List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; the biggest issue I see is allowing health care providers to ask questions about guns in the home and report their findings to authorities if ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    the biggest issue I see is allowing health care providers to ask questions about guns in the home and report their findings to authorities if they desire. This bothers me. Another big brother.
    pittypat21 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Isn't #12 the NRA's good guy with a gun proposal???
    #12 doesn't say anything about arming anybody. Just providing training for a scenario. So, while it sounds well and good, it isn't the good guy with a gun proposal.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2, 14, & 16 will bother the ACLU.

Releasing patient records to a law enforcement agency
    will certainly tick the legal rights folks off.
    Pistology likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I agree the CDC Eo and the one to clarify the Obamacare rules about doctors asking about guns in the home are the two I am worried about.

I do think we have a good chance of defeating the legilsative propsals.
    Simple, don't answer the question. Will still have the 5 th Amendment.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Isn't #12 the NRA's good guy with a gun proposal???
    #12 sounds like training for officers to deal with a school shooting.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    #18 sounds like the one that the NRA suggested. But it's OK when someone else is suggesting it.
    FreeFalling likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I agree that these aren't as bad as I was expecting, and that is what has me concerned. Now he can say "Look gun owners. What I want isn't so bad.", lulling people into complacency. He's trying to kill the tiger with ants, one little bite at a time.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Quote Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
    Don't like the one about Doctors asking patients about guns in the home. This is a blatant invasion of privacy.
    With a national background check system, shouldn't the Feds already know this information? And I totally agree. This will probably affect your insurance and other related services.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I'm concerned with the universal background check system.

1) This will equate to a national registration of firearms.
    2) What happens if someone has possession of a gun that is not in the national database? Will this be a crime? What if a family member borrows a firearm, or has one in their car, etc. Would they then be committing a crime?
    3) Can firearms that are "banned" be passed down to another family member? (Assuming a ban passes - I doubt and hope it would).
    I am not sure I am following you. I have read a few different accounts of his directives and the only thing I have heard on background checks would be that the same background check being used now would be applied to all gun purchases, specifically requiring private sales to use a dealer as a middle man. How would that equate to a registration?
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Part of the mental health issue concerns me, what ever questions are being asked by the medical community, how do you know what is being written down. ( Whos watching the watchers ). It is none of there business if I own a gun or not. That has nothing to do with getting my cholestrol checked...

VIP Member
    Here are my thoughts.

1. Violates HIPPA
    2. Amends HIPPA – a law passed by Congress. Does BO have the authority to do this?
    3. Don’t have a problem. Could have stopped VA Tech and Aurora.
    4. Big time issues with this one.
    5. Does not sound like a deal breaker. If you are not eligible to own it now, why should it get returned? BUT, what keeps the cops from going around confiscating guns then making you do a background check – for which you will likely have to pay? Not in favor of this one.
    6. If they are going to do it, they need a procedure. Not a fan of the universal background checks, but of all the items here, it is the least objectionable.
    7. No idea what this is. Sounds like a waste of money.
    8. May or may not be an issue. Depends on if older safes are grandfathered.
    9. I thought they did this already.
    10. Not sure what is in the report.
    11. He blamed congress, sounds like he is just not going to nominate a candidate. Congress cannot act on a non-identified candidate. I doubt we will like the candidate.
    12. No brainer. Should have been happening all along.
    13. I thought government was already responsible for enforcing its laws. What have we been paying for?
    14. Waste of money with a predictable outcome.
    15. What does challenge mean – prompt or mandate? Not a big fan here. If your gun can only be shot by you, what happens if you spouse needs to use it or you are injured so it cannot recognize you?
    16. Ignore your doc when he asks.
    17. Cleverly worded. This is not just your primary care doc, but it is trying to breach privilege for shrinks. Will drive people from seeking the help they need.
    18. Why not just provide the funding – oh yeah, we are broke. Great idea, but the teachers are already in the schools – train and use them.
    19. Sounds like a good idea. Could save lots of money if each location does not have to do their own plan from scratch.
    20. Why is this ambiguous? How is the system working now? Is the system working now? What are we paying for?
    21. Not all states are setting up the ACA exchanges (state health insurance market – sort of). What is parity in this case?
    22. What the heck is mental health parity?
    23. Isn’t Duncan the head of the Department of Education? So he and Sebelius are going to talk. Well, it all they do is talk, I guess that is probably the best use of the time we are paying for because if they act, it will be likely they will do something idiotic.
    bigsky109 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    watch this question pop up on forms related to healthcare and insurance in the future: do you or anyone in your residence own a firearm?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    25. Ban Lady Gaga's gun bra.
    Heck, just ban Lady Gaga (or Lady Gag Me as she is known in our neck of the woods).
    phreddy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I love this one:

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

So he is admitting that the government currently does not maximize enforcement efforts to reduce crime?
    bigsky109 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Simple, don't answer the question. Will still have the 5 th Amendment.
    I do agree, but the 5th only applies in court.
    If asked I would just say no.

Quote Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
    Don't like the one about Doctors asking patients about guns in the home. This is a blatant invasion of privacy.
    I

Answer: no guns in my house, hate guns, they scare me
    eeeZnow likes this.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links