Newbie with an S&W AR15-22 plinker, have some questions

This is a discussion on Newbie with an S&W AR15-22 plinker, have some questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Folks, don't kill me please, but I am spanking new to this gun, and the seller is not the kind to give handy advice. I'll ...

Folks, don't kill me please, but I am spanking new to this gun, and the seller is not the kind to give handy advice.

I'll be at the range this weekend, but I don't know what I'm doing. Not shooting in general, just how this gun works. I loaded a few snap caps in the magazine, took the safety off and pulled the trigger...nothing (I know it is a snap cap, but what is supposed to occur?). Now what?

Can anyone point my dumb behind to some instructions?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Did you pull the charging handle and load a snap cap? (charging handle is the T handle right ontop of the stock slides back to charge the gun.

Basically insert magazine, Using your pointer and middle finger pull back on the charging handle, and release it. Let the spring does its job and fling the bolt forward. This should load the snap cap.

I would recommend not dry firing the MP-15-22 unless you have loaded a snap cap.

To unload the gun. Remove the magazine FIRST!

Then,

Pull the charging handle to the rear, while holding the charging handle to the rear push on the bottom of the bolt catch. (Bolt catch located on the left side of the gun, looks like a ping pong paddle). While holding the charging handle to the rear Push the bottom of the bolt catch and realease the charging handle. This should hold your bolt open.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Well, I guess if were I you I would start with the manual. If you do not have one then I would use the internet to look up videos on that gun. You may want to seek some help from another experienced shooter. Thats all I can think of for now. Good luck. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Did you pull the charging handle and load a snap cap? (charging handle is the T handle right ontop of the stock slides back to charge the gun.

Basically insert magazine, Using your pointer and middle finger pull back on the charging handle, and release it. Let the spring does its job and fling the bolt forward. This should load the snap cap.

I tried that and all it does is eject the snap cap from the bolt. I don't want to damage the pin by dry firing it. Maybe it is ejecting the previous snap cap already loaded in the chamber?

Did you move the safety to the Fire position? AFter you charged it? I guess I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to do.

Are you just trying to get familiar with the gun? or are you trying to learn how to load and unload it?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Just curios where in jersey are you located?

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest red the manual and watch a few you tube videos. A standard AR works the same , just a larger caliber.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I would suggest red the manual and watch a few you tube videos. A standard AR works the same , just a larger caliber.
    Sounds like he doesn't have a manual?

Lead Moderator
    Here is a good basic video full size AR , works the same though.
    How to Operate an AR-15 (Black Rifle 101) - YouTube
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

First I would recommend learning about the basic operation of the rifle. All rifles based on the AR/M4 design operate the same way. If you pull back on the charging handle (let it go when it reaches full rearward motion, don't "ride" it forward) and the safety is off but the firing pin doesn't release when you pull the trigger then it sounds like something is wrong. You may need to have a gunsmith take a look at it.

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks guys. I may have mislaid the manual, so I'll read the PDF.

Rib, I am located in East Windsor. Are you in the area?

Links