "1,000 rounds" are NOT synonymous!!!
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    If you are shooting 100 rounds a week,, I'd consider RELOADING ; ) PS If not reloading by now ,,you are behind the eight ball so to speak..

H/D
    I shoot a lot more than that, and have no desire to take up re-loading.
    bombthrower77 and PatAz like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    "Stockpiling" and "1,000 rounds" are NOT synonymous!!!
    I have more than that in each vehicle.
    Badey, BugDude, PAPADALE1 and 2 others like this.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post

H/D
    ^^^ What he said (but with better spelling) ^^^ Darn! He went back and edited his post.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    It's just panic more than anything else. People are buying firearms at a record pace, so obviously you gotta have bullets for those firearms. Now add all the guys that aren't panic buying anything but are watching the ammo dry up; so now they have to stock up too.

Our economic model of supply and demand is usually a well balanced seesaw. When you get a rush of people to one side, it's easy to get totally off balance.
    tundra, OldVet, DubH00 and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

All the fear mongering have a buying frenzy going on. No different than any other frenzy through out history. Stock market, gas crisis in the late 70's or the best one was the 'Tulip' mania that occurred back in the 1600's.

Funny it is... people who talk about the 'sheep' are the ones who act the most like sheep.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Certain kinds of ammo are being stockpiled because if certain kinds of guns are banned
    I'm glad you mentioned that, and I can understand buying up .223 or .556. But why in the heck is there no 9mm or .45acp on the shelves? Handguns aren't under attack........YET!

As for stockpiling, I guess I consider 1000 rounds to be a stockpile. I have a monthly budget (4 kids, 1 wife, 1 meger income) and cannot afford to spend $250 a pop on ammo. My $50 weekly budget (total cost for 100 rounds of .40 and range time/targets) is about all I can swing.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would need a 1000 rounds of handgun ammo. I mean, I always keep a few mags full of my SD ammo for home/personal defense and then just buy and shoot range ammo as needed. Never really felt the need to buy "stores". So why do you all keep 1000 rounds in your cars or houses? For a war? (not being funny, trying to make up my mind if I am missing something and need to devote some money to adding more ammo to my cache)
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

Funny it is... people who talk about the 'sheep' are the ones who act the most like sheep.
    Yup, the only difference between a flock and a panicked herd is about fifteen miles per hour.
    Sig35seven, afojc and aus71383 like this.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    All the fear mongering have a buying frenzy going on. No different than any other frenzy through out history. Stock market, gas crisis in the late 70's or the best one was the 'Tulip' mania that occurred back in the 1600's.

With Biden's "task force", talks of executive orders to carry out restrictions, an administrative mission to re-instate an "assault" weapons ban, bills being proposed left and right from people like Fienstien, and shooting incidents from mad men being used as scapegoats for more restrictions and a full-on national registration ...you think people are panicking like sheep?

The right to own firearms is protected by the 2A. The right buy ammo, I don't know.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

IMO, the purpose depends on the goals of the person in question.

For myself, "stockpiling" is merely a bad-dog euphemism for having enough on-hand in case of the supply pipeline either drying up or getting so expensive it's irrelevant. How much is enough is a judgment call, based on many factors and perceptions, many of which are outside of my control.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links