7 round mag limits in NY

This is a discussion on 7 round mag limits in NY within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by deadguy Ya. I was injecting some sarcasm. He is in fact the reason I posted this. Kind of makes one have revolver ...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: 7 round mag limits in NY

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Ya. I was injecting some sarcasm. He is in fact the reason I posted this.
    Kind of makes one have revolver envy doesn't it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    TO THE FOLKS IN NEW YORK: Ruger LC9...7 round mag.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Okay think of this. 230 (45acp) grains x 7 = 1610 grains

1610 grains divided by 9mm 124 grains = 13 rounds

So technically a 7 round 1911 throws as much lead as the very guns-mags they outlaw ...

I guess people need to carry four mags on their belt and OC everywhere, fine by me. If you don't shoot like a NYC cop (spray and pray) you'll still be in pretty good shape.

Illegal limitations on gun ownership will also drive and motivate the small pocket gun market like crazy. Maybe sales of pocket 9mm will explode, or guns like the 45acp single stack pocket Springfield XDm45s

Stuff like this makes the .50 cal Glock conversion that much more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    New York Senate Passes Gun-Control Laws - WSJ.com

I hope the link works. Looks like NY will be a much safer place, now that Cuomo made it illegal to possess anything over 7 rounds.

I'm sorry to anyone who lives up there.
    i think NY will now have some of the lowest crime rate in the country,infact i'm wondering why Cuomo stopped at 7 round capacity,if he lowered it to 1 or 2 NY would probably have no crime at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Thats exactly what I am going to do! I had enough of NY. I am divesting myself from this cess pool and moving south to where the cost of living is cheaper, the weather is better and my liberties are still secure. I am lucky that I am in a position to do this and I really feel for those who want to but can't.
    Come to Texas. We need more gun owners. Trust me I left CA when I had the chance and never looked back.

mkh
    Cuomo. The stupid is strong in that one.

Was watching the linked thread last night... This is getting serious.

Governor Cuomo's Ban Is Unconstitutional
    goldshellback likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    the only guns I know that have 7 or less rounds are sub-compacts and revolvers. People say "don't blame everyone in NY.. it's the politicians." I say it's the entire populace who voted these idiots into office.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I guess I am not finding anything to make a joke about here. I don't live there or go there but the implications of this are far reaching and will ultimately affect every one. This is death by a thousand cuts.

All kinds of people are worried about draconian confiscations and executive orders. These are things that will not happen. The people running the states and the country are actually pretty smart and know this has to be done incrementally. This is the first step. What NY has done will be the model for the govt. It's inconvenient and a bit radical but not enought to set people off or make them rise up. People will complain, lawsuits will be filed but I bet the majority will follow the rules...one step closer to the lemming cliff.

There will be plenty of people that will ignore the law and keep their mags and guns, but they have been rendered useless because if you ever use, it will be the last time you do.

I think they know that it won't stop criminals. I don't think they care because that's not what it's about. It's one more nail in the coffin and 1/50 of the states has just lost the meaning of the Second Amendment.

You can't invade the United States because there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass, except in New York...

This is a very bad outcome.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

Re: 7 round mag limits in NY

My condolences to all from NY.
    finst3r, Bruiser419 and crue2009 like this.

7 round mag limits in NY

I think it is likely that the reason for picking 7 rounds magazine was because they are not something already made by gun companies. This will create problems for Law abiding NY residents, and the pols hope many gun owners will simply give up being a gun owner be/c it is a pain the the a$$.

Instead, I think it is likely that there arbitrary pick of 7 rounds will be what dooms this legislation when it hits the courts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Instead, I think it is likely that there arbitrary pick of 7 rounds will be what dooms this legislation when it hits the courts.
    Hopefully you're right about that part tying it up in court. The 7 round BS is obviously a middle finger to gun owners. 10 round mags are readily available since theyre mandated in some areas, so that wouldn't be "inconvenient" enough. Compliance would require an outlay of capital, not only for gun owners, but also mag manufacturers who would now need to produce standard mags, 10 round mags, and 7 round mags.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    43-18 in favor of the ban. Wow.
    They didn't abolish carry licenses or outlaw gun ownership. I don't agree with their decision, but they have as much
    right to make their own laws as TX or AZ does.

So far they have come out well on legal challenges, and Heller made plain that they can regulate.

I don't like to think this or say this, it doesn't make me happy, but from what I've read I think their laws will
    withstand constitutional challenge. 43-18 is a pretty hefty margin and one has to believe that the new laws
    represent the will of the residents of NYState.

The only place where I think they could run into trouble is in the portion of the law where they give residents 1 year
    to sell their high cap mags out of state. Folks who can't sell will then be left with a choice of turning them over to the police
    I suppose, or keeping them illegally. This smacks of an unconstitutional "taking" if the state won't purchase them.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Well now the criminals know that new yorkers are horribly under-armed.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Nothing new about that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links