Defensive Carry banner

7 round mag limits in NY

19K views 171 replies 87 participants last post by  deanathpc 
#1 ·
#4 ·
From the article said:
"This is not a constitutional question," Mr. Bloomberg said, referring to the Second Amendment. "It's a question of political courage."
Yeah. A test of who's got courage enough to breach a blood oath to protect and defend the Constitution and defy the People. :aargh4:

(Am assuming the swearing-in oath is much the same in NY as elsewhere. Am assuming these folks have sworn to uphold, protect and defend it at least once. Am assuming that "swearing" in NY has about as much meaning as elsewhere [more's the pity].)

#6 ·
New York Limits Capacity to 7 - no Grandfathering

I searched but couldn't find this topic. Also, since this is the only subforum I frequent, I figured I'd post it here and let it land where it may.

EDIT - Nevermind, I see someone posted it in the concealed carry subforum a few minutes ago - EDIT

So, it appears NY will be signing into law that you have to sell your "high capacity" 10 round mags out of state within a year and now 7 is the limit. No Grandfathering this time.

"Assault rifles" must be registered and any sell to a non-family member will be through an FFL.

Voted 48-13.

So, how will that work? Do they even make 7 round 9mm 1911 mags or 7 round anything really besides those designed for that now like 1911's chambered in 45 with GI mags and sub compacts?

I felt for you guys before, but this is just insanity.

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-seals-1st-state-gun-laws-since-newtown-074653716.html

#8 ·
New York, Statue of Liberty, a bold free people, gateway to America, a thing of the past. No reason to even go there anymore. If every business owner and solid legal citizen carried a Glock 19 OC in that place it would be a completely different and mostly crime free city. They're too busy controlling calories and breast milk. It really is sad what the symbols of the USA have become.

#10 ·
New York, Statue of Liberty, a bold free people, gateway to America, a thing of the past. No reason to even go there anymore.
I propose we turn the Statute of Liberty around, to face the other way. To face away from NYC, to face toward a comparatively open and free society ... New Jersey.

#11 ·
Well now the criminals know that new yorkers are horribly under-armed.

I wonder how many of them will flee, now that they're being systematically disarmed, leaving them more and more defenseless against criminals & the State.

Notice how in all these places the monopoly of force resides with the criminal element, and the state. Could it be that's because they're of the same mind-set?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Reactions: CharlesMorri
#90 ·
Well now the criminals know that new yorkers are horribly under-armed.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
Nothing new about that.

#12 ·
So - is Glock now supposed to make a 7-rd mag for the Glock 19, etc?

This is crazy.

It looks like it will go through. I hope it gets thrown out in court. Ugh.

#13 ·
I could not tell from the article if this is a "turn them all in" ban or a "grandfather" ban. Does anybody know? Given the political climate up there and the fact that Cuomo has been tossing the "C" word around, I would suspect the former.

#17 ·
Hm. And I wonder where all those sales are going to end up ... like as not, into the hands of those willing to retain them after the ban (ie, criminals, and likely some "statutory" criminals as well).

Ironic result for such a law: to arm criminals directly, as a nice little side benefit. Let alone the inevitable fact that criminals, then, will be better-armed than upstanding citizens. Unintended consequences, indeed.

#16 ·
IANAL, but isn't making a law retroactive called ex post facto? And isn't that illegal?

Is there any legal possibility of overturning such a law?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Reactions: HotGuns
#65 ·
It is not ex post facto as they are not saying they will arrest you for having purchased the mags in the past. They will arrest you if you don't get rid of them by some future date. It is a stupid law, but not ex post facto.

#27 ·
New Yorkers have one year to sell any magazine with a capacity more than 7 rounds, including pre-ban 30 round mags from the '94 ban. So, I imagine we'll be seeing a number of mags up for sale not long after this is law.

Nonsense.

#19 ·
To the good people of New York: Instead of selling your guns to comply with state laws that obviously infringe upon your Second Amendment right, I humbly suggest that you sell your homes and relocate yourselves and your businesses to any other state that stands up for your Second Amendment rights.

#24 ·
Who the heck wants to buy a home in NY??? But hey, there may possibly be a silver lining. All of the bleeding hearts that believe these restrictions will make them safer can move to New York. The rest of the country can remain free and hoard all of these weapons and mags.

New York gun lovers are screwed. Plain and simple.

#20 · (Edited)
"In the United States, the Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution. The states are prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 1 of Article I, Section 10. This is one of the relatively few restrictions that the United States Constitution made to both the power of the federal and state governments before the Fourteenth Amendment."

#29 ·
I hate New York. Feel sorry for anyone that has to put up with this nonsense and I hope this gets challenged and overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love New York, and am saddened that its politicians long ago ended my ability to venture there.

#28 ·
My was recently offered a very high paying job in NY. We decided to pass. High taxes, nanny state and now this. The $$$ would have been nice, but living in a gilded cage is not for us.

Reactions: bombthrower77
#30 ·
How stupid is this?! So all the mags over 7 rounds how is NY going to know who has them or not? I mean granted if you shoot someone and you have a 10 round mag you would have to swap it out for your 7 round mag (if at home when this incident occurred) but if it happened outside the home better to just carry a couple 7 rounders.

#64 ·
How stupid is this?! So all the mags over 7 rounds how is NY going to know who has them or not?
Purchase records; seen on a shooting range; stopped/searched during traffic stops; an inadvertent verbal slip-up, possibly combined with a friendly neighborhood anonymous tipster doing his "civic duty" ...

#35 ·
Mayor Goofburg and Governer coslo need to revisit the history of Nazi Germany and the Holocost.

#37 ·
If I was any firearm manufacturer I wouldn't be selling any firearms to NY including LEO since the mag limits would be unreasonable any mags sent in for service would not be repaired due to the mag ban,see how fast they change their tune when LEO's can't get new guns or mags

#41 ·
New York Limits Capacity to 7 - no Grandfathering

More to the point, if I was a firearm manufacturer and I was located in that state, I'd suck up the pain and relocate my business to a state that wasn't trying to drive me out if existence. Kimber and Remington I believe are two that need to find a new home state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.