Upcoming C&R fun

Upcoming C&R fun

This is a discussion on Upcoming C&R fun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sunday am off to a shoot, run partly for folks from Fal-Files - only about 30 miles away. Guy who organizes these does two or ...

Thread: Upcoming C&R fun

Assistant Administrator

Upcoming C&R fun

Sunday am off to a shoot, run partly for folks from Fal-Files - only about 30 miles away. Guy who organizes these does two or three a year and has about 75 acres, including a 600 yard steel plate - nice challenge that is.

I shall as ever take L1A1 and FAL but will bet I burn up most ammo thru two of my favorite C&R's. The Turk Mauser in its fugly ATI furniture (based IIRC on the Steyr shape) shoots very well and I have boatloads of 8mm surplus - it's corrosive of course so - shoot one round - shoot 200 - cleaning's the same LOL!

Then there is the old MkV Enfield Jungle carbine - that too will get to use up some of my mountain of .303 milsurp. Same deal re cleaning of course.

Might at last too - long overdue - set up a test for the Bersa UC9 I got from dr_cmg!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Nice....

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Sunday am off to a shoot, run partly for folks from Fal-Files - only about 30 miles away. Guy who organizes these does two or three a year and has about 75 acres, including a 600 yard steel plate - nice challenge that is.

I shall as ever take L1A1 and FAL but will bet I burn up most ammo thru two of my favorite C&R's. The Turk Mauser in its fugly ATI furniture (based IIRC on the Steyr shape) shoots very well and I have boatloads of 8mm surplus - it's corrosive of course so - shoot one round - shoot 200 - cleaning's the same LOL!

Then there is the old MkV Enfield Jungle carbine - that too will get to use up some of my mountain of .303 milsurp. Same deal re cleaning of course.

Might at last too - long overdue - set up a test for the Bersa UC9 I got from dr_cmg!

Love those Enfields. It was the first real rifle I handled back in the day, Nearly picked up a No 5 at the gun show last weekend, but they only had a couple and they weren't great. Not $375 great, thats for sure. Ended up with a very nice Fazzy No 4.
    Last edited by Fragman; October 21st, 2006 at 11:46 AM. Reason: removed images for readability

Assistant Administrator
    Hmm - $375 is quite high unless a clean and nice specimen. Forget what I paid for mine - probably in region of $225 three years ago. Recoil is a bit strong - thus my recoil pad - with that I can plink all day

MkIV's are nice too and I still keep looking for a target version of that with Parker Hale aperture sights. I used to shoot with that spec' of gun back in early 60's at Bisley, UK.
    Chris - P95

Man, those that Mk5 bring back some memories. Many years ago I bought one as a young teen. It was my first rifle bigger than a .22! Seeing that recoil pad made me think you had mine but then I know my brother in law still has it. That beast can be a bit "sharp" on recoil can't it! Taught me alot about shooting back then. Even handloaded for it.

As a side note did you know that that rifle won a military test for the fastest bolt action? Just after WW2 the British military was testing all the bolt actions it could find for sustainable fire rates compared to semi auto fire. Seems the jungle carbine in trained hands could compete favorably with a semi auto against a man sized target at something like 100 meters. I remember reading the technique and practicing with it and got pretty good at "flicking" the bolt while barely moving my head at all.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - the Enfield bolt is, well for me anyways, the fastest I have found.

By comparison I find the Mauser style bolt too ''sloppy'' to manage a real slick operation every time - the closing is not fast and fluid like Enfield.
    Chris - P95

Yes, they are really fast bolt actions. Even with reloading, they can do up to 30 aimed shots a minute apparently, in the hands of a trained user.

Links