The NRA Scores Another Public Relations Coup

This is a discussion on The NRA Scores Another Public Relations Coup within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are they thinking? NRA releases free target-practice app...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: The NRA Scores Another Public Relations Coup

VIP Member

What are they thinking?
    NRA releases free target-practice app
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

<Grimace>

OD*
    Bad move.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Fail of the decade.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    The antis have clearly stated that one of their goals is to fractionalize the membership by hunters, sports shooters, etc. With moves like this one, they needn't bother.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Not the most prudent tactic IMO.

One thing to keep in mind is the NRA may not have been able to control the release date. That is typically controlled by Apple and although the NRA allowed their name to be used it was developed by MEDL Mobile.

Also, although the media is jumping all over about it being for kids 4 and up, that's simply the rating of the app - not that it's marketed for preschoolers.
    What is Apple's App Rating System?
    The App Rating System is Apple's criteria for what makes an app age appropriate.
    4+Applications in this category contain no objectionable material.
    9+ Applications in this category may contain mild or infrequent occurrences of cartoon, fantasy or realistic violence, and infrequent or mild mature, suggestive, or horror-themed content which may not be suitable for children under the age of 9.
    etc...
    Because in the game you're shooting at paper targets or clays, it's not considered realistic violence.

Out of curiosity I downloaded it and messed around with it a little. It's very very similiar to "Guns and Ammo Point of Impact Reloaded" (which was released in 2011) even down to the safety hints given while it's loading. That one also has an age rating of 4+ but I don't see a bunch of 4 year olds playing that either. They tend to be considered virtual shooting ranges for people who like to shoot. THE NRA has been outspoken about violent video games, but this isn't Call of Duty or whatever - it's a virtual range.

Yeah, from a PR standpoint, it's a fail. But as always its the media making a mountain out of a mole hill. The whole "coffin shaped targets" part is really driving me nuts in the news.
    Harvester and cmdrdredd like this.

How about the NRA work on reversing the propaganda that the anti gun crowd has feed the American public. They are gaining more and more public support against guns.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Yeah, from a PR standpoint, it's a fail. But as always its the media making a mountain out of a mole hill. The whole "coffin shaped targets" part is really driving me nuts in the news.
    One would think simply on the basis of the 2A fight going on, that the NRA would have delayed publication of this thing. At minimum, the mere fact Apple went ahead and gave a rating that effectively suggests it's suitable for children as young as 4yrs of age shows some at the NRA weren't thinking very deeply about it. Not hard to predict, such reactions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is the NRA may not have been able to control the release date. That is typically controlled by Apple and although the NRA allowed their name to be used it was developed by MEDL Mobile.

Also, although the media is jumping all over about it being for kids 4 and up, that's simply the rating of the app - not that it's marketed for preschoolers.
    What is Apple's App Rating System?
    The App Rating System is Apple's criteria for what makes an app age appropriate.
    4+Applications in this category contain no objectionable material.
    9+ Applications in this category may contain mild or infrequent occurrences of cartoon, fantasy or realistic violence, and infrequent or mild mature, suggestive, or horror-themed content which may not be suitable for children under the age of 9.
    etc...
    Because in the game you're shooting at paper targets or clays, it's not considered realistic violence.
    ^^^This^^^ We are just as bad as this publication because we’re playing into this propaganda by calling it a "bad move" or saying it was “poorly timed”.
    Molon Labe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    ^^^This^^^ We are just as bad as this publication because we’re playing into this propaganda by calling it a "bad move" or saying it was “poorly timed”.
    Bad move, poorly-timed.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You know what? I don't give a crap. I'm getting sick and tired of the whimpering and the sniveling. The libs can either TRY to come get them or shut the heck up.
    Just how big an ol' boy are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6oBElJlBs

Language alert?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The app also talks about safety. I would think the Libs would prefer virtual guns over actually practicing with real guns. You know, since guns are the problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Shades of Roy D. Mercer. Anyone have a can opener?
    Brad426 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post

Roy D. Mercer-How Big a Ol&#39; Boy are Ya-#4-Pharmicist - YouTube

Language alert?
    Yep, that's about where I am on this whole thing.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links