Random and General Questions

This is a discussion on Random and General Questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I returned my SKYY CPX1 pistol. I loved the trigger pull and the sights, but I was having reliability issues. Now I'm looking primarily at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random and General Questions

I returned my SKYY CPX1 pistol. I loved the trigger pull and the sights, but I was having reliability issues.

Now I'm looking primarily at the following:

- Sig Sauer P229
    - HK Compact
    - Springfield HD9 Subcompact

I have some questions, though:

- What is S&W when discussing amunition?
    - What is ACP?
    - Does the Springfield have second strike capability?
    - What does "sight radius" refer to?

Does anyone have experience with all three of these guns?

I initially didn't want a carry piece without a safety, but I really like the Springfield's trigger and grip safety.

I like the HK, but the first trigger pull makes it impossible for me to hit my point of aim.

I like the Sig, but I don't recall seeing any safety at all on it.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

40 S&W mean's short and weak opps i ment Smith and wesson since they made the 40

acp automatic colt pistol but you only really see this with 45ACP anymore

Springfield XD no second strike same as glock

Sight radius is the length between front sight and rear sight

I've had 2 sig 229s and have a XD( subcompact all were good guns but sigs don't work for me no exp with the HK

Sig has no external safety

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I have a Service XD 9, I like it alot, but I prefer my government 1911. I'm a pretty good shot with the XD, and the only problem I've had was the infamous rust problem that they took care of in less than two weeks.

My opinion is the XD line as far as combat tupperware goes is superior to Glock, but it's just my preference

I've only held the H&K and the Sig so I have no opinion

S&W as in .40 caliber Smith & Wesson is because S&W developed the round

ACP or Auto Colt Pistol
    GAP or Glock Auto Pistol
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Cool, thanks guys.

Why doesn't the XD have second strike? It's a DAO, right? I thought if you pull the trigger the result would be to strike whatever is in the chamber, which would be the old round if it doesn't fire.

I've too much to learn...

Bud, you say the Sigs don't work for you but you have had two of them. Can you explain a little more about the statement?

no its not a true DAO it uses a semi precocked striker its not a true dao and not a true single action kind of in between

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
    Bud, you say the Sigs don't work for you but you have had two of them. Can you explain a little more about the statement?
    Sure im left handed and the controls are in no way lefty friendly and i decided i didnt like the guns enough to change my training to use a sig only ..

So i carry a 1911 instead its pretty lefty friendly .. i had the 229sas and while being more lefty friendly i couldn't get it to hit poa for me at all so it was gone less than a month after i bought it ..

You will find some guns just plain don't work for you

AceRider,

If I could make a suggestion it would be to get the xd. If you're looking for a first self defense gun I think it's the best choice of those you mentioned. The safeties are excellent, and the likelihood that you'll need "second strike" capability is remote with good ammo from ANY company. The fact that you like the trigger on the xd also helped convince me that it's the gun for you. Hitting what you're aiming at and not having a negligent discharge is far more important than having a second strike capability. Also consider that they now offer the xd in 45. I own one and consider it to be the finest tupperware gun I've ever shot.

I have an XD Sub and an HK USP Compact, both 9mm. I bought the XD last Spring and loved it, still do! I just bought the HK a couple weeks ago, and now shooting the XD feels much more uncomfortable for me. My XD is a fine weapon and has been 100% reliable so far with 1000-1500rds through it (rough estimate), and it's much cheaper than the HK.

I bought the HK because, like you, I wanted an actual safety lever that I could manipulate. I have a Variant 1 of USP = DA/SA, decocker and safety (mounted left side).

Also, size-wise, the USPc is not too much bigger than the XD Subcompact. The HK is maybe 1/2" taller or so (with the XD's 10rd mag in), a little bit longer, and as thin or slightly thinner than the XD...from my observations anyway.

KAD, why does the XD feel uncomfortable now?

Is it because of the trigger pull relative to the second pull onwards SA of the HK?

I know that I hate the HK's first pull. It's like weightlifting...

Yeah, I don't like the long pull on the HK, but it feels better than the DA pull of any others I've tried! Definitely nicer than my Beretta 96's pull.

The actual feel of the trigger on the HK seems better to me. Not talking about the operation, but how it feels against my finger...not sure how to explain it, but it feels better to me. I've also found that the XD's grip safety, although very easy to depress, just feels a little "different" and a little uncomfortable now. Prior to buying the HK the XD felt better than anything else. These are all purely my observations for my hand. What I like about one gun, someone else will dislike, etc.

Hopefully my range will have the following in either 9 or 45 mm, because they are my top 4 choices:

- HK Subcompact
    - Sig P229
    - Taurus PT
    - Springfield XD

All of the above guns are fine quality guns. One suggestion though: go to a range and shoot as many different guns as possible.

Two reasons. One is that you may find that you like one over the others.

Two, your price ranges are kind of all over the board.

If you are buying new, expect the HK and Sigs to both be between the mid-$600 to mid-$800 ranges. Possibly more depending on your area.

The Springer will run you in the $500's+/-, again depending on your area.

The Taurus line can be found below $500 if you look hard enough.

In reality, you are looking at a pontential $300 difference from the lowest to highest. If that doesn't make any difference, then go for what you like. I know with me $300 can make the difference between getting and not getting, at least for now.

I don't have a 229 yet but have a Sig 2340. I have HK USP 45 FS and XD9 SC. Love all these guns very reliable and accurate. Never had any rust problems with the XD and I got mines a month or two after it was released. What helps me in deciding is actually handling the gun or guns I'm interested in purchasing. See which guns feels right to you.

I agree with what Purple said about price ranges. Check around town and online. I bought my XD-9SC from Sportsman's Warehouse for $459 + tax this Spring. They have consistently been the best on prices in my area. Gander Mtn wanted $500+ for the same gun and if you wanted the extra goodies (holster, mag loader, mag holder) that are supposed to come with the gun, Gander would charge another $25-30 or so!! ***?! I wanted to buy my XD from my local gun shop where I shoot, but their prices are the highest in the area from what I've found... $565 for the XD-9SC.

I did a lot of research prior to buying my HK USPc. I checked with all the local stores and several online sites as well. I could've gotten the USPc for about $110 cheaper at www.budsgunshop.com, but after shipping and FFL fees, I wouldn't be saving too terribly much. The only place in town that had one to even hold and feel was my local range. I knew they'd be high and they were... $785 or so. I paid $840 out the door, NIB. I know I could've saved if I had ordered online, and Sportsman's probably could've ordered it for less too, but I really wanted to try and give my money to the little guys for once. I always feel bad for going in to look at their guns, hold them, have the guy spend time telling be about it, only to buy the same thing elsewhere. But this time I had extra money from working an extra week, so I thought I'd toss it their way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links