List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan - Page 10

List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal No one that the law doesn't now already disallow Well, I read #4 again and I dont see these^^^words anywhere in ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    No one that the law doesn't now already disallow
    Well, I read #4 again and I dont see these^^^words anywhere in there. So on that, we can agree to disagree. I apologize, but I'm not sure how the rest of your post fits into the current conversation.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Sorry, that's a completely illogical step. No where were we talking about who can commit crimes, or how it would play out concerning stopping crimes. The discussion was about whether total background checks must end in gun registration. Your comment has nothing to do with that discussion.
    Oh but it does because you said you want a database of who can't own a gun. The people who committed the recent acts did one of two things.

1) Passed a background check multiple times no problem
    2) stole the weapons

Making a database of people disallowed would never have prevented either of these two instances. So your idea is rubbish, especially when there is no telling what type of lunatic ideas they'll have to decide who is "fit" to own a gun.

I stand firm on the "give no ground" response on this point.
    I do agree the mental health system needs fixing. There are parents who need help with their kids and they cannot do it as a single parent or even a couple. They get passed around from this agency to that and never get any help. Some of them fear for the safety of their family and others because their child is diagnosed bi-polar or something and they don't ever get any real treatment for them.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    If the store closes or stops FFL for waht ever reason then they are required to turn all federal forms into BATF.
    That is TRUE for many years. I used to have an FFL and when the cost and fingerprinting like a criminal every 3 years I gave it up. When I did I had to mail all my forms to the BATF. What they did with them who knows.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I actually answered it above. You have a national database of those who are not allowed to own weapons due to court action. When you sell a gun, you call in with the information and get a code, basically exactly like the FFL system now. Then you're required to hold on to that code for 7 years. No where does it mandate "proving" that you bought the gun legally. That's something that's being drummed up, but I don't see it happening.

However, even if it did - you simply provide a copy of the form that has the approval code you and the seller wrote in when it was called in for approval. No need for a database. That's just one way of doing it.
    I do not believe you have spent much time dealing with US regulatory agencies.

Also, the system you have detialed would do nothing to get guns out of the hands of crimnals unless they were already caught for another reason. So there is no reason for the change.
    cmdrdredd likes this.

List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

Most of them don't sound too bad to me. I don't have a problem with studying the causes of violence, so long as it is truly scientific, peer-reviewed and whatnot.

Also, as someone who has a minor child living in a separate residence that is legally prevented from owning guns, it'd be nice to know that his step-dad's DV arrests are going to show up on a background check if he tries to purchase a firearm. I honestly don't know if he would be flagged at the LGS right now.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Quote Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
    Don't like the one about Doctors asking patients about guns in the home. This is a blatant invasion of privacy.
    My answer to a doctor who would ask me that question would be "It's none of your damn business." Let's see next what congress may or may not do.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Most of them don't sound too bad to me. I don't have a problem with studying the causes of violence, so long as it is truly scientific, peer-reviewed and whatnot.

Truly scientific? This is the federal government we're talking about. Don't get your hopes up.

My concern is this puts Obama's foot in the door for total control...so far he has all that he already wants. He will keep going. Bad Guys will always have access to whatever weapons they choose. No matter the laws we have in place. Bad Guys DO NOT follow laws!!!! SMH
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    S&W 640-3

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post

Also, as someone who has a minor child living in a separate residence that is legally prevented from owning guns, it'd be nice to know that his step-dad's DV arrests are going to show up on a background check if he tries to purchase a firearm. I honestly don't know if he would be flagged at the LGS right now.
    I agree, even though most of his proposed actions are total fluff, and will do nothing, just a publicity stunt. However, if I were you I wouldn't be worried about your child living with someone who is violent and might POSSIBLY purchase a firearm. As if a firearm is the only way to kill someone...
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
    Don't like the one about Doctors asking patients about guns in the home. This is a blatant invasion of privacy.
    Meh. The asking isn't invasion of privacy, per se. The demanding of it, though, would be. Such as, denying service unless a person submitted to answering such questions.

I agree with reticence about such questions, though. At best, it's going to identify possible chemical (ie, gunpowder) and weapon sources of potential threat to "health and well-being." At worst, it's going to go onto some list, some database somewhere, that'll prompt others into action based on that information. As if a person's at serious risk merely because such products have been purchased. On the surface of it, it's little different than asking if Ajax cleanser is under the kitchen sink. Deeper down, though, the ugliness of the presumption of criminality and threat related to it simply being a firearm goes way beyond any cursory benefit such an answer could provide.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

No where does it mandate "proving" that you bought the gun legally.
    We don't know what is in the E.O. because we ain't read it yet. They ain't showed it to us, just gave us a "one line overview" of what the E.O. is all about.

That's something that's being drummed up, but I don't see it happening.
    You will...

I've seen in happen when I was a LEO. It's nothing short of anti-gun, back door, gun control. Try watching COPS sometime. All kinds of infringements on constitutional rights going on.

Or better yet, just watch TV documentaries on Public Television and you'll see that when you cross a Native American Reservation (via a U.S. Highway) and if you get stopped for speeding, they confiscate any and all weapons and hold them until you prove ownership.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

All worthless drivel from an empty suit but....he and his kind are and will continue to be a threat, so I take them seriously. I have instructed my kids to answer "No" to any health care or school representative should they ask if we have any firearms in the house. I wouldn't put it past some sneaky turd to try this route.
    1MoreGoodGuy and Jeanlouise like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    All worthless drivel from an empty suit but....he and his kind are and will continue to be a threat, so I take them seriously. I have instructed my kids to answer "No" to any health care or school representative should they ask if we have any firearms in the house. I wouldn't put it past some sneaky turd to try this route.
    Good point...
    bigmacque likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Guys...It's called a slippery slope fallacy for a reason.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Nothing about "assault rifle" bans, or high capacity magazine bans was there? Sounds like a WIN to me.
    Swell, KBSR. What did we WIN?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    Guys...It's called a slippery slope fallacy for a reason.
    It's not a fallacy that too often in American history we have an erosion of rights. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Sponsored Links