List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan - Page 5

List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by cj Actually not as aggressive as I'd expected, but lots of slippery slopes in there... Yep, always beware fo the slippery slopes, ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Actually not as aggressive as I'd expected, but lots of slippery slopes in there...
    Yep, always beware fo the slippery slopes, the fine print and legal mumbo jumbo.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I agree the CDC Eo and the one to clarify the Obamacare rules about doctors asking about guns in the home are the two I am worried about.

I do think we have a good chance of defeating the legilsative propsals.
    Ditto to all this. I will not comply if my doc asks about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    The comments on this forum? How so? Everyone has an opinion on any given subject and in their opinion what action to take and everyone has a right to state an opinion just as you have the right to question their opinion.
    Nope! The comments on the article. Have you read them?
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Doctors can ask all they want...I still have the right to rain silent...for now...
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
    1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    HEARTBURN: Way beyond big brother; we don’t need Federal Agencies tracking info on private citizens.
    2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    HEARTBURN: Not the Feds business.
    3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    FLUFF: pretty meaningless actually.
    4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    FLUFF: impractical.
    5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    HEARTBURN: what constitutes a seized gun? Removed from my person at a traffic stop?
    6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    HEARTBURN. We don’t need background checks instituted for private sales.
    7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    FLUFF
    8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    FLUFF
    9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    FLUFF: actually. Many, many dead-ends will cause federal law enforcement agencies to stop doing this.
    10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
    FLUFF: just trying to give Holder something to do.
    11. Nominate an ATF director.
    FLUFF: though I do scoff at his suggestion that the problem has been Congress.
    12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
    NEITHER: but a little fluffy, something that no one should disagree with.
    13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    FLUFF: he means he’s going push to enforce laws already on the books.
    14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    FLUFF: CDC? C’mon, have you ever heard anything of real value come from CDC?
    15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
    FLUFF: some of this I wouldn’t mind seeing myself.
    16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
    FLUFF: First, I’m not subject to the ACA since I hold private insurance, second I’ll just tell my doctor to perform anatomically impossible sex with himself.
    17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    FLUFF: I’ve run health care institutions for thirty years now; the decision to report or not to report rests with the caregiver, always has, and will get reported or not based on their decision.
    18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    NEITHER: but from this perspective fluffy. Not a bad idea at all.
    19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    NEITHER: but again, from a perspective of what he said really amounts to an issue, so what? A little fluffy.
    20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    FLUFF: Of course this should be clarified, big deal you coming out and saying this Barry.
    21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
    HEARTBURN: the stupid ACA needs to go away, period.
    22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations
    FLUFF: duh.
    23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
    FLUFF: duh-er.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    the fine print and legal mumbo jumbo.
    That's what I'm afraid of. It's the stuff listed between the lines that we have to be concerned with.
    Pistology likes this.

Even though this list doesn't seem very serious in and of itself, I agree that it is a slippery slope and I guarantee it will add to the larger, endless theme in our country today: the uninhibited growth of government and bureaucracy on all levels and our growing government debt.

At Least $4.5 Billion in New Spending for Gun Control

And what luck, I am the perfect age to spend the next 40 years of my life funding it and its failures and inefficiencies.
    Pistology likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
    1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    HEARTBURN: Way beyond big brother; we don’t need Federal Agencies tracking info on private citizens.
    2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    HEARTBURN: Not the Feds business.
    3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    FLUFF: pretty meaningless actually.
    4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    FLUFF: impractical.
    5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    HEARTBURN: what constitutes a seized gun? Removed from my person at a traffic stop?
    6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    HEARTBURN. We don’t need background checks instituted for private sales.
    7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    FLUFF
    8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    FLUFF
    9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    FLUFF: actually. Many, many dead-ends will cause federal law enforcement agencies to stop doing this.
    10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
    FLUFF: just trying to give Holder something to do.
    11. Nominate an ATF director.
    FLUFF: though I do scoff at his suggestion that the problem has been Congress.
    12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
    NEITHER: but a little fluffy, something that no one should disagree with.
    13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    FLUFF: he means he’s going push to enforce laws already on the books.
    14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    FLUFF: CDC? C’mon, have you ever heard anything of real value come from CDC?
    15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
    FLUFF: some of this I wouldn’t mind seeing myself.
    16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
    FLUFF: First, I’m not subject to the ACA since I hold private insurance, second I’ll just tell my doctor to perform anatomically impossible sex with himself.
    17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    FLUFF: I’ve run health care institutions for thirty years now; the decision to report or not to report rests with the caregiver, always has, and will get reported or not based on their decision.
    18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    NEITHER: but from this perspective fluffy. Not a bad idea at all.
    19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    NEITHER: but again, from a perspective of what he said really amounts to an issue, so what? A little fluffy.
    20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    FLUFF: Of course this should be clarified, big deal you coming out and saying this Barry.
    21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
    HEARTBURN: the stupid ACA needs to go away, period.
    22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations
    FLUFF: duh.
    23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
    FLUFF: duh-er.
    I don't think it's necessarily wise to write any of it off as fluff. Take #8 for example. It sounds fairly innocent but what if they found that all guns should remain secure and ammunition should remain secure in a separate locked container? Then down the road they create and try to enforce a law saying that you have to have some sort of 'security' check, similar to your vehicle inspection where your environment is approved for gun ownership? Or how about if they find that all firearms should have some advanced biometric locks to ensure safety.

I realize it's somewhat far fetched, but it's not necessarily about what it says, it's about what it might promote in the future.
    BigStick and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Well, I do understand where you're coming from TX expat and you are correct. But I think some of what he said is FLUFF because it's things they'll never get around to in under his administration .... and #8 is, IMHO, one of those.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Alright, I've avoided it, because they support some truly repellent candidates, but I joined the NRA.
    TX expat and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Well, I do understand where you're coming from TX expat and you are correct. But I think some of what he said is FLUFF because it's things they'll never get around to in under his administration .... and #8 is, IMHO, one of those.
    Yeah, I just see everything as an inroad to get their hooks into something. I don't think it's ever a good idea to turn your back on a politician because they almost never act on anything without their agenda in mind.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Because in the process of checking the background, the ATF will require the serial number of the firearm that is changing hands. Do you think they would really allow me to check the background of a person and sell them 30 guns on the spot? No. It is not going to work that way.
    Well obviously they would require a serial number, just like with any purchase, but it doesn't currently go into some huge database, it just sits with the FFL dealer.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Nothing about "assault rifle" bans, or high capacity magazine bans was there? Sounds like a WIN to me.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Administrator
    I'll just bet my boot straps that the above list is not the first list but, that it is the revised list that is being put out now after certain brave folks in Congress went on record stating that they would begin the impeachment process against him if any of his executive orders tromped on the 2nd Amendment.
    He is not a stupid man and do not believe (for one single minute) that the people that surround him are stupid either.
    They will unceasingly push the Gun Rights envelope as far as they think they can push it and then they will fall back.

Remember...two steps forward ~ one step back ~ etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Nothing about "assault rifle" bans, or high capacity magazine bans was there? Sounds like a WIN to me.
    I agree it could've been worse. AWB won't pass congress, and BHO can say he tried. Pretty smooth politically. Still, that doctor nonsense...Glad I have insurance through work and won't have to navigate Obamacare...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links