Rounded Out Gun Stable

This is a discussion on Rounded Out Gun Stable within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That 1895 is one sweet looking gun Betty. I've collected some and some have collect me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rounded Out Gun Stable

Senior Moderator
    That 1895 is one sweet looking gun Betty.

I've collected some and some have collect me.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Love Winchester '95s best of all the Winchester lever-action rifles and I really love them all. Love the old Winchester '97 as well. If John Browning designed it, I'm willing to have it!

Here's a .405 WCF chambered Winchester Model 1895 from 1904 that has been kept around here for many years.

Here's an old scanned photo of a Winchester '97 from 1914 that was kept here for years but since gone away. It was put to work too. I have a parts grade '97 on hand that needs a rebuild.

Only about 15 firearms see regular, serious use around here though the rest are fired as the mood strikes. No safe queens here. The rest were specifically acquired to pursue some collecting theme such as U.S. military, British military, Winchester, Smith & Wesson, Colt etc. Then the collection also has gone off in tangents. Where it's gonna stop no on knows.
    Betty and pgrass101 like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Here's three of my babies, the model 97 and 95 (the third is in my tummy - this is an older photo). As you can see, the stock is not original on the 95. I believe the stock is from a Swedish Mauser. I figure the Russians did whatever they had to do. But that's ok, I think it adds some good history to the piece, and I have no intention of putting an original stock back on.

Attachment 66830
    Thanks for sharing Betty, those are really great looking pieces. Congrats on the baby in the belly!
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Love Winchester '95s best of all the Winchester lever-action rifles and I really love them all. Love the old Winchester '97 as well. If John Browning designed it, I'm willing to have it!

Here's a .405 WCF chambered Winchester Model 1895 from 1904 that has been kept around here for many years.

Here's an old scanned photo of a Winchester '97 from 1914 that was kept here for years but since gone away. It was put to work too. I have a parts grade '97 on hand that needs a rebuild.

Only about 15 firearms see regular, serious use around here though the rest are fired as the mood strikes. No safe queens here. The rest were specifically acquired to pursue some collecting theme such as U.S. military, British military, Winchester, Smith & Wesson, Colt etc. Then the collection also has gone off in tangents. Where it's gonna stop no on knows.
    I don't know if it's just me/my PC but I can't see any of the pics and would love to. Thx.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You might want to add a lever action rifle chambered in .357 Magnum since you carry a revolver chambered in it also. There's a lot of merit for HD, woods, hunting, etc. in having a rifle and handgun chambered in the same round. My Marlin 1896C with the properly loaded round is effective for deer to about 100 yards or so (in the woods as opposed to an open field, that's not bad). Hogs, coyotes, groundhogs, and other medium to small game its good too. It can also shoot .38 Special just like your revolver. That gives you more ammo options for the situation at hand.
    So a 357 rifle is like a 357 handgun? You can use any 357 & 38 ammo?

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing Betty, those are really great looking pieces. Congrats on the baby in the belly!
    Noooo, that photo is almost four years old. THAT baby is running around now.

Foreigners are also welcome in my stable:

luger.jpg
    bmcgilvray and pgrass101 like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by mhiggi02 View Post
    I don't know if it's just me/my PC but I can't see any of the pics and would love to. Thx.
    Odd. The photos even show up in your post No. 19 where you quoted my post No. 17. I thinking it must have to do with your equipment.

Love the Luger too Betty. I have a Luger as well. It represents one of those tangents, a sort of World War focus I guess. I'm grateful to see you posting here again. The earliest memory I have of the Forum, and the real reason I joined after taking a peek inside, is your Winchester Model 1895 and a post you made about its acquisition.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I've never quite understood the terminology of "high-powered rifle" other than something the left likes to insert into their diatribe about how evil firearms are. "High-powered" compared to what? What measure of "power" makes it "high-powered"?
    This is a bit obscure and is being drawn from memory so take it with a grain of salt, but I've understood "high-powered rifle" to originate with the introduction of the .30 WCF, otherwise known as the .30-30 and the introduction production of the .30-40 in sporting arms. Both the .30 WCF cartridge and the sporting chambering of the then current military cartridge, the .30-40, originated with Winchester in the 1890s. I'm thinking that their marketing department coined the term for use in advertising copy of the day. It would seem that the 2000 fps threshold passed by these cartridges and similar developments was considered the standard of performance for high-powered rifles. At least that is the way I'm recalling it. The term came into general use and remains even after muzzle velocities marched ever higher with newer cartridge developments, to over 4000 fps in some instances.

Yes there have been center fire rifle cartridges that could be considered to be low-powered yet remained immensely popular for many years after the acceptance of the performance advantages of high-powered rifle cartridges. Common, once popular, or still popular cartridges would include: the .25-20, .32-20, .38-40, .44-40 line for Winchester and other small-framed rifles. The .32-40, .38-55, and .45-70 would fall into the category as well as many others that could be named. More modern examples could be the .30 Carbine, .357 Magnum (when used in a rifle), and the .44 Magnum. All of these cartridges would offer less power and less long-range effectiveness than the typical high-powered rifle cartridge due to both velocity and trajectory limitations.

There could be said to be intermediate-powered cartridges. The 7.62X39 is the most obvious example. It easily breaks the 2000 fps velocity threshold but its short, stubby, lightweight bullet limits it's long-range effectiveness. The old .351 Winchester cartridge could be considered to be in this category. It offers both a pleasing bullet diameter (.351 inch) and attractive bullet weight (180 grains) but doesn't quite make it to 2000 fps. It's a good short-range big game number though now it is now obsolete. I'd personally add the .223 Remington/5.56 NATO and similar varmint cartridges to this list but most consider the round to be a high-powered rifle cartridge.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Rounded Out Gun Stable

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Odd. The photos even show up in your post No. 19 where you quoted my post No. 17. I thinking it must have to do with your equipment.

Love the Luger too Betty. I have a Luger as well. It represents one of those tangents, a sort of World War focus I guess. I'm grateful to see you posting here again. The earliest memory I have of the Forum, and the real reason I joined after taking a peek inside, is your Winchester Model 1895 and a post you made about its acquisition.
    I see them now, two beautiful examples. Thanks for sharing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

-Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links