List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan - Page 13

List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DannyB1954 OK, So if he dropped a piano on her head he could then take it to school to drop it 20 ...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    OK, So if he dropped a piano on her head he could then take it to school to drop it 20 more times.
    Gun safes prevent deception and coercion? News to me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I"m with you. I'm going with the 'lie for my own safety' mindset.
    Yeah, it's not as if you're sworn to tell the truth. It's not a courtroom.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Yeah, it's not as if you're sworn to tell the truth. It's not a courtroom.
    True, until Obama instructs DoJ to prosecute that as either insurance fraud or obtaining government benefits (Obamacare) through misrepresentation. You and I wouldn't think it material, but a jury might. He only needs a few to be made examples of. Plus, who knows what additional traps like that are in Obamacare.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I am not sure we are on the same page here. In the bolded sections, we are contemplating a perfectly legal, but undocumented transaction that took place in 2012. You seem to think that if asked, either the seller or buyer could produce a document from the government showing this sale was approved. Good luck with that.

The only way to ensure that all gun sales from X date forward are approved by the US Government (and not all will be), is to have a registry of who owns what as of that date. I know that you don't like this logic, but there is no other way to know that all sales go through a background check.

It seems that you may be one of those people who actually believe it when the IRS agent comes in and says "Hi, I am from the government, I am here to help." I am not one of those people. Neither were the FF.
    The problem I have with that logic is that it is very assumptive. You are working on the assumption that there IS or WILL BE a national registry. Now, there might be, there might not be. What we have HERE, however, does not equate to such a registry. Why do I harp on that? Because this is what I foresee:

1. Gun owners will get all up in arms about registries and the like.

2. Gun restriction advocates will smile about it, and happily point out that they are not talking about registries.

3. In doing so, they will work to marginalize every single person that is speaking about it, getting to the point where the general public is tired of hearing about registries.

4. When that happens, they will name the actual system of registry that is planned, something else. We'll get all up in arms again, but this time, no one will care because we've already been marginalized.

In other words - we must fight what is there NOW, instead of what we think is there, or what we read into being there. It is exactly like being in a court of law. You can't say "Their intention was" because you have no idea what the intention was. All you can do is provide evidence of what they are actually doing, and why what they are actually doing is wrong. Anything outside of that, and we lose the argument before it even begins, IMO. That's the problem I have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Yea, and "review" and "slipping through the cracks" say to me "who are we missing" as in future tense. You read it your way and I read what it really says, how 'bout that!
    OF course it does, but it also means in the future, they find out who they should have already had in the past under current law. That's the issue. You read into it, and I'll read it for it's meaning, how 'bout that!

(I took your last line as being humorous - and intended mine the same).

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Gun safes prevent deception and coercion? News to me.
    Not one single solution is going to remedy all situations. How many children have taken a gun out of the house with permission?
    In many places now if a child hurts themselves with a loaded weapon, the parents are charged with childhood endangerment for letting the kid get their hands on it. So if the kid hurts someone else, why are the parents not responsible?
    Sure you can say I told the kid not to touch it, but how well has this really worked?

The vast majority of school shootings could have been prevented with a gun safe. Leave dynamite and matches laying around and see what happens. bedside safes that open quickly are not that expensive.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Yesterday, I read an article that stated that President Obama did not sign any excutive orders, they were all presidential memoranda. Which means it was nothing more than a fancy to-do list.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    The vast majority of school shootings could have been prevented with a gun safe.
    Source of your statistics? I don't know whether that statement is true or false but one thing is certain - stating things like this without data to support it is just regurgitating the anti-gunners propaganda. I'm all for being safe and I do keep MOST of my guns in a gun safe and I would go further if my kids weren't as old as they are and as familiar with them. But making generalized statements is really not helpful.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Sponsored Links