May be a stupid question, but I'm curious about a Llama..

This is a discussion on May be a stupid question, but I'm curious about a Llama.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Found what appears to be a deal at a pawnshop; a 'Sub Compact' Llama for ~$350. Looks like a 1911, double stack with what I ...

Thread: May be a stupid question, but I'm curious about a Llama..

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Found what appears to be a deal at a pawnshop; a 'Sub Compact' Llama for ~$350. Looks like a 1911, double stack with what I think is a 7rnd capacity in .45ACP. Used, of course.

Is this as good a deal as it sounds? I'm not familiar with the brand, but it looks like a great CC piece for my wife. Any input would be really appreciated.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Administrator
    I'd pass.

Try to find a STAR PD if you are wanting a deal on a Spanish made handgun at a decent price.
    Or buy a S&W SIGMA. A good reliable firearm with not such a great trigger but, highly ergonomic and super reliable.
    It's a true sleeper gun and one of the best firearm values out there if you are looking for a reliable firearm and don't want to fork out a lot of cash for it.

Click This Link & Read Here.
    It's a decently honest evaluationof the Llama though I think it is actually a bit too optimistic.

I DO remember numerous problems in the past with Llama firearms. Now the name rarely ever even pops up.
    Parts availability was difficult back then and I'm certain that it's far worse now that the maker has been defunct for years.
    If anything breaks on the pistol you will either need to have a custom gunsmith make the part from scratch or you'll be using it as a paperweight.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Ok. I hadn't heard much about them other than the occasional passing comment. The size ad round count would be perfect for my wife to carry, but if it's a questionable gun, then never mind.

Thanks.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Compact is not the only thing that will be "sub".
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My buddy has one. Got it from an old neighbor. He likes it. His works well and through a few hundred rounds has not given him any issues. It is 1911 esque but (and others can attest to the specifics) it is NOT a 1911 and maybe not even a clone. I do not know, but it is similar. From my research it is not a reliable gun but I actually have shot one and really do know a guy who seems to have a reliable one. Most prices I saw were about $150 below the price you mentioned.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I would take another $150-200 and buy an American Classic, or whatever its called now.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Are you sure it's not an Alpaca?

Friend had one-full size 1911 type Largo. POS...jammed constantly. Sometimes had to smack back of slide to get it fully into
    battery. Not worth effort. For that price, get a Kel-tec P11 in 9mm. They're 10rnd mags, but will take all the S&W 5900 series mags (15, 20 & 30 rounds). Several places for owners on net like Keltec.org and such. 10K round torture tests and such have
    been done on them. Mas Ayoobe like em to and they drop in a pocket and disappear. Double action only makes it a good purse gun. Lifetime warrantied and cheaper than that used gun. Oh, forgot...MADE IN AMERICA.

Administrator
    They can be made to run OK but, then you are into added gunsmith costs also...some of the internals are not best quality steel and the one huge disadvantage will be the lack of parts availability.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If u get too close to a llama it'll spit on you.

Everyone has different likes,which is a good thing.A pawn shop opened near me.I went in to see what all they had.A guy showed me a llama 45 he had for sale.I almost told him,i'd about as soon have the animal,but,they are so rude and spit,lol.

Thumbs down Llama info

Had one decades ago. shot it little. it's cute but had gunsmithing friends advse it is basically junk.

When I first got into guns and was asking all sorts of questions. Everyone I talked to said stay away from llamas.

I have the Sigma in 40 cal. with 10 rd. mags. I like it. Not to big, not to small. The trigger is a bit stiff but I did a little trigger work on mine. Still has the long pull, just not as stiff. I carry OWB in a Serpa Holster and IWB.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

Links