Okay, here is the deal.

Okay, here is the deal.

This is a discussion on Okay, here is the deal. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need a little help. I'm a college student, 21, I own a 10/22 that I bought the day I turned 18 and an S&W ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Okay, here is the deal.

Unhappy Okay, here is the deal.

I need a little help.

I'm a college student, 21, I own a 10/22 that I bought the day I turned 18 and an S&W M&P Shield that I bought to carry when back in my home state, but these two firearms alone don't make me feel "prepared for anything." What I want is a decent rifle that will serve the purpose an AR-15 would. I know with the current political climate an AR-15 is nearly impossible to come by, and I have already written my representatives multiple times, and joined the NRA, trust me i'm in the fight. I know i'm ridiculously late to the game... but I can't help it.

So what should someone in my position do? I'd like something chambered in .223 or higher, preferably semi-auto, that I can customize to be effective at medium to long range (out to maybe 400yds). I have spent a little time looking at different AR-15 builds, but I really feel helpless in getting my hands on anything like that. The M1A comes to mind, but I am really lost in a sea of confusion and lack of supply as to which direction to go.

My LGS had a used Ruger Mini-14 in stock the other day, should I just be watching like a hawk trying to pick up whatever I can get my hands on? Would it be worth it to place an order for a Colt LE6920 or something similar and just wait? HELP!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Ruger Mini-14 is where Id go.. before you cant get those either.

Can't go wrong with the Ruger. It will give you the peace of mind you're looking for, and you can buy an AR later, when this craziness is over. I'd also look at the new Ruger Scout (Gunsite). It's not semi auto, which means you should be able to find it, and it's an awesome little package. Chambered for the 7.62 (.308 round), magazine fed.

I'd get one of these, even if I had a couple of AR's.

Good luck & be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Thanks guys, that helps. Ruger Scout looks like it might be the ticket. .308 would be a nice round to get some more reach out of! A nice scope and bipod on the Scout and i'd have a tidy little setup.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Would it be worth it to place an order for a Colt LE6920 or something similar and just wait?
    There are plenty of Colt LE6920 rifles that have sold recently on GunBroker and other auction/classifieds type sites, for not much more than in gun stores. Placing an order at a LGS is one way to go. Going after any one of the current no-reserve type auctions on GB or elsewhere is another. Depends on what your preference is, regarding waiting.

GunBroker recent auctions: Colt LE6920
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 15th, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Was doing some research on the Scout, looks not half bad but I have read some complaints about the accuracy? Are there any other good magazine fed bolt actions, or semi-auto that could be a longer distance tool?
    NRA

I think you need to explain what you mean by "decent rifle that will serve the purpose an AR-15 would" a bit more. Are you talking strictly semi auto? If so, why? Do you mean survival rifle? If so, I think there are far better options. Are you talking defensive scenario as a breakdown in society? If so, I think there are far better options. I own both an AR-15 and a AK-47 and I can honestly say that given the second to scenarios I listed, the AR or AK would not be my first choice for either of them.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    If you're looking at a heavier caliber the M1A is where the search begins and ends in my mind.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Alright let me clarify a tad here...

Exactly, breakdown of society, political unrest, survival rifle, etc. My preference would be semi-auto, but I know they might be hard to get a hold of today, so bolt is an option. Another preference is some pretty good accuracy out to about 400 yards. Other than that, a readily available caliber is the only other necessary trait.

Hopefully this helps.
    NRA

VIP Member
    Honestly, based on what you just wrote I'd look for an AR as my first choice. A Mini would be good for most of what you are talking about but I never achieved an accuracy at X hundred yards that I would consider acceptable for hunting or anything else where one shot had to count. Around a hundred, yeah, it's fine for SD, HD or a zombie attack though.

Personally I wouldn't consider a bolt action until/unless those become your only choices. The current hysteria may make finding one difficult but any AWB will probably be a long, hard fight (unless he shrugs off the Constitution altogether) so you could still get an order in somewhere and actually get something.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd focus on the things that are sure to become targets of the Anti's now; you can always fall back and punt on something else at a later date.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Good strategy there. Disgusting to think we would ever have to "fall back" but it seems incredibly likely now.

Since I was partial to an AR before I started this thread, and my knowledge of AR's at the moment is limited, what's a solid platform that will be reliable and accurate?
    NRA

VIP Member
    Honestly, I don't know what you should stay away from, but I think any of the usual suspects would be good to go, and I say this because pickings will be slim with everything so I don't think you can honestly afford to be choosy. Colt, PSA, Spikes, S&W, Core-15, BMC... There's a ton of decent to good to great builds out there. Finding them is going to be the issue.

The thing to remember about the AR is changing individual components is fairly easy, so even if something fails, replacing it isn't necessarily going to mean sending it back to the manufacturer or anything extreme.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Alright let me clarify a tad here...

Exactly, breakdown of society, political unrest, survival rifle, etc. My preference would be semi-auto, but I know they might be hard to get a hold of today, so bolt is an option. Another preference is some pretty good accuracy out to about 400 yards. Other than that, a readily available caliber is the only other necessary trait.

Hopefully this helps.
    What situation do you honestly see yourself needing to shoot at something at 400 yards?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

...might be of some use to you...if it's not too late
    Springfield Armory M1A Bush Rifle, 308, 18'' Barrel, Used.

I could think of a few, but its more the ABILITY to do so, if the need ever arose.
    NRA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links