Predictions On Govt. Gun Grab - Page 3

Predictions On Govt. Gun Grab

This is a discussion on Predictions On Govt. Gun Grab within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All I know for sure is that this is political theater at its finest. I don't think anyone can predict what the ultimate outcome of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Predictions On Govt. Gun Grab

All I know for sure is that this is political theater at its finest. I don't think anyone can predict what the ultimate outcome of this will be. I think the only thing that we for sure can count on is a further polarization of the American landscape.

Regardless of how any New Yorker feels about guns, their governor just infringed on one of their most important rights as an American citizen. It's almost as if they want to make the process of purchasing guns and ammo to be such a massive headache that people will simply lose patience and just say "Eh, nevermind, I guess it's not that important after all if I have to go through all of this."

I've seen a lot of slimy political maneuvers in my short lifetime, but this takes the cake...of course minus the candles, tasty icing, and singing.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I have been writing emails and making phone calls. Unfortunately I'm in no position to make financial contributions other than my NRA annual membership dues. I meant most gun owners as a whole. I think there are fewer folks raising cane than there should be. I see that my state has made a bold statement to arrest any Fed trying to enforce unconstitutional EO's here. Sure hope they mean it.
    Liar?

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Here is the letters I got from 2 of my Rep's; Course no response from the Dem.

Dear William:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut and the potential legislative responses currently being considered by Congress. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Mere words are not enough to describe the grief I feel from the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary school. The lives of twenty beautiful children and six brave adults were taken far too soon; a parent should never have to bury their child. I know I share the sentiments of every American during this tragic time.

Upon taking office, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. As such, I am committed to preserving the right of law-abiding citizens to purchase, own, and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment. The shootings at Sandy Hook should not be used to promote an infringement on our Constitutional rights. In a free society like ours, it is an unfortunate reality that the government cannot prevent every evil and tragic event from occurring.

Semi-automatic firearms were introduced more than a century ago. They account for about 15 percent of the more than 250 million privately-owned firearms in the United States, and are used for the same purposes that other firearms are, including self-defense, hunting, and recreational and competitive target shooting. The term "assault weapons" is a general one used by the media and anti-gunners to intentionally blur the line between fully automatic firearms, which have been banned since the 1930's and semi-automatics, which are common and popular firearms.

It is my position that we do not need to enact another assault weapons ban. Evidence and FBI crime statistics have shown that the first attempt at a ban in 1994 did not produce any noticeable reductions in crime rates, which were already trending downward before the ban was enacted. More focus should be placed on the laws currently in place and on our nation's mental health system.

Our founding fathers included the Second Amendment in the Constitution in order to ensure citizens could defend themselves against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and we must never forget or compromise this right. Please know that I will fight the Administration and my colleagues in Congress at every turn in their attempts to restrict law-abiding American's right to purchase and own guns.

Again, thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please feel free to call my office at (202) 225-7041 should you have any further questions or concerns about this or any other issue, or visit my website at Congressman Sam Graves : Home for more information.

Sincerely,

Sam Graves

Dear William,
    Thank you for contacting me regarding the rights of gun owners.
    As you may know, I am a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights. The right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms is an individual right guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution and broadly interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court. Our Founders clearly understood that one of the most basic rights of Americans is the ability to defend themselves and their families.

In light of the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, there have been calls for immediate action to address gun control. I do believe it is important that we have a serious national discussion about preventing these senseless acts of violence and protecting our children in their schools. Equally important, however, is an effort that more broadly addresses ways to spend federal dollars more wisely when it comes to treating and identifying those who are mentally ill as well as intervening before they tragically impact their own lives and the lives of others.

There are no easy answers here. I continue to believe that a weapons ban does not fix the issue. Whatever we do, it must be consistent with the Constitution.

I appreciate your thoughts and will continue to support legislation that safeguards our Second Amendment rights, encourages safe and responsible gun ownership, and keeps our homes and families safe.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt) about the important issues facing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website (blunt.senate.gov) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
    United States Senator
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Is it correct that executive orders don't have to be followed by states that enact legislation against it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Wyoming Lawmakers Propose ?Gun Protection? Legislation To Thwart Obama Pat Dollard
    Tell that to Arizona, Texas and every other state that tries to deal with illegal immigration.
    No, states don't have to kowtow. But they inevitably do, due to the threat to withhold suck-time on the teat of public funds from Washington DC on other things (roads, education, etc).

One path surely is to stand against such things. And of course the inevitable backlash will sting. But it might well be the better course of action to avoid being slaves. Dependence on the teat has gotten us to this spot, and it ain't all it's cracked up to be. At some point, hopefully enough folks will realize that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Mo is trying to tell Obama where to go:

Rep. Casey Guernsey (R-Bethany) is filing legislation today that he says combats the impending encroachment of our basic Second Amendment Rights. He invited all legislators to co-sign the bill. He says several dozen of them have … all Republican.
    The bill is in reaction to Vice President Biden’s task force on gun law reform, and the feeling that President Obama will, by executive order, restrict access to firearms.
    Guernsey says he is surprised no Democrats have signed the bill although Minority Leader Jake Hummel has said before he supports gun rights as a gun owner. Guernsey says his bill protects more than Missourians’ right to bear arms, and also protects Missouri’s Tenth Amendment Rights.
    Gun bill would uphold Missouri right to bear arms, despite executive orders from federal government

Bill is reported to have 61 co-sponsors:

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking...ro/HB0170I.htm
    TX expat and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRules View Post
    I predict:
    1. There will be severe restrictions on Gun Shows and individuals selling or trading firearms. (mandatory background checks or else face "Felony" charges.)
    2. There will be an attempt to reduce the capacity of magazines sold from this date forward.
    3. There will be an attempt to hold "Firearm" manufacturers either civilly or even criminally liable when a crime is committed using one of their weapons.
    4. There will be an attempt to severely curtail "States Rights" as to gun laws.
    I think you may be right on 1 & 2. I think 3 has already run through the Courts and was ruled against, more likely 3 would be the AWB. As to 4, some of the states already have worst laws on the books, and after the new New York law and those being proposed in Maryland (Who has a heavy Democratic legislature probably willing to pass it).

What we really need is a 1 year moratorium on new gun laws while the state and federal governments ENFORCE the laws on the books, and see what that does. (Heck, this country can't even enforce our traffic laws any more! )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Thank you for posting this, I had not seen it yet. My House Rep is among the co-sponsors. I guess it's time to write him again and thank him for protecting our rights!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Registration is the first step in confiscation. I am hearing, confiscation was in the original draft of the NY law but taken out at the last minute. Let there be no doubt. Confiscation is the goal. I used to not believe this but listening to speeches and watching governments actions have led me to believe that it is their ultimate goal. They know the people are getting restless due to their stupidity and they want no way for the people to have the wherewithal to say "ENOUGH".
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    I am thrilled to see this. Do you know when we can expect to find out if it passes or not?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farmermom View Post

Excuse me?

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Excuse me?
    Check the link.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    As long as our spineless elected officials let him get away with EO's, he will.

The truth is we are no longer a Republic ruled by representation.

We never have been. Voting in the beginning was restricted to the wealthy (Landowners and Merchants) By the time we did get public suffrage, the elite were already entrenched. Rule by political party and special interests has been the system since George Washington left office. Wake up and smell the flowers, they are not roses!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links