"Universal" Background Checks...For or Against?

This is a discussion on "Universal" Background Checks...For or Against? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In favor of universal background checks? Ummm... That would be a NO!...

View Poll Results: Universal Background Checks? Good idea? Yes or No

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES...we need it to make sure that only the right people can buy guns

31 17.42%
  • NO...bad idea, just another step to eventual confiscation

121 67.98%
  • Not sure...havent figured it out yet.

20 11.24%
  • Dont Care...I'm not a crook, so it dosen't affect me.

6 3.37%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: "Universal" Background Checks...For or Against?

In favor of universal background checks? Ummm... That would be a NO!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

After reading all the replies and deciding that the cons certainly outweigh the pros, and knowing just how manipulitave our government can be. I decided I'd rather not be apart of such a scheme. So, it's a NO for me as well. I originally thought it wouldn't be such a bad thing to close the Gun Show loophole, but it should have been more obvious to me that government would always expand that law to further infring upon other areas of our second amendment rights. So, for the record. GBK says NO!

Update: I even deleted my original thoughts on the subject from the other thread I participated in.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

You know.....you can delete them, but you can't Unthink what has been Thought.

Austin

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The gangbanger illegally selling a stolen gun out of the trunk of his stolen car to another criminal gangbanger will not bother to run a background check using his nifty backgroundcheck app on his stolen iPhone before he grabs the stolen cash from his illegal customer. So NO, I do not support something that only infringes on me, the law-abiding citizen, and does nothing to impact actual criminal behavior.
    I came here to say exactly this...

Criminals could care less about background checks... Universal background checks only infringe upon lawful access to arms.

If a bully is stealing lunch money on the playground, should we check student ID to purchase lunch tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Guns are like sex and air...it's no big deal until YOU can't get any...
    Uh oh I think BugDude was talking about me at least the first two parts.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by From the poll
    YES...we need it to make sure that only the right people can buy guns
    Absolutely not in our interests to have "effective" criminals out there. I'm absolutely for lawful and effective steps to keep violent criminals away from citizens.

But NOT at the expense of unlawful, unconstitutional breaches of liberty of citizens.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Against.

line-in-the-sand.jpg

Don't we already have this topic running with 12 pages of responses Who Disagrees with universal background checks?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

In NC, even to do a person to person sale, you are still required to have a pistol purchase permit (PPP). The individual wanting to purchase a weapon, even from an FFL, must first get a PPP from the Sheriff’s office. This entails a background check and cost $5 (last I checked). With this PPP, FFLs are allowed to sell you a weapon. If you have a concealed carry permit, you are exempt from needing a PPP and you permit is used instead of a PPP. Your permit is renewed every 5 years or revoked if required. A mental health background check is also conducted for the concealed carry permit. I don’t know if they do that one for a PPP. No weapons information is tranfered other than the paperwork the FFL does. The PPP only is for the person, not the gun. There is a way to skin a cat.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    My question, how can you possibly regulate private transfers and require universal background checks without first requiring registration?
    Yeah I haven't figured that out either
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    No......I understand some concerns like BelaOkmyx's:

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    A very qualified YES, for a few good reasons.

1. All my firearms I bought from a FFL, which means there already is a record of the transactions and that I was the purchaser. If I sell those guns to anyone else, and they turn up at a crime scene, and the cops check the serial numbers, where does that leave me? We all know that we are responsible for our guns and every bullet that comes out of them. What is the difference between me selling a gun to someone without a background check and may be a criminal, and just leaving it loaded and visible in my unlocked car for someone to take and commit a crime with? I don't call that being responsible for your gun. I had to pass a background check to buy and no way in Helsinki am I going to transfer a weapon to anyone who didn't go through the same check. Because if he's buying from me and not a FFL I'll bet you a donut it's because he can't pass the background check.......
    ...however, TODAY you can go to a FFL dealer of your choice if you wish to sell a gun privately between individuals! If you're worried that you want to protect yourself in case the buyer does something illegal...then by all means pursue it. It isn't free & even if or when the government requires it...IT WON'T BE FREE! If you suspect the purchaser is a potential criminal...then shame on you for selling it to him. BUT DON'T force the rest of us, just because "All my firearms I bought from a FFL". A lot of people get them from friends & relatives.

I to have made most purchases thru FFLs (not all, but a majority)...& since I live in Virginia the NICS check is done by the FFL. However, in all my purchase thru an FFL for the last 7-8 years...every check has been delayed. This has caused me to not make some purchases or to have to wait for days while the 'instant check' gets finished. Can you imagine the backlog if EVERY firearm transaction has to be signed off by by some government bureaucrat working for a government that doesn't want you to own a firearm to begin with?

I'll give you a couple of examples of why this would be ridiculous to require a FFL to be involved in all transactions: Years ago I gave my father-in-law a firearm that he wanted. I bought it & gifted it to him. A couple of years ago when he died, my mother-in-law gave it back to me. Under a scheme that requires a FFL to be involved, I would have paid for & been 'checked' THREE times instead of just ONCE during original purchase. I have also done the same for my father, daughter, son-in-law & nephews....not to mention my wife. I give a lot of firearms as gifts.

If I want to sell or give a firearm to someone I know, I don't want to have to go through any additional costs or the chance of registration by the government.

I also want to be able to leave firearms for relatives in my will. I don't want them to go through a FFL to be given my personal property....It's bad enough the government is going to get part of my estate thru 'death duty' taxes....I darn sure don't want them getting their grubby mitts on firearms that I have been collecting all of my adult life as well.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    voted NO,

How about we do a background check on all the politicians that are in favor of Gun Control first.. Fast and Furious ring any bells?

I've sold a few guns before. Unless I personally know you very well, or are immediate family, I am going to go through a FFL and you are going to have to pass a NICS check. I think selling a gun person-to-person to someone who you do not know very well is irresponsible without a NICS check.

The new crazy law in NY does exempt immediate family from the NICS requirement, defined as spouses, children, and step children. I would like to see that definition expanded - include grandparents, for example, and grandchildren.

I did not vote because there is no option for "yes except for family."
    Last edited by 10thmtn; January 17th, 2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarity
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The number Pres. Obama gave at the recent press conference of purchases stopped by FBI background checks (1.5 million?)...and the assertion that these denials prevented a huge number of crimes...is very misleading.
    In an interview yesterday, John Lott noted that more than 99% of these denials were later reversed ('false positives caused by confusion over names, birthdates, etc. in the FBI data base).
    Are background checks ever effective? I'm sure they've prevented some BGs from trying to buy over the counter.
    But the rheteric is always over-the-top and misleading at best.
    If you can't trust them now...why would you trust them about anything concerning new laws, registration, etc.?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Nope - "not one more inch"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links