I almost died today. My wife shot me..... - Page 2

I almost died today. My wife shot me.....

This is a discussion on I almost died today. My wife shot me..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I so stunned I don't know what to say. Personally, I've never had anything good come from my wife starting any conversation with the words, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: I almost died today. My wife shot me.....

I so stunned I don't know what to say.

Personally, I've never had anything good come from my wife starting any conversation with the words, "We need to talk."

I can now say that concept is like a unicorn. I've heard of it, just never actually seen it for myself.
    GunsAndViolince and OD* like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Be happy that she does whatever she wants, in this regard. Be happy it's a situation in which you're becoming a tag-team on the subject of self-defense and the use of force as needed to protect your family. Support whatever investigation she needs to make in order to get comfortable with the concept, find a suitable firearm, get appropriate training, come to grips with the reality of being armed with a deadly weapon, and the whole host of questions. "Allow" her every latitude to be be as fully responsible for the decision as she's capable of being and knows how to be. Do those things, and I can't imagine how things could go wrong short of her getting cranky about not finding "the one" right away.

Glad things are working out, defense-wise. Kudos to both of you!

Next steps ... get involved with force-on-force training, learn a tag-team approach to defense, get "the plan" down pat, etc.

And, whatever you do, strongly consider having someone else do the formal training. Better for both of you, on that score.
    Actually some of the best advice I could hear right now! I have learned the hard way that sometimes spouses and fathers just don't make the best instructors (or is it spouses and children don't make the best students?).

Thanks!
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I so stunned I don't know what to say.

Personally, I've never had anything good come from my wife starting any conversation with the words, "We need to talk."

I can now say that concept is like a unicorn. I've heard of it, just never actually seen it for myself.
    That is why I just about called 911 and told them to bring the defibrillator because I was going to have a heart attack. Whenever (oops, excuse me, GENERALLY SPEAKING) when my wife says "we need to talk", I just grab my pillow and blankets and go sleep with my dogs in the dog house, and am thankful that there are worst places I could end up.
    Last edited by DMan; January 16th, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
    BugDude likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

"Honey, we need to talk. I've just decided to get my CHL and first firearm. Whaddayathink?"

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Congratulations.
    Definitely let her pick out what she wants. Of course she will expect you to pay for it.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Woohoo!

You should know I don't normally do that, but this is 'woohoo'-worthy.

Regarding "His and Hers," definitely get more guns. Once she gets good and hooked, you can buy each other guns for your birthdays, Christmas and other romantic occasions. Ya lucky duck!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Great!!!!!!!!!!!! Let her get one of her own choice. My wife after getting license used one of my mouse guns, but did not like the slide. Gee, I bought her a gun each week for four weeks and she did not like any of them (smile) until I brought home a LCR-CT.
    Bottom line, let her pick her own unless you want to add to your collection as I did. Till this day I can't imagine why she did not like the Colt 1911.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I almost died today. My wife shot me.....

My wife just applied for her CPL the week after Christmas. Between some bad neighbors, the political climate and the crimes in the news she decided it was time.

We have been married almost 21 years and she finally came to the conclusion that she needs to be able to protect herself and our children when I am not around. I couldn't be prouder of her

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I just about died today. Today my wife shot me with a text message saying "We need to talk about the guns". My only thought was "OMG, here it comes".

My wife has been supportive of me with my guns, but she has never felt fully comfortable with them. With the political climate the way it is, and all the discussion going on in the media, I really thought she was saying "Enough, time to get rid of them." Instead......

Instead, when we talked, she said "I think I need to get my concealed carry permit" I was wondering if I need to clean the wax out of my ears... I asked her to repeat that, and she did, I had heard her correctly.

I can't believe it. I had suggested it many times over the years, but decided I wasn't going to raise the issue again after years of turning the idea down. When my wife says something like this, it generally means she very serious and is ready to do it. She doesn't say stuff like this unless she means it. Needless to say, I got out of work early, met up with her and visited some stores where we can get information on the a class she can take. We even had a sales person pull out a few different makes/models see what fits her hands.

So now I need some advice... after she gets her license, do I lock my guns away so they stay mine and let her get her own? Or do I let her have one of mine, so I can get a new one?
    Good for your wife. She is joining one of the largest segments of our society to get actively involved in self defense and fire arms......women. Suggest she comes here too. I have noticed in the past few months....women members here have increased and bring up subjects that are of special interest to women.

As for the weapon (s) she gets. Let her try a few of yours and maybe even a couple you don't own. See if there is a shop or range that allows her to use a weapon that interests her to see if she likes it.

I can use any of the weapons we own (hubby and I are "we"), but I usually use one of the two that are considered mine. A Ruger SP101 and a Ruger LCP (In colors of Raspberry/Black.....Hubby's is Black/Black). Depends on what I am wearing and where I am going as to which. The SP101 is usually next to my chair in my sewing basket. Quick access. LCP is lighter to carry around...especailly with jeans and pocket holster. I have a "special" purse from Coronado Leather Coronado Leather | Handcrafted Firearm Concealment Leatherwear Handbags/ Luggage/ Jackets/ Law Enforecement also for "dressing up"
    and there are many other good sources for "gun" purses.

Again....great news and give her a 'atta girl from me.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Get her a good one that she loves. Think of it as a "thank you" present for finally agreeing that you were right all along

Just don't say it like that.
    Lish and DMan like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by DFuller View Post
    My wife just applied for her CPL the week after Christmas. Between some bad neighbors, the political climate and the crimes in the news she decided it was time.

We have been married almost 21 years and she finally came to the conclusion that she needs to be able to protect herself and our children when I am not around. I couldn't be prouder of her

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan
    I love the fact that other women are coming to the world of self defense. It means they can protect themselves and the children if alone and is a great team member with the husband.

I believe 100% in the quote by Susan B. on my signature line. More trained and armed women means BG will think twice about who they can victimize. If they make the mistake ....the women can protect themselves. I am so pleased.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

do I lock my guns away so they stay mine and let her get her own? Or do I let her have one of mine, so I can get a new one?
    Congrats! You're a bit a head of the curve. obama wants to take our guns but you no longer have any: they all belong to your wife now.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Re: I almost died today. My wife shot me.....

Love it, that is awesome, congrats.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member
    outstanding!
    when mrs. whoppo made the decision to get her cc permit I was just as delighted as I'm sure you are now.
    help her choose a weapon with which she'll be comfortable and buy it for her... new! accessorize it well and seek professional training for her in addition to your own guidance, and take that training with her. when that's done, rinse and repeat... if one gun and one class is good, two and three of each is better.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

So now I need some advice... after she gets her license, do I lock my guns away so they stay mine and let her get her own? Or do I let her have one of mine, so I can get a new one?
    I'm in the same situation. We talked about her getting my SR9c and me getting the new SR45. That's an option. She also mentioned going with me to the gun show this weekend, indicating she wants to get touchy feely with a few guns to see what she likes. She left the SR45 "on the table" so I have a green light to get it regardless.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links