List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An added summary of some of the things : What Are Obama's Gun Control Proposals? An Easy Guide - NationalJournal.com Here is a look at ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

An added summary of some of the things :

What Are Obama's Gun Control Proposals? An Easy Guide - NationalJournal.com

Here is a look at what Obama is proposing:

Assault Weapons Ban: Obama is seeking a reinstatement of an earlier federal ban, which expired in 2004. The original measure was signed by President Clinton in 1994, but Congress declined to renew it.

Limiting High-Capacity Ammunition Magazines: Advocates of a limit on high-capacity magazines believe it could slow down a shooter planning to carry out a massacre, such as the one at Sandy Hook. Obama’s proposal would limit these magazines to 10 bullets. Rep. Ron Barber, who was wounded in the Tucson, Ariz., shootings, is one of the advocates for this proposal.

Getting Rid of Armor-Piercing Bullets: Although it is illegal to manufacture and import armor-piercing bullets in the U.S., the president is sending legislation to Congress that will ban the possession and transfer of the ammunition.

Gun-Trafficking Law: A favorite of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a gun-control group with major backing from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, this measure would help prevent the trafficking of guns between states. This measure would make it easier for law enforcement officers to go after “strawmen” who buys guns for other people and transfer them across state lines.

Note ; this translates to no internet purchases of guns & shipped to an FFL in your state, buying in connecting states, etc..... and could be made to include ammunition.

Universal Background Checks: Anyone who buys a gun at a store, a gun show, or through other private sellers would have to go through a criminal background check before purchasing the weapon, under this legislative proposal. Senior White House officials said there would be exceptions for transfers between family members, however. The president will also direct the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to explain to licensed dealers how to best run background checks on potential buyers.

Tougher Background-Check System: Through executive action, the administration will give states $20 million in new incentives to share their information with a broader background-check system. The president will address legal barriers to reporting information that the White House has deemed unnecessary. The president will also ask federal agencies to update their records and make them available to the national background-check database.

Review of Prohibitions on Gun Ownership: The president will ask the attorney general to look into current laws that outline which people are prohibited from buying guns, and make appropriate recommendations to improve the system. Currently, felons and some persons with disabilities are not allowed to purchase weapons.

Nominate a New Head of the ATF: Obama will nominate Todd Jones as permanent head of the alcohol and firearms bureau. The agency has been without a congressionally confirmed director in six years. Jones is a U.S. attorney in Minnesota and has been serving as acting head of the ATF.

Gun-Violence Research: The president is seeking a resumption of research into gun violence by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through executive action. Congress halted the research because of lawmaker concerns that the agency was advocating for gun control. White House lawyers found that researching the cause of gun violence would not qualify as advocacy. The agency would be tasked with looking into the causes of gun violence, including a correlation between video games and violent behavior.

School Safety: The administration, through executive order, will allow local communities to use money under the “COPS” initiative — which is aimed at putting more police officers on the street — to hire “school resource officers” who could help improve safety in schools. The White House would also make more money available to cities and towns to allow them to hire more mental-health workers for schools. The administration will also work with schools to develop emergency plans that could help them become better equipped to respond to incidents such as a shooting.

Combating Bullying: Through the Health and Human Services Department, the administration will provide new resources aimed at reducing bullying.

Obamacare Regulations: The administration will develop regulations for the Affordable Care Act aimed at ensuring comprehensive care for mental-health problems. This would include putting money toward new social workers and psychologists.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    3. No where in these statements does it mention "gun registration."
    Not as such. The only reason to get doctors into the "gun interrogation" business is to get that information into a database aka registration. They'll ignore Obamacare's ban on gun databases just as they now ignore FOPA's ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    If the store closes or stops FFL for waht ever reason then they are required to turn all federal forms into BATF.
    They could cancel all FFLs and reissue them. Every 4473 in the country would have to be turned in, triggered by the cancellation, even if all FFLs stay in business because of their new license.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Truly scientific? This is the federal government we're talking about. Don't get your hopes up.
    The point you are missing is: these studies will be done by anti-gun groups, the statistics will be selected that shows guns are a problem, then the studies will be used as propaganda to push for more gun laws. You must think ahead on all these proposals, most are very bad.

This is simple to provide government money for propaganda!
    Pistology likes this.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    They could cancel all FFLs and reissue them. Every 4473 in the country would have to be turned in, triggered by the cancellation, even if all FFLs stay in business because of their new license.
    And ALL the records...

If the store closes or stops FFL for waht ever reason then they are required to turn all federal forms into BATF.
    Correct….

Then the records are put into storage. After 10 or 20 years, some or most of that data is obsolete and the gun(s) could have changed hands many times over. Not worth the effort to record. But…

If we had NEW registration/background check the data would be fresh and correct. A perfect plan when you think about it…complete with serial numbers.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Meh. The asking isn't invasion of privacy, per se. The demanding of it, though, would be. Such as, denying service unless a person submitted to answering such questions.
    Saying "none of your business" doesn't protect privacy. You have no way of knowing what your doctor actually puts in his records, and no way of stopping him if you did. Plenty of doctors are anti-gun (just as the AMA is), and I am certain that if you say "none of your business" you WILL get flagged as a gun owner by your doctor, perhaps with some commentary on your belligerence.
    DRM likes this.

California currently requires that any firearm held by law enforcement only be released upon proof of ownership (some departments are strict, did you keep your receipt from 20 years ago?), payment of a fee, a background check, and an unknown amount of time (the department can drag it out for months). As you can see, this idea is already being practiced in the wild.

I guess I'm not clear on him wanting to ban any gun with >10 round magazines. How would that work? Is that done state by state and who would vote on it? I have to admit that I'm a noob when it comes to the politics and how certain things get passed.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
    Don't like the one about Doctors asking patients about guns in the home. This is a blatant invasion of privacy.
    Don't know about you, but my memory gets hazy at the doctors office sometimes........
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Under what provision on the Constitution? If they go interstate commerce it will be in the courts for a long time.

A gun safe would have allowed Nancy Lanza to at least wake up. As far as anything else, background checks or whatever wouldn't have done squat to help at Sandy Hook. A lot of times I have read about kids taking guns to school. I would suggest the parents make the kid drag the hole safe there.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    A gun safe would have allowed Nancy Lanza to at least wake up.
    Speculative at best. Far too many ways for her to end up dead whether or not she has a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I do not believe you have spent much time dealing with US regulatory agencies.

Also, the system you have detialed would do nothing to get guns out of the hands of crimnals unless they were already caught for another reason. So there is no reason for the change.
    Of course it won't get the guns out of the hands of the criminals. Who here actually thinks that would EVER happen with legislation? What it DOES do, is derail attempts to create a database of LAWFUL gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Well, I read #4 again and I dont see these^^^words anywhere in there. So on that, we can agree to disagree. I apologize, but I'm not sure how the rest of your post fits into the current conversation.
    I read it here: "Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun."

"Prohibited" here is past tense. As in, those who are already prohibited from owning guns. Thus, those who the law doesn't already disallow. It doesn't make for new prohibitions. As for the rest of the post - any new prohibitions would have to come through congress, not by Executive fiat.

So, who is the president describing by those who are individuals prohibited from having a gun"? That is when I said, if it was any other president, I'd say it'd be those involved in the drug wars south of the border. Because those drug wars are finding their way into California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Chicago, Omaha, etc. etc. Hence, those are the ones that are already prohibited, and should be focused on.

Hope that clarifies.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links