List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan - Page 12

List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Richard58 If the store closes or stops FFL for waht ever reason then they are required to turn all federal forms into ...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    If the store closes or stops FFL for waht ever reason then they are required to turn all federal forms into BATF.
    And a lot of retiring FFL's seem to retire because all of a sudden they had a big fire in the store that destroyed all their records. So, they don't renew their FFL after that and low and behold, they don't have any records to turn into the ATF.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I read it here: "Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun."

"Prohibited" here is past tense. As in, those who are already prohibited from owning guns. Thus, those who the law doesn't already disallow. It doesn't make for new prohibitions. As for the rest of the post - any new prohibitions would have to come through congress, not by Executive fiat.

So, who is the president describing by those who are individuals prohibited from having a gun"? That is when I said, if it was any other president, I'd say it'd be those involved in the drug wars south of the border. Because those drug wars are finding their way into California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Chicago, Omaha, etc. etc. Hence, those are the ones that are already prohibited, and should be focused on.

Hope that clarifies.
    Yea, and "review" and "slipping through the cracks" say to me "who are we missing" as in future tense. You read it your way and I read what it really says, how 'bout that!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanbo View Post
    Agreed, and I'll tell my doc to go **** himself if/when he asks. And instruct my children to give a more polite, but same, answer.
    I understand your anger about this but if/when it becomes a law requiring health care workers to ask this question they will have to ask you that whether they feel comfortable doing so or not. All records are on the EMR system now. If that question is left blank and it's a LAW that it be answered the doctor or nurse taking your history will be held liable. Can you imagine what it will be like for them if the patient isn't asked about guns in the home and then commits a crime with a gun? Or their child does? Also, as was mentioned before, the doctor and hospital probably won't be paid due to incomplete records.

Obamacare regulations will have the biggest chokehold on our rights than any other government program ever implimented. It will control everything. It's a monster. Look how the President is already tying laws into that have nothing to do with healthcare...and he hasn't even been inagurated yet.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Saying "none of your business" doesn't protect privacy. You have no way of knowing what your doctor actually puts in his records, and no way of stopping him if you did. Plenty of doctors are anti-gun (just as the AMA is), and I am certain that if you say "none of your business" you WILL get flagged as a gun owner by your doctor, perhaps with some commentary on your belligerence.
    Get a copy of your medical records--they are your records after all. For doctor to mark "yes" to gun ownership if you say no or NOYB would be falsifying your medical records. Paranoia runs deep...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    JeanLouise knows what she is saying here: an LPN or RN will do what they are required to do to protect that license.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Sponsor

Exclamation Quotes from his speech:

“We will make it easier to keep guns out of the hands of criminals by strengthening the background check system.”

“These are a few of the 23 executive actions that I’m announcing today. But as important as these steps are, they are in no way a substitute for action from members of Congress. To make a real and lasting difference, Congress, too, must act — and Congress must act soon. And I’m calling on Congress to pass some very specific proposals right away.”

“First: It’s time for Congress to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun. (Applause.) The law already requires licensed gun dealers to run background checks, and over the last 14 years that’s kept 1.5 million of the wrong people from getting their hands on a gun. But it’s hard to enforce that law when as many as 40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted without a background check. That’s not safe. That’s not smart. It’s not fair to responsible gun buyers or sellers.

Second: Congress should restore a ban on military-style assault weapons, and a 10-round limit for magazines. (Applause.) The type of assault rifle used in Aurora, for example, when paired with high-capacity magazines, has one purpose — to pump out as many bullets as possible, as quickly as possible; to do as much damage, using bullets often designed to inflict maximum damage.”

”If it were, we’d already have universal background checks. The ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines never would have been allowed to expire.”

“Ask your member of Congress if they support universal background checks to keep guns out of the wrong hands. Ask them if they support renewing a ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines."
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Please let me know how the no private sales without a manditory background check will work. Let's assume that you purchased a gun in a F2F transaction last year. Now, let's assume that for whatever reason a cop checks that gun a year from now. How will you prove that you legally purchased the gun? There has to be registration for enforcement this law to work. They have to have the baseline. Forget about innocent until proven guilty, like so many police departments today, they are going to demand that you provide proof of ownership and proof of the date of transfer or you will not only loose your gun, you may well go to jail.

Sorry, I see this different than you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I actually answered it above. You have a national database of those who are not allowed to own weapons due to court action. When you sell a gun, you call in with the information and get a code, basically exactly like the FFL system now. Then you're required to hold on to that code for 7 years. No where does it mandate "proving" that you bought the gun legally. That's something that's being drummed up, but I don't see it happening.

However, even if it did - you simply provide a copy of the form that has the approval code you and the seller wrote in when it was called in for approval. No need for a database. That's just one way of doing it.
    I am not sure we are on the same page here. In the bolded sections, we are contemplating a perfectly legal, but undocumented transaction that took place in 2012. You seem to think that if asked, either the seller or buyer could produce a document from the government showing this sale was approved. Good luck with that.

The only way to ensure that all gun sales from X date forward are approved by the US Government (and not all will be), is to have a registry of who owns what as of that date. I know that you don't like this logic, but there is no other way to know that all sales go through a background check.

It seems that you may be one of those people who actually believe it when the IRS agent comes in and says "Hi, I am from the government, I am here to help." I am not one of those people. Neither were the FF.
    TX expat and OD* like this.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by MACC12 View Post
    I

Answer: no guns in my house, hate guns, they scare me
    It's like I told my family last night, just tell the doctor, "that's none of your business."
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Discussed some of this with my wife last night. Told her if any doctor asks her about guns in the home to tell the doc that it's none of his/her f#@*%@g.

The other question - "Do you feel safe in your own home"? - she's free to answer.

Al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post
    Discussed some of this with my wife last night. Told her if any doctor asks her about guns in the home to tell the doc that it's none of his/her f#@*%@g.

The other question - "Do you feel safe in your own home"? - she's free to answer.

Al
    The second question is asked because there are many reasons why someone might feel unsafe in their own home--
    anything from a physically abusive drunk son, to an inability to get help after a fall. It is a reasonable
    question to ask, especially of women and the elderly, of the very poor too. Sometimes these problems
    can be sorted out with simple solutions, and sometimes the answer might reveal a mental health problem residing
    in the patient, for example an answer may indicate paranoia. I see nothing wrong with the second question.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post

Al
    Told my wife basically the same thing. She will say "I don't know" because she doesn't know how many I have at any one time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    It's like I told my family last night, just tell the doctor, "that's none of your business."
    IMO, I'm thinking the best response is "Nope." If you say, "that's none of your business", I can see some docs marking you in the affirmative along with a comment about you being secretive about owning them....might put a red flag on yourself.

VIP Member
    When I'm asked that question I plan to answer, "no".

Don't kill the messenger. The doctor probably doesn't want to ask that any more than you want to answer it.
    Take your anger to the source of this debacle.
    OD* and TX expat like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Speculative at best. Far too many ways for her to end up dead whether or not she has a safe.
    OK, So if he dropped a piano on her head he could then take it to school to drop it 20 more times.
    We don't need more gun laws, we need more gun safes.
    Most if not all of the kids with weapons would find it difficult to drag a safe to school. Parents wise up and start being responsible for your weapon AT ALL TIMES.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    When I'm asked that question I plan to answer, "no".

Don't kill the messenger. The doctor probably doesn't want to ask that any more than you want to answer it.
    Take your anger to the source of this debacle.
    I"m with you. I'm going with the 'lie for my own safety' mindset.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Sponsored Links