Will manufacturers re-tool all weapon mags to meet new laws

This is a discussion on Will manufacturers re-tool all weapon mags to meet new laws within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by high pockets Maybe someone will institute a "Magazine Buyback!" Turn in your "High Capacity" magazine and get $.05 back, like the old ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Will manufacturers re-tool all weapon mags to meet new laws

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Maybe someone will institute a "Magazine Buyback!"

Turn in your "High Capacity" magazine and get $.05 back, like the old return deposit bottles.
    Old? We still have bottle deposit in MI...
    NMB likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    maybe some kind of a plug with a shorter spring and still be able to utilize those mags.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

The debate over limited capacity mags is off and running

What is the defining interpretation of the new mag limit restrictions

What is a common ground restriction

How may rounds do you gun-quacks need

It's like a episode

Why do they keep bring up: "It's for the good of our children "

There was a saying we sensible Adult Pack Leaders used to refer to when my kids were in the Cub Scouts.

Quote: "If all the adults would curb their personal + selves-serving = attitudes, and/or go-way. The kids will have more fun!"

Same can be said about youth sports too! Soccer Mom's chill

But nooooooo....they, mostly non-leader parents, had to inflict their own self serving agendas onto the Pack's Activities that WERE MEANT FOR the children, to the point that all it did was cause bickering and ruin all the fun of belonging for the Scouts!

Now I'm not making light of what has happened in Sandy Hook by no means. But enough of the exploiting of the fact of what happened. It is a horrendous shame of using that as your agendas excuse, to fuel your power-push to disarm Law Abiding Citizens.

Look at how ridiculous the new NY Law is written, because of its hasty generation. It was voted in before a majority of those whom voted it into law even had a chance to read it! Now even LEO's are in violation of it?

Every-time you hear or read something anti-firearms related. It ALSO includes or starts out with mention of the Sandy Hook incident. Even Obama had a group of kids that wrote him letters condemning it paraded out onto stage when he held his photo-op, promoting his preemptive political agenda, and he also had victimized Sandy Hook parents in the audience that he introduced.

7-round magazine limit? Even a 10-round limit? Since about 99.999999999% of the firearms on the market today have a standard capacity of more than that.

Seems to me to be an attempt to start the domino's to fall towards an agenda to precipitate to dis-empowerment, and the disarming of all of our Law Abiding American Citizens.

Where is our power of self preservation, self endowment, and civil rights going?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    For guns that are in dealer stock, I don't see any problem for Glock, and other manufacturer's, to come out with a very simple kit that restricts the 10 round magazines that were in stock in NY to 7 rounds. It isn't rocket science. My project for this weekend is to make one as an experiment for my Glock 19 magazines just to see how easy it is. I think I can make it out of a piece of hardwood to give the concept a try. The manufacturer's are doubtless hard at it as I type this to protect their dealers. They could have product available within 3 weeks to NY dealers only as long as only injection molded parts are required and the existing springs will work. They can make them a different color to simplify inspection.

The 10 round magazines in pistols like the Browning Buckmark have a long plastic follower to restrict them to 10 rounds now. If that follower were 3 brass longer, it would limit it to 7 rounds.

I read the actual text of the law because I have family living in NYS. I didn't see anything in there that says you have to sell existing compliant 10 round magazines that have been required in NY for years within a year. Period. You can legally just have 7 rounds in them. The bad guys won't, but the good guys will. But then, that's nothing new. Gun laws punish the good guys and help the bad guys.

Buying ammunition is going to be the bigger problem. I might have missed it, but didn't see any language in there about phase in time for the ammo approval process.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    The new law was written to only allow mags with a capacity of 7. Anything more than 7 will be against the law. You will be fined / charged w/ a misdemeanor. Residents have up to one year to sell their illegal magazines out of state before facing fines if caught.

My comment is based of the new New York law that was signed yesterday.
    Want to have fun, ask the NY LEO how many rounds he has in his magazine. When he tells you 12/15/17 make a citizens arrest, since the law did not grant exemption for police.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I don't think they should retool I think somebody should got to SCOTUS with the argument that this is an infringment. Based on Keller, 7 round magazines are not common. Therefore, If manufactures make them common well then the State of NY may be able to convince SCOTUS.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    I'm proposing a 3 smilie face limit on posts starting 1/17/13.

Most of the major makers already do make low cap mags, but 7 is a stupid number no doubt created to make things difficult and pretty much force out modern semi autos. I don't see any of them retooling because of tools in one state.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Unless I am misreading the obama speech and his executive orders.... THERE ARE NO NEW LAWS!!! And there wont be any because it will never in a million years get through congress.

So this is a moot point at the moment.

Unless we are strictly talking about NY gun laws in which case why would a manufacturer re-tool for the purpose of one states regulations.

The ROI for the manufactures would never make sense.

Time for trucking companies to start offering good move-out deals to NY state residents.
    Move the tax base to where it is appreciated.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

In NY, you can have 10 rd mags, but if you get caught with more than 7 loaded, it is a $200 fine and a misdemeanor. Guess what most NYers are gonna do? Fuhghedaboudit! Similar if you get caught with a pre-1994 mag with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, which NYers now have a year to sell out of state.

Real problem is they cannot buy more 10-rd mags. I doubt any maker is going to start producing them, knowing that the law will wind up challenged in court.

Hopefully it will get thrown out - the SCOTUS has used the "in common use" test, and 10+ rd mags are in "common use." So are the so-called "assault weapons" that are now banned in NY.

High-ho, high-ho, it's off to court they go...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    The new law was written to only allow mags with a capacity of 7. Anything more than 7 will be against the law. You will be fined / charged w/ a misdemeanor. Residents have up to one year to sell their illegal magazines out of state before facing fines if caught.

My comment is based of the new New York law that was signed yesterday.
    I would be moving... sorry New York, KommieFornia and Makes me ILL Illinois are three states I will never live in.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    They'll probably jut stamp a dimple at the 10 round mark keeping the follower from dropping down any further. Thats what most mag manufactures did with the original 10 rd. cap law/AWB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    For guns that are in dealer stock, I don't see any problem for Glock, and other manufacturer's, to come out with a very simple kit that restricts the 10 round magazines that were in stock in NY to 7 rounds. It isn't rocket science. My project for this weekend is to make one as an experiment for my Glock 19 magazines just to see how easy it is. I think I can make it out of a piece of hardwood to give the concept a try. The manufacturer's are doubtless hard at it as I type this to protect their dealers.
    None of that will work for those in New York. If you read the law carefully, it plainly states that magazines which can be easily converted back to holding more than 7 rounds are not allowed.

So restrictor devices and the like, or conversion kits, or "dimples stamped into the magazine body" are not legal in New York, if the physical size of the magazine body is large enough to accept more than 7 rounds.

People in New York are just plain screwed. Hopefully any Federal restrictions which may come forward and apply to the rest of the nation will not have that type of specific wording in the law enacted.

The best bet is to keep pressuring Congress not to impose any magazine size restrictions.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

no different than in '94. Glock just came out with 10 round mags for every gun. Others just added a plug at the bottom of existing mags that made them
    only able to hold 10 rounds.

.....from what I'm reading so far, I don't think the whole weapons ban and mag limits are going anywhere in Congress. Its a different environment than in '94.
    This time, everyone had four years to prepare for the inevitable time when Obama would try this stunt. With the introduction of concealed carry laws in
    every state except Illinois, the country as a whole no longer view firearms as evil, and there is much stronger support for our 2nd Amendment rights than there
    was back when Slick Willie muscled his AWB through Congress.
    ...if anything makes it through Congress, I will be surprised, but will just start carrying my G30SF which is already Obama/Biden approved with a 10 round mag.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Can't tell you how happy I am to have moved back to NY after working in FL for 35 years. Feel like I left the Country. Keep asking how legal and enforceable is this new law.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Time for trucking companies to start offering good move-out deals to NY state residents.Move the tax base to where it is appreciated.
    To heck with that... I'd work harder at voting the idiots outta office before I give up the fight. Sooner or later the morons are gonna push the wrong button and the masses will figure out they've been had. If they don't, oh well, c'est la vie.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links