List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MidlifeinMI #18 School Resource Officers...So who is this and do they carry? We have those officers in NC schools now and they ...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeinMI View Post
    #18 School Resource Officers...So who is this and do they carry?
    We have those officers in NC schools now and they r the county sheriff deputy's. They do work out good. My wife is a teacher and she likes them being there.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

2. Remove Ads

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    Can you say "National Database"?

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    I am already a safe and responsible gun owner.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    Why? Is there a problem with existing gun locks and gun safes that no one is telling us about?

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    Great, a memo to tell federal law enforcement officials to continue to do their jobs just like they have been doing.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
    OK. I guessing we still won't have any information on the "fast and furious" guns that they lost.

11. Nominate an ATF director.
    OK

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
    OK

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    I really don't like the way that sounds...what exactly does it mean to "maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence"?

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    Really? What "causes" gun violence? Who wants to bet that the CDC will claim the cause is "guns" and the "prevention" is "banning guns".

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
    What exactly does that mean? What qualifications does the Attorney General have that makes him an authority on the most effective use of new gun safety technologies?

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
    How can he "clarify" that the law, as written in the Affordable Care Act, is not the law? He does not have the authority.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    But doing so will violate doctor patient confidentiality.
    Patient: "Hey Doc that new medication you put me on is giving me some very weird dreams and might be affecting the way I think."
    Doc: "What kind of dreams and thought problems are you having?"
    Patient: "My dreams are violent and I'm having trouble making decisions."
    Doc: "Wait right here while I report you to the authorities."

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    Why are bribes necessary?

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    Sounds just like #12 on the list but applying it to other places.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    Why? Hasn't this already been clarified?

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
    He doesn't have the authority to "finalize regulations" regarding "essential health benefits and parity requirements".

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    Didn't he just cover that in #21?

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
    A national dialogue?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by tdw63 View Post
    Don't like the one about Doctors asking patients about guns in the home. This is a blatant invasion of privacy.
    Welcome to the new America! We the people are allowing this slope to continue.
    Pistology likes this.

Don't like the one about Doctors asking patients about guns in the home. This is a blatant invasion of privacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MACC12 View Post
    I

Answer: no guns in my house, hate guns, they scare me
    Your permanent file will read: "Patient lies and can not be trusted. Patient has anger issues and has irrational fears of inanimate objects. Patient may be a danger to himself or others."

Translation: "No guns for you!"
    DRM likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    FLUFF: CDC? C’mon, have you ever heard anything of real value come from CDC?
    I personally found the zombie preparedness articles very helpful.

CDC - Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response: Zombies
    bigmacque and Lish like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

It looks like he just negated the clause the NRA got placed in Obamacare restricting healthcare officials, insurance companies and doctors from asking intrusive questions regarding gun ownership and how you store them, and turning that information over to the government.
    Pistology likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Well obviously they would require a serial number, just like with any purchase, but it doesn't currently go into some huge database, it just sits with the FFL dealer.
    Actually, the ATF keeps it all on record. So, essentially, yes, it does go to a database.
    Pistology likes this.

VIP Member
    Yeah, the CDC used to "study" how the availability of firearms leads to firearm violence. Like the firearm compels people to pick it up and use it in some evil or insidious ways.

The NRA got it squashed a while back because they saw the writing on the wall. The CDC wasn't looking into what made people violent, it simply tied guns to gun violence. Well no ****. Guns are sort an essential leg of "gun" violence. Automobiles are an essential leg of drunk driving, but nobody is studying the automobile as the cause of it.
    thephanatik likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Actually, the ATF keeps it all on record. So, essentially, yes, it does go to a database.
    The BATF does not receive, to the best of my recollection, any serial number information during their NICS check.

FFLs, can someone chime in and confirm?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Speech transcript here:Transcript: Obama announces gun violence agenda ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

AWB section:
    "Second: Congress should restore a ban on military-style assault weapons, and a 10-round limit for magazines. (Applause.) The type of assault rifle used in Aurora, for example, when paired with high-capacity magazines, has one purpose - to pump out as many bullets as possible, as quickly as possible; to do as much damage, using bullets often designed to inflict maximum damage."
    Pistology likes this.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

I'm concerned with the universal background check system.

1) This will equate to a national registration of firearms.
    2) What happens if someone has possession of a gun that is not in the national database? Will this be a crime? What if a family member borrows a firearm, or has one in their car, etc. Would they then be committing a crime?
    3) Can firearms that are "banned" be passed down to another family member? (Assuming a ban passes - I doubt and hope it would).

...still thinking about other issues, but you get my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    So...if my dad wanted to give me one of his firearms we would have to find an FFL to do it?
    Also, when he dies(not soon I hope) and my brother and I are settling his estate, what do we do then?
    Right now this is speculation but...

Yes and you will have to buy it. I believe "gifting" will not be permitted.

Firearms will not be transferable as part of an estate...they will have to be turned in so that they can be destroyed.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Re: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It looks like he just negated the clause the NRA got placed in Obamacare restricting healthcare officials, insurance companies and doctors from asking intrusive questions regarding gun ownership and how you store them, and turning that information over to the government.
    I disagree, it looks to me like he is clarifying the rule. There is nothing compelling a doctor to ask, or the patient to answer. The language of the EO simply makes it clear it is "ok" to ask. Don't like it, switch doctors or tell your doctor you think the queztion is out of line. Of course, you could also just answer no the the question "do you own firearms."

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    The BATF does not receive, to the best of my recollection, any serial number information during their NICS check.

Just posted this in another thread. Look at "Section D".
    http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

I also noticed that FOX NEWSstated that this is going to cost us taxpayers $500 MILLION to implement?! Where did we get the money if we are BROKE?
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post

The record stays with the Gun Dealer. No recorded serial numbers at the ATF on computer..

But that may have just changed. We don't know, because the "one liners" on the list of orders are vague.

Like health care, "we won't know what's in it until we pass it."
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links