7 round mag limits in NY

This is a discussion on 7 round mag limits in NY within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IANAL, but isn't making a law retroactive called ex post facto? And isn't that illegal? Is there any legal possibility of overturning such a law? ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: 7 round mag limits in NY

Re: 7 round mag limits in NY

IANAL, but isn't making a law retroactive called ex post facto? And isn't that illegal?

Is there any legal possibility of overturning such a law?

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    HotGuns likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    They must be sold or turned in within a year.
    Hm. And I wonder where all those sales are going to end up ... like as not, into the hands of those willing to retain them after the ban (ie, criminals, and likely some "statutory" criminals as well).

Ironic result for such a law: to arm criminals directly, as a nice little side benefit. Let alone the inevitable fact that criminals, then, will be better-armed than upstanding citizens. Unintended consequences, indeed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

With no grandfathering, does that mean an ample supply of 8+ rd magazines for sale coming soon?

VIP Member
    To the good people of New York: Instead of selling your guns to comply with state laws that obviously infringe upon your Second Amendment right, I humbly suggest that you sell your homes and relocate yourselves and your businesses to any other state that stands up for your Second Amendment rights.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

"In the United States, the Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution. The states are prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 1 of Article I, Section 10. This is one of the relatively few restrictions that the United States Constitution made to both the power of the federal and state governments before the Fourteenth Amendment."
    Last edited by Harvester; January 15th, 2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Because I can!!
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Molon Labe

AOK
    I'm starting to despise NY. They will never get a dime of my discretionary income used for vacationing. Regardless the bill still has to pass through the house before it gets to the governors desk.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Well, the senate was made up mostly of Republicans, and the house is a Dumbocrat majority so... looks like it will probably pass.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

New York Limits Capacity to 7 - no Grandfathering

I hate New York. Feel sorry for anyone that has to put up with this nonsense and I hope this gets challenged and overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    To the good people of New York: Instead of selling your guns to comply with state laws that obviously infringe upon your Second Amendment right, I humbly suggest that you sell your homes and relocate yourselves and your businesses to any other state that stands up for your Second Amendment rights.
    Who the heck wants to buy a home in NY??? But hey, there may possibly be a silver lining. All of the bleeding hearts that believe these restrictions will make them safer can move to New York. The rest of the country can remain free and hoard all of these weapons and mags.

New York gun lovers are screwed. Plain and simple.
    TX expat and CharlesMorri like this.

i feel sorry for the people who live in NY. NY has now been added to my ban list (didn't really have a reason to go before anyways).
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Who the heck wants to buy a home in NY??? But hey, there may possibly be a silver lining. All of the bleeding hearts that believe these restrictions will make them safer can move to New York. The rest of the country can remain free and hoard all of these weapons and mags.

New York gun lovers are screwed. Plain and simple.
    Yep, that's about the size of it. Personally I'd get out earlier rather than later. The more homes there are for sale, the more the market will favor the buyers (and it already favors the buyers anyway). States like NY are only going to consider change if their bank account suffers to a point where they have to look at why it's suffering. The one thing you have to realize is these idiots will not be voted out of office, so you do not have a "democratic" way to free yourself of an oppressive state leadership.
    deadguy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    With no grandfathering, does that mean an ample supply of 8+ rd magazines for sale coming soon?
    New Yorkers have one year to sell any magazine with a capacity more than 7 rounds, including pre-ban 30 round mags from the '94 ban. So, I imagine we'll be seeing a number of mags up for sale not long after this is law.

Nonsense.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My was recently offered a very high paying job in NY. We decided to pass. High taxes, nanny state and now this. The $$$ would have been nice, but living in a gilded cage is not for us.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I hate New York. Feel sorry for anyone that has to put up with this nonsense and I hope this gets challenged and overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love New York, and am saddened that its politicians long ago ended my ability to venture there.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

How stupid is this?! So all the mags over 7 rounds how is NY going to know who has them or not? I mean granted if you shoot someone and you have a 10 round mag you would have to swap it out for your 7 round mag (if at home when this incident occurred) but if it happened outside the home better to just carry a couple 7 rounders.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links