This should help ! Teachers Train to Tackle Gunmen

This is a discussion on This should help ! Teachers Train to Tackle Gunmen within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Teachers Train to Tackle Gunmen Video | NBC New York...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: This should help ! Teachers Train to Tackle Gunmen

Teachers Train to Tackle Gunmen

Video | NBC New York

We have 280 lb professional athletes playing football every Sunday that make millions per game struggling to tackle a man with a BALL and they think they can teach a 50 year old wormy math teacher to tackle a madman with a gun? And they're the ones calling for "common sense?" Really???
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Darn it! They should realize that all they need to do is place "Gun Free Zone" signs at every entrance and that will stop the armed intruders.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

This is the right idea - some guy with a gun isn't totally unstoppable.

Fortunately they'll never have to use the new skills they've learned, thanks to the New York State Government ensuring the safety of all with the new laws. Whew!

Austin
    AngryBadger417 and surefire7 like this.

How did that work for the Principal and psychologist at Sandy Hook?
    BugDude likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This reminds me of that scene in the first Indiana Jones movie where he 'could' have chosen to fight the guy with the scimitar by other means, but just ended up shooting him. Makes sense to me. But at least they're not just training them to lock that door that has the huge glass pane in it and cower in darkness waiting for the worst. So, I guess it's progress.

I'd much prefer that someone be armed, like a LEO, a teacher or other staff member trained for this role, or heck, me! I'd be happy to take a shift at my daughter's school. Not saying this would necessarily be a good idea without some specific training, but...try shooting up a school with a team of armed volunteer parents watching over the kids and see how far that would get.

Almost anything is better than blindly screaming, fainting and wilting en masse. Couldn't be any worse than the shooting galleries most such places are right now.

Of course, they could do a whole lot better.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not the best solution, but heck yeah - if my choice were to stand there and give away my life or force the guy to take it the hard way...it's going to be the best of what I've got against whatever he's bringing to the table.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I guess it is possible though...when I was a kid I asked my Dad for $5 and I had to listen to a story about him walking to school, in 3 feet of snow, barefoot, uphilll, both ways, and he fought off a grizzly bear with his spiral notebook and a #2 pencil.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I guess it is possible though...when I was a kid I asked my Dad for $5 and I had to listen to a story about him walking to school, in 3 feet of snow, barefoot, uphilll, both ways, and he fought off a grizzly bear with his spiral notebook and a #2 pencil.
    Pfft... MY dad did all that, too, but says he walked BACKWARDS uphill both ways.
    BugDude likes this.

Ha! My dad walked backwards, uphill, in 5 ft of snow ON HIS HANDS while juggling the bears with his feet! It was only black bears, but there were usually 3 of them.

Sorry, I know I think I'm sooooo amusing...

With what we're seeing the news these days I'm doing what I can to avoid being found drooling and rocking back and forth in a corner. I mean, I want to try to focus on other things like writing letters to my reps, etc., but I find myself staring at the TV saying, "Too....horrible....can't....not...look!"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    No grizz but I had to fight off Janie up the street. That was a fight! She didn't fight fair.

Maybe we should offer all the Ex-NFL defensive players a second career defending schools. I bet some of those tackles would make the highlights! Otherwise, I see a BG standing there in a pile of dead teachers.
    BugDude likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

About all you can do in a gun free zone!

My Dad was a kind, warm, old man and I wish he was still hear..

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Darn it! They should realize that all they need to do is place "Gun Free Zone" signs at every entrance and that will stop the armed intruders.
    And they will probably want you to call the police so they can turn themselves in. All those signs do is let the nut jobs know that the schools are a turkey shoot. I work in the 3rd largest ISD in dfw and I would like to see select teachers and administrators receive the training (not just a weekend course but extensive training) to be able to have a firearm at their disposal(my wife tends to disagree) whether it be on their person or in a locked cabinet where they can retrieve it quickly. I work with several emotionally disturbed kids who can become extremely violent at the drop of a hat. We've already had two teachers injured this year. Who's to say one of them couldn't bring a gun to school and go on a rampage? More than likely not but a disgruntled parent who is upset with the teachers or going through a custody dispute and is just totally distraught might. Call me a hypocrite if you will, but I do not send my child to a public school. I work in public school and see what's out there. Don't get me wrong, there are some great families and children at my school but they are starting to become the minority. I am tired of us catering to the lowest common denominator and forsaking the good ones. Sorry for the rant, I am just fearful of the world my child in which my child to grow up. I know I can't protect them forever but I would like to as long as I can. I am a child of the 80's and I remember how different(safe) it was. The worst thing we had to worry about was someone being caught with cigarettes or a pocket knife. We need desperately another Reagan..and another Patton. Sorry, I'm done now.

I think it would make more sense to teach them Advanced Scolding Techniques..........Not too harsh, not too soft, just right. If I had children in school, I'd be happy as a clam to know that some of their teachers were armed. Liberal thinking is indeed a form of mental illness. Sort of like children who believe that if they cover their eyes, you can't see them............ Sandpiper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links