Okay, here is the deal.

This is a discussion on Okay, here is the deal. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a parent of a college student,I understand the budget you face. All of the rifles Ive seen mentioned on the thread are great,but flying ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Okay, here is the deal.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    As a parent of a college student,I understand the budget you face. All of the rifles Ive seen mentioned on the thread are great,but flying under the radar price wise and is easy to make some cool conversions is the SKS. Some of the slightly higher models D or M actually take AK mags and are really sweet. I bought one recently and cost about a hundred bucks to deck it out

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    I could think of a few, but its more the ABILITY to do so, if the need ever arose.
    What are the few you can think of?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Engaging a hostile Chinese squad of paratroopers?

No offense but are my reasons that important? Why would any civilian need to own a .50 BMG rifle? I don't know, but I don't care, its their business and if they asked my advice i'd say I hear Barrett makes a great one!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are plenty of Colt LE6920 rifles that have sold recently on GunBroker and other auction/classifieds type sites, for not much more than in gun stores. Placing an order at a LGS is one way to go. Going after any one of the current no-reserve type auctions on GB or elsewhere is another. Depends on what your preference is, regarding waiting.

GunBroker recent auctions: Colt LE6920
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LMAO you might want to read the Item description it was a "stripped" lower receiver that sold for over $800.00 not a complete gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    Nothing wrong with a good deer rifle. A 30-30 or such would be pouts fine. Have you ever shot at 400 yards before? Honestly , it would be better to hide/bug out than expect to engage someone at this distance in most cases.
    Rollo and OD* like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Deer rifle is only going to have maybe 5 rounds though, seems a little debilitating?
    NRA

Engaging a hostile Chinese squad of paratroopers?

No offense but are my reasons that important? Why would any civilian need to own a .50 BMG rifle? I don't know, but I don't care, its their business and if they asked my advice i'd say I hear Barrett makes a great one!
    Because your reasons are putting a pretty tight constraint on your options when you consider all of your criteria. Would you rather have a rifle that your going to (over) pay 2 grand for and have the ability to engage a squad of Chinese paratroopers at 400 yards,or would you rather have a affordable and available long gun that does 95 percent of what a long gun should do, just minus the Chinese paratrooper engagement ability?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Honestly , it would be better to hide/bug out than expect to engage someone at this distance in most cases.
    That's pretty much what I am getting at. Survival in a situation like that is more about NOT getting into a fight. There's a reason the military teaches escape and evade.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Haha I will drop the Chinese paratrooper engagement ability... sorry.

Ruger Mini-30?
    NRA

Haha I will drop the Chinese paratrooper engagement ability... sorry.

Ruger Mini-30?
    Mini 30 is a good rifle but Ruger mags tend to be pretty pricey. I would REALLY consider a Pump action 12 gauge shotgun. Easy to pimp out, effective at close range with buckshot, effective at longer range with slugs. Able to take multiple types of game. The gun is readily available, unlikely to be the target of legislation and very affordable. And finally, ammo is readily available and reasonably priced. Even during the worst of the ammo crisis a few years ago I still found tons of 12 gauge ammo at just about every Walmart store in the area.

VIP Member
    Just something to consider. We all know if Obama gets his way, he'll ban all semi auto rifles, as well as "other than standard capacity" magazines. You might want to consider a lever action rifle, chambered in a pistol caliber. Since I already have several .357 revolvers, I'm looking at a lever action in .357. While not a 400 yd gun, it is good to go out to 100+ yards.
    Rollo and OD* like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks guys, that helps. Ruger Scout looks like it might be the ticket. .308 would be a nice round to get some more reach out of! A nice scope and bipod on the Scout and i'd have a tidy little setup.
    Make sure you know which it's specifically chambered for - .308 Win or 7.62x51. If it's stamped .308, you're good for either ammo. If it's chambered specifically for 7.62x51, don't shoot anything but 7.62x51 out of it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just something to consider. We all know if Obama gets his way, he'll ban all semi auto rifles, as well as "other than standard capacity" magazines. You might want to consider a lever action rifle, chambered in a pistol caliber. Since I already have several .357 revolvers, I'm looking at a lever action in .357. While not a 400 yd gun, it is good to go out to 100+ yards.
    Well I will never turn in any of my guns, so this is a non-issue.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Another excellent suggestion. The only downside is that .38/.357 and be a bit pricey and sometimes hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Make sure you know which it's specifically chambered for - .308 Win or 7.62x51. If it's stamped .308, you're good for either ammo. If it's chambered specifically for 7.62x51, don't shoot anything but 7.62x51 out of it.
    I wasn't aware the scout shot both. That kind of makes me want one...

VIP Member
    Friend you need to crap or get off the pot. If your local shop still has a mini 14 on the shelf you need to GET IT. You're still gonna be fighting to find ammo and mags after your initial purchase.

The longer you wait the further behind the 8 ball you're going to be.

I'll give you your two best options

1) The mini at your local shop. A bird in hand and all that.

2) Look at CDNN investments for a PTR 91 rifle. They still has some and they are over priced but they are solid and they shoot the full size 7.62X51 nato round (.308).

Running the PTR91 GI - YouTube

GET CRACKING or you'll be on the outside looking in.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links