Walther PPQ owners: ENTER!

This is a discussion on Walther PPQ owners: ENTER! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay. I really like this firearm. Here are two problems I have with it: The recoil guide rod is the flimsiest plastic I've ever encountered ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Walther PPQ owners: ENTER!

Okay. I really like this firearm.

Here are two problems I have with it:

The recoil guide rod is the flimsiest plastic I've ever encountered in a guide rod. Have you experienced any problems with this? Are replacements cheap/easy to get?

The mag release is in a really awkward place. Is this hard to get used to?

2. Remove Ads

Its absolutely my favorite gun. I love the mag release. Perfect position i dont even have to take my sights off the target to change a mag. No problems with the guide rod at all. Fired about 1200 rds. However i do plan to buy a metal guide rod. Theyre 60 dollars. Ill find the link and post it later.

What you should know is that its been discontinued and Walther is shifting focus to the PPQ mm2 which has a standad mag release. Im more happy with this gun than any ive bought in 2 years. You will love it. If you find one try out the mag release, if you dont like it wait for the mm2

Guide rods..... Walther - BT Guide Rods

Iíve got 2 PPQ-9ís, about 6000 rounds through one, and 1800 rounds through the 2nds. Zero issues so far. I donít sweat the spring guide as Iíve only seen a couple issues, and theyíve been in service a long time with the P99.

The mag release is flat out awesome once you get used to it. Iím actually pissed that the PPQ is being discontinued in favor of the M2 with the button as the paddle release is one of my favorite features. Itís one of the only mag releases that I donít have to adjust my grip even slightly to use.

Itís one of the few pistols I have multiples of, well besides 1911s and Colt SAAs.

Chuck
    SayVandelay and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    homo homini lupus est

^^^was going to say, I only regret not getting 2. Ill probably buy an mm2 though. I feel like if they dont bring it back into production it will be highly sought after on the used market

The PPQ is fantastic.

Mag release is very easy to operate without adjusting your grip (one of my favorite features).

No problems with guide rod.

Excellent trigger.

Very reliable.

I have several thousand rounds through it and have had zero issues.

I carry the PPQ every single day as my primary carry gun.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

while the mag release is different, try using the second finger of your strong hand to use it - not your thumb or off-hand... it is a totally different operation, but it is far faster for me - it cut a half-second off my shot to shot reloads times in competition over any other gun....

I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    .XX likes this.

So because local store only has a .40 should I not expect a 9 to come in because its being discontinued? Is the only change on m2 the mag release?

When will the ppq m2 be released?

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    So because local store only has a .40 should I not expect a 9 to come in because its being discontinued? Is the only change on m2 the mag release?
    Yes, the only difference is the mag release. I think the m2 is already in production, so you should see it soon. But this is obviously a bad time in general. I've never known a store that's not willing to special order something, so just ask the store.

Bought myself a 9mm PPQ last week for my birthday - love it! Can't speak to the recoil guide rod, but I got used to the mag release fairly quickly. I shoot with my right hand and use my middle finger to pull the lever down. I found it to be a very natural movement.
    .XX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    while the mag release is different, try using the second finger of your strong hand to use it - not your thumb or off-hand... it is a totally different operation, but it is far faster for me - it cut a half-second off my shot to shot reloads times in competition over any other gun....

I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yup^^^^^^^

Using your middle finger on your strong hand to release the mag is very natural and very fast.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

The PPQ is gone from all stores by me right now. I have no idea if they will be shipping in new ones or when the M2 will be in stores. If I ordered one online to be shipped to a store, does it cost more?

The PPQ is gone from all stores by me right now. I have no idea if they will be shipping in new ones or when the M2 will be in stores. If I ordered one online to be shipped to a store, does it cost more?
    It will cost more, and you'll have a hard time finding any good name 9mm right now anyway. I paid $540 locally, and I got lucky because they were supposed to hold it for me, but it took them an hour to find it when I went to get it, so I paid 510. Cant imagine youll get any kind of deal under 600 online

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Okay. I really like this firearm.

Here are two problems I have with it:

The recoil guide rod is the flimsiest plastic I've ever encountered in a guide rod. Have you experienced any problems with this? Are replacements cheap/easy to get?

The mag release is in a really awkward place. Is this hard to get used to?
    The US version of the PPQ is due to be released in the next few months, and it has the US side button mag release. You may choose to wait for that version to come out. I like the Euro mag releases myself.. fell in love with them on the H&K P30, and have the same on my PPQ.

I am about to make you a happy man. I use a BT guide rod, which is identical in every way to the OE plastic one, except for being made of stainless steel. It even uses a factory recoil spring from Walther. Here's the link:

P99/PPQ - BT Guide Rods

For those unaware, Walther cut ties with S&W, who was the US distributor for the PPQ among other models. Walther is opening a US based mfg and dist plant here in the US this month, and should begin shipping to retailers within the next month or two, and have, as a result, changed the mag release on the new PPQ model, to a side button.

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links