Rounded Out Gun Stable

Rounded Out Gun Stable

This is a discussion on Rounded Out Gun Stable within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I've bought and sold a number of different firearms as I tried to find MY perfect CCW EDC. Now, 7 years into my pursuit, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rounded Out Gun Stable

Rounded Out Gun Stable

Well I've bought and sold a number of different firearms as I tried to find MY perfect CCW EDC. Now, 7 years into my pursuit, I think I have a very balanced stable of firearms each fitting an intended purpose. Not nearly the number that many of you have I'm sure, but all of mine fit all of my stated needs:

Ruger LCR .357 Magnum - EDC (pocket or IWB in Remora - I live in FL)
    Glock 19 - secondary carry piece and night stand gun
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga - primary home defense gun
    Saiga AK-47 - everyone needs at least one high powered rifle chambered in a widely available caliber
    Marlin Model 60 - fun to plink with, cheap and plentiful ammo, effective as a survival gun if ever needed (small game, etc.).

Have you planned your collection or just end up with it?
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

A little of both. I have focused on a "one in each category" approach before adding more the each category. There are different roles for different tools and to that end I am still collecting. Eventually it will get to the point of, I just want it, and I would say that I am pretty close to being able to diversify for entertainments sake.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mhiggi02 View Post
    high powered rifle
    I've never quite understood the terminology of "high-powered rifle" other than something the left likes to insert into their diatribe about how evil firearms are. "High-powered" compared to what? What measure of "power" makes it "high-powered"?

Have you planned your collection or just end up with it?
    Semi-planned. I collect military surplus focusing on British firearms (born and raised there) but have a few others, mostly Russian (cheap and they work well), that have found their way into the safe due to good deals. My other (more modern) firearms mostly serve a purpose, such as defense or sport, but again there's a couple of "funsies" and good deals in there.

Basically I try to be logical but often stray!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I've never quite understood the terminology of "high-powered rifle" other than something the left likes to insert into their diatribe about how evil firearms are. "High-powered" compared to what? What measure of "power" makes it "high-powered"?
    The intent of my expression "high powered rifle" was one that could be relied upon to take down larger animals (whether 4- or 2-legged). I don't consider my Marlin 60 to fit into that category.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

-Ronald Reagan

The intent of my expression "high powered rifle" was one that could be relied upon to take down larger animals (whether 4- or 2-legged). I don't consider my Marlin 60 to fit into that category.
    Fair enough I've just never really heard of the terminology used in any way other than a derogatory one, so was curious as to what pro-firearms folks think the terminology means.

VIP Member
    I planned some of my collection and the rest of the collection found me.

I'm an equal opportunity gun owner - new or old, black plastic or old wood, wheeled, tube fed or detachable magazine, long or short, they are all welcome in my home.

I do admit I have my favorites, and they are the senior citizens - my Winchester 1897 and Winchester 1895 (7.62x54r). 12 gauge shotguns have always been my favorite firearm, and I simply love the mechanics and history behind the 1895.
    gasmitty and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Rounded Out Gun Stable

I would love to have an 1895 Betty. Got a pic of yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

-Ronald Reagan

My goal is VERY similar to yours. I have some of the same guns as you. But as I'm still a bit young in the gun collecting area, 24, all of my guns now are purpose guns.

I love my Marlin Mod 60, 18+1 rounds... by far the most fun to plink with.

Also looking for a pocket carry / ankle carry.. how does your LCR do in your pocket and which do you carry it in?

Sweet collection mhiggi02 !
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Rounded Out Gun Stable

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    My goal is VERY similar to yours. I have some of the same guns as you. But as I'm still a bit young in the gun collecting area, 24, all of my guns now are purpose guns.

I love my Marlin Mod 60, 18+1 rounds... by far the most fun to plink with.

Also looking for a pocket carry / ankle carry.. how does your LCR do in your pocket and which do you carry it in?

Sweet collection mhiggi02 !
    Thanks DandLfam. I carry the LCR in my right front pocket 70% of the time and do it rather comfortably. Balance I carry it IWB in a Remora. I'm also looking for a good high riding OWB rig for it as well. Good luck!

DandLfam likes this.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

-Ronald Reagan

You're not done until you own a 1911. Every collection should include one IMO.
    DandLfam likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

You might want to add a lever action rifle chambered in .357 Magnum since you carry a revolver chambered in it also. There's a lot of merit for HD, woods, hunting, etc. in having a rifle and handgun chambered in the same round. My Marlin 1896C with the properly loaded round is effective for deer to about 100 yards or so (in the woods as opposed to an open field, that's not bad). Hogs, coyotes, groundhogs, and other medium to small game its good too. It can also shoot .38 Special just like your revolver. That gives you more ammo options for the situation at hand.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Rounded Out Gun Stable

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You might want to add a lever action rifle chambered in .357 Magnum since you carry a revolver chambered in it also. There's a lot of merit for HD, woods, hunting, etc. in having a rifle and handgun chambered in the same round. My Marlin 1896C with the properly loaded round is effective for deer to about 100 yards or so (in the woods as opposed to an open field, that's not bad). Hogs, coyotes, groundhogs, and other medium to small game its good too. It can also shoot .38 Special just like your revolver. That gives you more ammo options for the situation at hand.
    That's a great suggestion BugDude, thanks. A lever action has been on my want list and your suggestion may have just rounded out the caliber for me.

Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Fair enough I've just never really heard of the terminology used in any way other than a derogatory one, so was curious as to what pro-firearms folks think the terminology means.
    IMHO, I would not think a 22lr would be high powered, now to me, 300 win mag, 308, 338, both also Lapua, those are high powered to me. I know there are many more, but those are the ones I want. LOL!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Cool...glad I could help. I love mine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I would love to have an 1895 Betty. Got a pic of yours?
    Here's three of my babies, the model 97 and 95 (the third is in my tummy - this is an older photo). As you can see, the stock is not original on the 95. I believe the stock is from a Swedish Mauser. I figure the Russians did whatever they had to do. But that's ok, I think it adds some good history to the piece, and I have no intention of putting an original stock back on.

winchesters.jpg
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links