7 round mag limits in NY

This is a discussion on 7 round mag limits in NY within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to ask a probably dumb question. How do they know how many round your magazines hold unless you tell them? Maybe it ...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: 7 round mag limits in NY

I am going to ask a probably dumb question. How do they know how many round your magazines hold unless you tell them? Maybe it was part of the registration process? And how in the world will the police find the time to enforce this? As I see it, and maybe I am thinking too simply, the only way you get caught is after you shoot the gun at someone and the cops investigate. Then you get slapped. I just don't see how this aspect of the law is economically enforceable. If anybody has information please enlighten me.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What about the guns that can't be used? Maybe you shelled out a bunch for an XD9m and suddenly that nice magazine is worthless, as too the gun? I probably don't know what I am talking about, but it sure seems sufficiently unfair that
    it could reasonably be construed as an unlawful taking.
    Um Hop... Are you feeling OK. These are the people you support. The ones you keep telling us are fully within the law and can do no wrong. What did you think was going to happen? Did you think they would stick to confines of the Constitution or something?
    cmdrdredd and GoBigOrange like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    I am going to ask a probably dumb question. How do they know how many round your magazines hold unless you tell them? Maybe it was part of the registration process? And how in the world will the police find the time to enforce this? As I see it, and maybe I am thinking to simply, the only way you get caught is after you shoot the gun at someone and the cops investigate. Then you get slapped. I just don't see how this aspect of the law is enforceable. If anybody has information please enlighten me.
    You hit it right on. You use the gun with 15 rounds in a defensive situation, now YOU are the criminal.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

What about the guns that can't be used? Maybe you shelled out a bunch for an XD9m and suddenly that nice magazine is worthless, as too the gun? I probably don't know what I am talking about, but it sure seems sufficiently unfair that
    it could reasonably be construed as an unlawful taking.
    That's a good point. Marlin 795 is now useless, and the 10/22 might as well be. The Marlin won't fire without mag inserted (I know a few folks have modified theirs for dry fire, but that involves disabling safety mechanisms.... a road many are very hesitant to proceed down. I can't say I strongly disagree). And both have 10 rounds mags. I suppose single-feeding is an option....

But clearly the streets are safer now that criminals can't use 795s and 10/22s for their killing sprees. [/sarc]

Cuomo <-------------Legend in his own mind. NY <------unsafe before the Bill. and NOW, MORE unsafe than ever before.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

So now that 15 round 9mm that the gangbanger bought illegally out of the trunk of a car is more illegal for him to murder people with than it was before....everyone in NYC, relax, you're safer now...
    miller_man likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    I am going to ask a probably dumb question. How do they know how many round your magazines hold unless you tell them? Maybe it was part of the registration process? And how in the world will the police find the time to enforce this? As I see it, and maybe I am thinking too simply, the only way you get caught is after you shoot the gun at someone and the cops investigate. Then you get slapped. I just don't see how this aspect of the law is economically enforceable. If anybody has information please enlighten me.
    Yeah. Well how about just another law to make criminals of honest citizens? Isn't that jacked enough?
    And some of you think this law "insane". Those who say they know exactly what they're doing are right. It's going to take the courts to stop these tyrants.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    The people of New York elected these scum bags. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Truth hurts. These same people have relocated south by the masses and are helping to ruin states than were once very conservative. North Carolina, Florida, and Virginia come to mind.

You all get exactly what you deserve.
    wow, thats one bold statement when you dont know who i voted for.... start talking from the mouth next time. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Um Hop... Are you feeling OK. These are the people you support. The ones you keep telling us are fully within the law and can do no wrong. What did you think was going to happen? Did you think they would stick to confines of the Constitution or something?
    Look, there are lots and lots of policy issues besides guns and gun rights which any voter should weigh and consider.
    I don't support them on this gun law, but I do agree with them on many other issues. Similarly, on the other side, don't support
    folks just because they are pro-gun. Look too at what they want to do on a wide range of issues.

2A is one of about 100 things voters need to consider and weigh, balance, prioritize as they go to a polling place.

I've never liked NY's gun laws; even when I lived there and even when I was on the HS rifle team more than half a century ago.

And through those years the upstate Rs (maybe I'm not allowed to say it) were in control. They had decades to change the law and put NYC in its place.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    wow, thats one bold statement when you dont know who i voted for.... start talking from the mouth next time. bunker
    I'm sorry that I upset you but the fact remains that these ELECTED OFFICIALS did exactly what should be expected of a state that always leans to the left. I was probably a little harsh in my first post and I realize not everyone in New York is anti-gun but the people clearly elected these officials who voted by an overwhelming majority to pass this legislation.

And additionally, the same people who flee New York will turn around and vote for the same things they hated back home.
    Last edited by OD*; January 15th, 2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language quoted

VIP Member
    Look, there are lots and lots of policy issues besides guns and gun rights which any voter should weigh and consider.
    I don't support them on this gun law, but I do agree with them on many other issues. Similarly, on the other side, don't support
    folks just because they are pro-gun. Look too at what they want to do on a wide range of issues.

2A is one of about 100 things voters need to consider and weigh, balance, prioritize as they go to a polling place.

I've never liked NY's gun laws; even when I lived there and even when I was on the HS rifle team more than half a century ago.

And through those years the upstate Rs (maybe I'm not allowed to say it) were in control. They had decades to change the law and put NYC in its place.
    You sound like a politician yourself. Glad to see that you oppose these gun laws, at least.

When the community organizer tells us how he's going to usurp the balance of power, yet again, which our government is supposed to operate under, I suppose you'll really have to work to reconcile your feelings for the current administration against the laws of our country.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Guns for food ! Turn in your guns for food. Oops, checked the date, its not 2014 yet.
    Buckeye00 likes this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Hop, you are completely right. Gun rights are one of only a handful of issues that one should consider. I don't think many here will argue against that. But essentially what you just said is that because you agree with them on so many other issues it's ok to vote someone into office that may crap on the constitution.

However, we all wish you would stop defending Obama and the majority of most liberal politicians when it comes to gun rights. You have constantly defended Obama and others on the 2nd Amendment when we knew it was only a matter of time before our fears were proven.

And now that your beloved president is actually threatening to use an executive order to pass more gun control you still stand defiant and refuse to admit that perhaps you are wrong.

You sir, are the epitome of a transplant New Yorker who leaves the state to live in a "free state" but continues to vote for the same people who ruined your home state.

I am not a lawyer, but I took a look at the bill - because you can bet this will be used as a model for elsewhere:

1. Pre-1994 higher cap (more than 10 rounds) mags that were grandfathered are now illegal. NYers will have one year to sell them out of state.

2. 10-rd mags currently in possession can only be loaded with 7 rounds.

3. New mags are limited to 7 rounds (of course, for many guns such mags do not exist)

4. "Assault rifles" are now illegal. Current owners are grandfathered, but will have to register the guns with the State. One feature, like a pistol grip, flash hider, muzzle brake, folding/telescopic stock on a semi-auto that takes a detacheable mag = "assault weapon." [Note to NYers - Ruger Mini 14 still seems legal]

5. All ammo sales will require a background check

6. All private sales other than immediate family will require a background check

Numerous other provisions about mental health workers notifying authorities if they feel someone is a danger. Of course, all that will do is discourage anyone who owns guns (or might want to own them some day) from getting the help they need.

Note - Again, I am not a lawyer. The above is based on a quick read through the bill. I am sure there will be more analysis as time goes by.

Crazy.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Links