List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

This is a discussion on List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Martial Archer I apologize in advance for not reading every post in this thread before replying so if I'm beating a dead ...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 188
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan

  1. #121
    Senior Member Array Jemsaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    az
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    I apologize in advance for not reading every post in this thread before replying so if I'm beating a dead horse, forgive me. But...

    I read several comments stating something to the effect of, "Well, that's not too bad". To that I say yea, it's much worse than that.

    If this....

    "Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

    doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will. Exactly who is the esteemed AG going to deem "dangerous" and thereby prohibit from having guns?
    No one that the law doesn't now already disallow - that would have to go through congress and could easily be defeated in the SC. If it was any other president, I'd say illegal immigrants involved in the drug war south of the border. I doubt he means that here however.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #122
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    We have those officers in NC schools now and they r the county sheriff deputy's. They do work out good. My wife is a teacher and she likes them being there.
    They work well enough, but the problem is that they are not at the pointy end of the spear. In our HS, we have 1 resource officer. The campus has 5 buildings on it and a couple of those are 2 stories. The RO is in a single place. If the balloon goes up 2 buildings away, he is at least 1 minute away running full tilt. The teacher is already there.

    The teacher training option is cheaper and, IMHO, would be more effective. Nothing agains the RO, but he is only where he is.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  4. #123
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It looks like he just negated the clause the NRA got placed in Obamacare restricting healthcare officials, insurance companies and doctors from asking intrusive questions regarding gun ownership and how you store them, and turning that information over to the government.
    Well, as emporer, he is above the law...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  5. #124
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    3. No where in these statements does it mention "gun registration." If we start yelling and screaming about gun registration out of this set of proposals, all it will do is make us look like we're reactionary, and that will turn the average person against us because they will not want to side with reactionaries. Sure, we can argue that his proposal is reactionary, but it's a lost argument on the average person.
    Please let me know how the no private sales without a manditory background check will work. Let's assume that you purchased a gun in a F2F transaction last year. Now, let's assume that for whatever reason a cop checks that gun a year from now. How will you prove that you legally purchased the gun? There has to be registration for enforcement this law to work. They have to have the baseline. Forget about innocent until proven guilty, like so many police departments today, they are going to demand that you provide proof of ownership and proof of the date of transfer or you will not only loose your gun, you may well go to jail.

    Sorry, I see this different than you do.
    phreddy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  6. #125
    Member Array WINTEJER000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa, USA
    Posts
    316

    Here Are The 23 Executive Actions That Obama Is Taking Immediately

    From a White House factsheet, via The NYT, here are the 23 "executive actions" that Obama will take to reduce gun violence.

    For full coverage of Obama's announcement today, see here.

    There's very little in this part that will be too big or controversial. It's very small bore regulatory stuff.

    For the full list of legal proposals, see here.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




    Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:

    1.Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

    2.Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

    3.Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

    4.Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

    5.Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

    6.Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

    7.Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

    8.Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

    9.Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

    10.Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

    11.Nominate an ATF director.

    12.Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

    13.Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

    14.Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

    15.Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

    16.Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

    17.Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

    18.Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

    19.Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

    20.Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

    21.Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

    22.Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

    23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.



    Read more: Obama's Executive Actions On Gun Control - Business Insider

    some of these seem pointless and other are over reaching IMHO.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

  7. #126
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    If this....

    "Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

    doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will. Exactly who is the esteemed AG going to deem "dangerous" and thereby prohibit from having guns?
    Exactly.

    It's little different than the might-never-issue arbitrary situations we've got in far too many states, in which showing "good and sufficient need" somehow doesn't get fulfilled when a person wants to protect life and limb. As if that's not sufficient cause. By what standard?

    And that's exactly the point: it's a no-standards, no-accountability form of restriction ahead of crimes ever having occurred. Whatever happened to Due Process? We're not the nation of pre-crime; we're the nation of Liberty ... as in, give me liberty or give me death ... as in, don't tread on me. At least we were. We still can be. If only we FIGHT to the last breath to retain what's being wrested from our hands.
    Pistology likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #127
    VIP Member
    Array TX expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,666
    Already have 9 pages of that running here

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ence-plan.html
    NRA Life Member

    "I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

  9. #128
    Member Array WINTEJER000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa, USA
    Posts
    316
    sorry i looked and couldn't find it
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

  10. #129
    VIP Member
    Array Richard58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte area of North Carolina
    Posts
    2,010
    If the store closes or stops FFL for waht ever reason then they are required to turn all federal forms into BATF.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

  11. #130
    Member Array Martial Archer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    455
    Furthermore, Mrs. Martial Archer works in healthcare. She would like to make a few comments about those executive orders so I'm turning her loose....

    (#16) "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes". The information your doctor collects, his assessments and procedures are all broken down into codes and submitted on an insurance claim form. Even if you have no insurance, the data is still coded and transmitted. Insurance carriers like Medicare and Medicaid require certain codes on a claim before they will pay the healthcare provider. Meaning that your gun ownership status collected by the doctor could be coded and required before the doctor is paid. Also collected on that claim are mental health diagnosis and reasons for prescribing medications. The government isn’t going to require you to register your gun; your doctor is going to do it for them.

    (#2) Part of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guarantees that your private healthcare information will be kept private except as necessary to get paid or to give to your next provider of care. So what are the "Unnecessary" barriers that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system? Could this mean that if you are taking anti- anxiety meds like Prozac, this shows up in your back ground check? And if so then...(#4)would you then fall into the Attorney General category of "dangerous" individuals prohibited from having a gun?

    (#21) How could regulations of health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges/Obama Care Health Care Exchanges, i.e. the giant database in the cloud play into this?

    (#3) Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. Could this be accomplished by throwing more money to the states to help fund the unfunded mandates in Obama Care?

    While for many, Obama's executive orders may sound "reasonable", this could potentially be the biggest intrusion of the government into your personal life!

    And when did violence become a disease? (#14)
    Pistology and Jeanlouise like this.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

  12. #131
    Member Array Clodbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    205
    I'm late to the party here but a lot of this seems vague, as in intentionally vague. Other posters have mentioned "slippery slopes" and I think that's exactly the intent with a few, if not many, of these orders.
    Pistology likes this.

  13. #132
    Senior Member Array Jemsaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    az
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Please let me know how the no private sales without a manditory background check will work. Let's assume that you purchased a gun in a F2F transaction last year. Now, let's assume that for whatever reason a cop checks that gun a year from now. How will you prove that you legally purchased the gun? There has to be registration for enforcement this law to work. They have to have the baseline. Forget about innocent until proven guilty, like so many police departments today, they are going to demand that you provide proof of ownership and proof of the date of transfer or you will not only loose your gun, you may well go to jail.

    Sorry, I see this different than you do.
    I actually answered it above. You have a national database of those who are not allowed to own weapons due to court action. When you sell a gun, you call in with the information and get a code, basically exactly like the FFL system now. Then you're required to hold on to that code for 7 years. No where does it mandate "proving" that you bought the gun legally. That's something that's being drummed up, but I don't see it happening.

    However, even if it did - you simply provide a copy of the form that has the approval code you and the seller wrote in when it was called in for approval. No need for a database. That's just one way of doing it.

  14. #133
    VIP Member Array cmdrdredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I actually answered it above. You have a national database of those who are not allowed to own weapons due to court action. When you sell a gun, you call in with the information and get a code, basically exactly like the FFL system now. Then you're required to hold on to that code for 7 years. No where does it mandate "proving" that you bought the gun legally. That's something that's being drummed up, but I don't see it happening.

    However, even if it did - you simply provide a copy of the form that has the approval code you and the seller wrote in when it was called in for approval. No need for a database. That's just one way of doing it.
    So only people who are already criminals can commit a criminal act with a gun? Huh...what a concept...
    OD* likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

  15. #134
    Senior Member Array Jemsaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    az
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Furthermore, Mrs. Martial Archer works in healthcare. She would like to make a few comments about those executive orders so I'm turning her loose....

    (#16) "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes". The information your doctor collects, his assessments and procedures are all broken down into codes and submitted on an insurance claim form. Even if you have no insurance, the data is still coded and transmitted. Insurance carriers like Medicare and Medicaid require certain codes on a claim before they will pay the healthcare provider. Meaning that your gun ownership status collected by the doctor could be coded and required before the doctor is paid. Also collected on that claim are mental health diagnosis and reasons for prescribing medications. The government isn’t going to require you to register your gun; your doctor is going to do it for them.

    (#2) Part of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guarantees that your private healthcare information will be kept private except as necessary to get paid or to give to your next provider of care. So what are the "Unnecessary" barriers that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system? Could this mean that if you are taking anti- anxiety meds like Prozac, this shows up in your back ground check? And if so then...(#4)would you then fall into the Attorney General category of "dangerous" individuals prohibited from having a gun?

    (#21) How could regulations of health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges/Obama Care Health Care Exchanges, i.e. the giant database in the cloud play into this?

    (#3) Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. Could this be accomplished by throwing more money to the states to help fund the unfunded mandates in Obama Care?

    While for many, Obama's executive orders may sound "reasonable", this could potentially be the biggest intrusion of the government into your personal life!

    And when did violence become a disease? (#14)
    These are very well reasoned, except for #2. Actually, that's well reasoned as well, but I think you're missing the "mandated reporter" element. HIPAA does not negate mandated reporting. I see this not as a new element, but reinforcing the "Threat to self or other" part of mandated reporting. Can it be abused? Absolutely, but there's not as much new here as I think some are making it out to be.

    And your comment about gun control and disease . . . yeah, asked the same question earlier. Quite ignorant, isn't it? Drives me up a wall.

  16. #135
    Senior Member Array Jemsaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    az
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    So only people who are already criminals can commit a criminal act with a gun? Huh...what a concept...
    Sorry, that's a completely illogical step. No where were we talking about who can commit crimes, or how it would play out concerning stopping crimes. The discussion was about whether total background checks must end in gun registration. Your comment has nothing to do with that discussion.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

executive actions obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan
,
firearm background check violates hippa
,

list of the 19 new gun regulations

,
obama - #18 sro
,
obama anti gun proposal pdf
,

official executive actions obama plans anti-gun violence plan pdf

,
on prozac not allowed to buy gun
,
private rifle sales across state lines
,

review of recent anti-gun actions by government

,
turbo tax antigun
,
we don't know what's in it until we pass it obamacare
,
what is the aca as mentioned in obama's anti-gun violence plan?
Click on a term to search for related topics.